My Glocks and my 1911's made SR-9's!!! :)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HS-LD

Bearcat
Had a bunch of Glocks. 3-17's, a 19, and 2-26's. Too fat, no thumb safety and the Gen 4's spit brass at my forehead. Other than those things they're great guns. (I do realize that number 1 and 2 items are my subjective opinions, but hey, I'm the one shooting the guns. The brass to the face thing is just wrong by anyone's standards, though.)

Had a few 1911's. A Para GI Expert and a couple of S&W E series. Love the thinness, thumb safety and quality feel, but not happy with 4 mag changes instead of 1 for the same amount of lead downrange...

Used to have some SR-9's before I got the Glocks. Came back from some run and gun last week and realized: SR-9 means thin, thumb safety, 17 rounds and the same reliability and quality as Glock with no unsolvable brass to face issues.

So I picked up a SR-9B yesterday. And I'm getting an SR-9c too when funds allow. It's taken me a few years and some shooting to realize exactly how good the design is on the SR-9's. Glad I figured it out before any silly laws get passed or some such stupidity.

Hey, is there any listing anywhere on the web with the subtle changes Ruger has made to these over the years. I see the front is different now with the SR40 cutouts. Wish they would come out with a Flat Dark Earth Frame like the old OD frame! I saw a Carbon Fiber SR9-c framed one today.

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
Jim Luke said:
the same reliability and quality as Glock

I don't like the Glock...but the SR9 is not the same quality and will not have the same reliability of a Glock, over the life of the gun.

no dog in the hunt but but willing to listen why.............

Jim Puke

Hunter
chefrob1 said:
Jim Luke said:
the same reliability and quality as Glock

I don't like the Glock...but the SR9 is not the same quality and will not have the same reliability of a Glock, over the life of the gun.

no dog in the hunt but but willing to listen why.............

Like it or not, there is 25yrs of service history to support the fact that the Glock pistol is the most durable, and reliable mass produced semi auto pistol that has ever been produced. As I said, I do not care for them, but the fact remains that it is the standard by which all others are judged.

Personally, I will take a 1911 over any semi auto...but I am not under the illusion that they are better than the Glock, it is just MY gun.

No dog in this fight. I like my Glocks. Not ready to part with them, but...

I DID own 2 1911s. Well several more than that over the years, but my recent 2 turned into a nice amount of cash and a CZ. If autos, I'm thinking of adding some more Sigs to my collection of CZs and Glocks. If revolvers, more Rugers!

HS-LD

Bearcat
Jim Luke said:
Like it or not, there is 25yrs of service history to support the fact that the Glock pistol is the most durable, and reliable mass produced semi auto pistol that has ever been produced. As I said, I do not care for them, but the fact remains that it is the standard by which all others are judged.

Personally, I will take a 1911 over any semi auto...but I am not under the illusion that they are better than the Glock, it is just MY gun.

Gen 1, Gen 2 maybe. Legendary quality and reliability, the guns Glock made their reputation on. Gen 3 late model and Gen 4, about the same quality and reliability as everyone else out there. Very good, not legendary. Especially when you come back from the range with visions of brass flying at your eyeballs.

So I disagree when you say the SR-9 will never be as good. We don't know yet, and as far as I can see it right now, the Ruger's are as good or better than the Gen 3 late models and gen 4 Glocks.

Proof: Ruger SR-9's have no unfixable systemic issues like the unsolved brass to the face problem of late model Glocks. Just sayin' And I own 2 Glocks that send brass EVERYWHERE and hit me in the head 3 out of 17 each time. And I have read the 3 year old 20 page thread on Glock talk addressing this to which there is no concrete solution yet. If the original Gen 1's worked to the same standards and levels the Gen 4's are now, Glock would have went under years ago. The 25 year service history has hit the reset button for sure at Gen 4. It's now a 2 year service history and my Gen 4's are not up to scratch by any measure at all. If they didn't say Glock on the sides I would consider them poor at best, heck they have an unsolved functional issue.

BUT, this isn't a thread about how Glocks suck, or Rugers are better than Glocks. This is intended as a thread about how I like the SR-9 design for me. Like you said, the 1911 is your gun. My point is that I'm happy that I have found "my" gun. And I am not under any delusions of how much better they are than anything else, but on the other hand I can't perpetuate the legendary status of the new Glocks that have not earned it yet and still have some issues that need to be worked out. A reputation is hard won or lost. If my Gen 4's worked like my Gen 1, I'd be in the Glock forum not here talking about how I like Sr-9's! :)

Jim Puke

Hunter
HS-LD said:
Proof: Ruger SR-9's have no unfixable systemic issues like the unsolved brass to the face problem of late model Glocks. Just sayin' And I own 2 Glocks that send brass EVERYWHERE and hit me in the head 3 out of 17 each time. And I have read the 3 year old 20 page thread on Glock talk addressing this to which there is no concrete solution yet. If the original Gen 1's worked to the same standards and levels the Gen 4's are now, Glock would have went under years ago. The 25 year service history has hit the reset button for sure at Gen 4. It's now a 2 year service history and my Gen 4's are not up to scratch by any measure at all. If they didn't say Glock on the sides I would consider them poor at best, heck they have an unsolved functional issue.

These problems of brass and malfunction issues are not nearly as pervasive as the folks at Glocktalk make them out to be. The overwhelming majority of Gen 3 and Gen 4 owners have not experienced these problems with their guns and law enforcement is continuing to purchase them. This is not to say that there are not some problems with the newer versions as is customary with a lot of revisions with anything. Even given the problems with the new Glocks, the SR series of Ruger pistols has to traverse light yrs in service to lay claim to anything approaching Glock's track record and this is a hurdle that will never be realized as law enforcement will never adopt them as I doubt seriously if they would match the performance in reliability or durability that any Gen Glock will. If the SR series had been sold in numbers comparable to Glocks and had been fired more than a tiny fraction of the rounds that Glock pistols have been, I have no doubt that some "systemic" problems would have manifested in them as well. If, as you suggest, Glock has hit the reset button with the current iteration, then we will see what their record looks like in 25yrs...and we will see if the SR's are even still around.

At any rate, you are the one that has to be pleased with your guns.

Best of luck with them.

HS-LD

Bearcat
Jim Luke said:
HS-LD said:

These problems of brass and malfunction issues are not nearly as pervasive as the folks at Glocktalk make them out to be. The overwhelming majority of Gen 3 and Gen 4 owners have not experienced these problems with their guns and law enforcement is continuing to purchase them. This is not to say that there are not some problems with the newer versions as is customary with a lot of revisions with anything. Even given the problems with the new Glocks, the SR series of Ruger pistols has to traverse light yrs in service to lay claim to anything approaching Glock's track record and this is a hurdle that will never be realized as law enforcement will never adopt them as I doubt seriously if they would match the performance in reliability or durability that any Gen Glock will. If the SR series had been sold in numbers comparable to Glocks and had been fired more than a tiny fraction of the rounds that Glock pistols have been, I have no doubt that some "systemic" problems would have manifested in them as well. If, as you suggest, Glock has hit the reset button with the current iteration, then we will see what their record looks like in 25yrs...and we will see if the SR's are even still around.

At any rate, you are the one that has to be pleased with your guns.

Best of luck with them.

Fair point, Sr-9's might be popular, but they probably will never see the commercial volume of use Glock has enjoyed.

Anecdotally, 2 out of my 3 Gen 4 Glock 17's have the brass everywhere problem and the third one doesn't because it's new in the box unfired, though it may be OK I think it will be sold before I ever find out. Same with my Gen 4 G26. (And no it's not me limp wristing or anything, my 2007 Gen 3 G19's make a nice neat pile of brass to my right.)

Your speculations on how poorly the SR-9s might do should a magic fairy wand be waved and they gain the market proliferation of Glock in the next 25 years is about as valid as my speculation that from what I've seen and experienced of recent Glock offerings that in my opinion their next 25 years aint gonna look like the trajectory of their last 25 years. Lets just hope the Rugers are better than your opinion of them and the Glocks are better than mine. :)

But my main point about Gen 4 and newer Gen 3's is that you just can't give them the Glock free pass of it's Glock it's Perfect. They are Glocks, they're not really better than anything else out there like they used to be as you seem to be suggesting. Hey if the performance was still Gen 1, 2, or early gen 3, I'd be right there with you singing the praises.

The marketing doesn't match the reality anymore unfortunately. Now if we could discuss Ruger's on the Ruger forum, that would be something... :)

Idaho Spud

Bearcat
Have had an SR9c and a 40 for 3 or so years and had no notions that they might be better than a Glock. Had peening issues with both which were quite easy to fix myself without a trip to Ruger. Absolutely no function issues with either. Wife decided she wanted a Glock of some kind for our collection. So I chose a 23, and a 3rd Gen so as to avert the BTF problem I'd heard so much about. No such luck. No matter the grip I used I got brass to the face with all ammo virtually every range session. Yes it does exist. Nothing makes me madder than getting line shots back to the kisser. Ask me which pistol is better and I'll say Ruger. Oh, more than 2500 rounds thru the SR9c and probably 1500-1600 in the SR40. Mebbee 7-800 thru the Glock, but it ain't gettin' any better. Just my limited experience with the 2 brands. I do consider BTF a malfunction.

HS-LD

Bearcat
Idaho Spud said:
Have had an SR9c and a 40 for 3 or so years and had no notions that they might be better than a Glock. Had peening issues with both which were quite easy to fix myself without a trip to Ruger. Absolutely no function issues with either. Wife decided she wanted a Glock of some kind for our collection. So I chose a 23, and a 3rd Gen so as to avert the BTF problem I'd heard so much about. No such luck. No matter the grip I used I got brass to the face with all ammo virtually every range session. Yes it does exist. Nothing makes me madder than getting line shots back to the kisser. Ask me which pistol is better and I'll say Ruger. Oh, more than 2500 rounds thru the SR9c and probably 1500-1600 in the SR40. Mebbee 7-800 thru the Glock, but it ain't gettin' any better. Just my limited experience with the 2 brands. I do consider BTF a malfunction.

But here's the kicker for me: Send the Glock back and it will come back with parts changed (maybe) and will still throw brass in your face. Send it back again and Glock will write you a letter saying your Glock is working within specs.

Send a malfunctioning SR back to Ruger and they will replace parts, test fire it and send it back. If it's still malfunctioning and you send it back again, most of the time they send you a completely new gun and one that works perfectly.

A reputation is based upon past performance. But right now is what's creating tomorrows reputation. Some company's aren't doing as well as they once were. That's called resting on your laurels. But I need a gun and a company that performs right here, and right now, I don't care about what they did yesterday or for the past 25 years if that aint what the deal is right now. The thing has to work right for the next 25 years, that's what I'm concerned with! :)

Ive never had an issue with a glock they havent been able to fix. Even if its been replacing the RSA that was recalled, a faulty extractor, or just replacing the whole gun. The Glocks i have owned, have generally been problem free. I had issues with a Ruger MKII in the past, their solution was to tell me to buy a MKIII. I currently own a mkIII 22-45. Glocks solutions are a bit more cost effective from past experience. Lol

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Ive never had an issue with a glock they havent been able to fix. Even if its been replacing the RSA that was recalled, a faulty extractor, or just replacing the whole gun. The Glocks i have owned, have generally been problem free. I had issues with a Ruger MKII in the past, their solution was to tell me to buy a MKIII. I currently own a mkIII 22-45. Glocks solutions are a bit more cost effective from past experience. Lol

Same experience I've had ... But I've never had a Glock even come close to needing service.

REV

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
I have both the SR9 & SR9c, I carry the SR9c everyday in case I need to protect me and my family. I shoot IDPA type matches twice a month for the past 2+ years straight. I go up against all kinds of manufacturers of pistols and to this day I have never encountered a malfunction of anykind in the heat of battle (course of fire). I do see other manufacturers that do malfunction. 9 out of 10 are Glock's. The others are 1911's. Don't get me wrong I own 1911's and love them, but to say a Ruger will not hold up like a glock would not be a true statement from what I witnessed in the field. If the SR series holds up like the "P" tanks did that would be great. But time will tell. I do have to say I bought the SR9c within the first month they came out and had to send it back for light strickes, but that has been a few thousand rounds ago and has never had an issue since. I do have another friend that bought the SR9 for the competition shooting a year and a half ago and he has treated it like trash. He said he was going to shoot it without cleaning it till it malfunctions. He did break down and finally clean it a couple of months ago, but to this day he still has not had the gun malfunction. He shoots approx 150rds a month and I would guess it went 1200 rds before he clearned it the first time. I know this is just an observation on my part but the Rugers I see are holding there own everytime I go up against any other brand out there.
Plus I shoot any cheap ammo I can find from Steel, Alum, Brass... My guns just eat them up.

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
Not particularly a Glock fan but 50 years of pistol shooting to include LEO instructor status cuts some ice. Cutting to the chase I still like 1911s and wheel guns. But in the screwy world we have today my 5 shot J frame EDC just got supplanted by a Gen 4 Model 19. My smallish hands like the SF frame, the trigger is much better than it used to be, 15 rounds on tap, and zero brass in the face so far. I am ruthless about reliability so we will see how it goes.

I used to own a fair amount of Ruger stock; when it was stagnant I sold it to buy a honking big generator for the house. I own "a few" Ruger revolvers and have some experience with Ruger semi autos. None left in the barn now.

The Glock, like anything else, is just a tool--not a slobbering love affair.

HS-LD

Bearcat
So I took my two new Rugers to the range a few days ago...

I shot the Sr9c better than the Sr9, go figure. The sights were off by about a 1/8th of an inch at 25 yds out of the box on both guns. LOL. And the brass left both guns at a 90 degree angle and shot 8-10 feet away. Didn't matter what kind of ammo it was either. Ruger knows how to do extraction/ejection. Very satisfying coming from my recent Glock wimpy piddle dribble 1/2 a foot straight up or in my face brass nonsense.

So 2 Sr-9's, about 500 rounds, and 100% satisfaction. Kinda reminds me of my Glocks back in the late 90's.

Maybe I should pick up some of that Ruger stock, I'm thinking the next 25 years is looking good... hmmm.

I want a .308 Mini 30, anyone else? :)

HS-LD said:

I shot the Sr9c better than the Sr9, go figure. The sights were off by about a 1/8th of an inch at 25 yds out of the box on both guns. LOL. And the brass left both guns at a 90 degree angle and shot 8-10 feet away. Didn't matter what kind of ammo it was either. Ruger knows how to do extraction/ejection. Very satisfying coming from my recent Glock wimpy piddle dribble 1/2 a foot straight up or in my face brass nonsense.

So 2 Sr-9's, about 500 rounds, and 100% satisfaction. Kinda reminds me of my Glocks back in the late 90's.

Maybe I should pick up some of that Ruger stock, I'm thinking the next 25 years is looking good... hmmm.

Nice experience, It's nice seeing Ruger building great products!

The only Glock I had an issue with was an early Gen. 4 19. They sent me a free RSA. Problem solved. My Glocks since then have been perfect. From what I have read, if Glock can't fix it. They replace it. That's good service!

Well since you asked. I'll take a .308 Bolt Action Scout. :-D

HS-LD

Bearcat
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
HS-LD said:

Nice experience, It's nice seeing Ruger building great products!

The only Glock I had an issue with was an early Gen. 4 19. They sent me a free RSA. Problem solved. My Glocks since then have been perfect. From what I have read, if Glock can't fix it. They replace it. That's good service!

Well since you asked. I'll take a .308 Bolt Action Scout. :-D

I guess it depends on the issue. They really were not interested at all in fixing the brass to face problems. Oh well, maybe I just got a tech who had a bad weekend, but I'm not arguing with a gun company about why I'm not satisfied. Too many companies out there willing to just make it right, regardless. And I'm loving my SR9's. I really did miss having the thumb safety. And the ambi mag release is habit forming. I find myself looking for it now on my 1911's.

The Scout is why I got to thinking about a how nice a Mini-38 would be! :)

modrifle3

Buckeye
Only flock issue was a racked extractor on my 21. A SR series will never be as good as a Glock, not considering the Ruger business model.

jimjc

Single-Sixer
I`m not a one pony parade, I have owned several hundreds of guns over many decades. Glocks changed the handgun industry but there are many guns today and plenty of good competition. I now own M&P`s and love them. I`ve owned many Rugers and still own a few. In fact I have a LC9 coming for CC. If Glock had a grip that felt like my M&P's and handled recoil like them I'd still own them. I liked the gen4 19 but there was just to many issues so it`s gone. I still like Glocks and may get another in the future. Sorry but I didn't like recoil management on the SR9 [I have serious issues with my right wrist ] in fact I tried to learn to shoot left handed but that didn't work. I like poly guns, for me they shoot better than all steel and yes I had some of the best through the years.