lcp slide porosity?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TurboQueef

Bearcat
I was cleaning my LCP today and noticed what looks like porosity (holds in casting / surface). I don't recall seeing these before. In addition to the holes it looks like the firing pin back stop is starting to break away in the area of the ejector. Photos below show the condition.

I would like to know if anyone knows if this is normal and I just did not notice it before .. or if it is a sign of some damage.

I did send an inquiry to Ruger.. will post updates as they arrive.

Thanks,

jeff

bbf1.jpg

bbf2.jpg

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Looks like mine did brand new 3 years ago and still looks today after a few thousand rounds. My friend bought an LCP shortly after I did and it didn't look like that. Mine looks just like yours near the extractor. I didn't sweat it. But my 372-series LCP doesn't have any issues like yours near the breach face. That looks abnormal.

Pappygator

Bearcat
TurboQueef said:
Pappygator said:
What kind of ammo have you been shooting. Heavy loads might do this.

Mostly I shoot 95 grain target ammo, occasional 90 grain hydra-shok jhp

I don't see how these should be the problem. Interesting to see what Ruger says. Sometimes reloads can be loaded a little hot and damage the breach face.

TurboQueef

Bearcat
George said:
Jeff,
When did you get your LCP? Wonder if it's a early run of them.. Whats the fired case date shipped with the gun ? Thanks. First time I have seen this.. George

I purchased the gun in May of 2012, sorry I don't have the fired case date (box went missing)

George

Blackhawk
From your first photo I don't see how that could be normal. Maybe the person that looked at the photo's didn't have any real knowledge of what they were looking at " sometimes hard to see in a photo"... I bet if you get a shipping label sent to you and you sent in the slide they would send you a new one.. I have seen slides replaced for less.. George

TurboQueef

Bearcat
Pappygator said:
I think George is spot on. I'm surprised they aren't begging you to return it.

I am surprised too but to be honest I could not remember if it has always been that way. Thanks for the feedback everyone.. I will pursue it further with Ruger...

Jeff

TurboQueef said:
Pappygator said:
I think George is spot on. I'm surprised they aren't begging you to return it.

I am surprised too but to be honest I could not remember if it has always been that way. Thanks for the feedback everyone.. I will pursue it further with Ruger...

Jeff

Please let us know how this turns out. Thanks

George

Blackhawk
Yep do let us know how you make out.. Even if it was that way when you got it it's still a defect in material. Ruger will fix it if you send it in. Also where that chunk is out of it by the extractor it could become unreliable at any time.. George

98Redline

Blackhawk
Certainly looks like a casting defect to me.

My LCP does not look that way and I probably have 1000 rounds through it.

Call them and tell them you have what appears to be a missing chunk out of the breech face. Don't send pics. Let them send you a call tag and ship it back to them for inspection. My guess is that you will end up with a new slide.

George

Blackhawk
Jeff, I have two new Ruger LC9's and both are unfired.. They both have the same V notch under the extractor as your LCP. We should have a new LCP about mid week next week and I can confirm if that looks the same too!! Sorry I just never seen anything like that on any pistol before.. I think I'm wrong and your LCP, it may be Ok.. But will let you know for sure next week.. George

George

Blackhawk
JUst got the New LCP in yesterday and it a 03-2013 gun and it looks just like your gun does so i would say you gun is fine.. Sorry I just never seen anything like that.. I would bet it's made like that so ruger could use the extractors they have... Guess there is no other way of installing them without that V groove cut like that under the extractor.. George