Thinking of trading my SR9c for SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I've had my SR9c for about two years now and really like it, so much so that I sold my P95 and don't miss it. When I got the SR9c I thought it would be my main gun for both CCW and home defense. I've decided the SR9c is larger than I prefer for a carry gun. For that purpose my Kahr CW9 works alot better. I figure the standard SR9 would do better for home defense and range shooting due to the longer grip and barrel. I'm considering either trading my SR9c in on a new SR9 or finding someone who would like to make an even swap. What do you think? Does the SR9c still have a better trigger pull than the current SR9?

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
The current SR9 has the same guts as the SR9C. So look for the "D" shaped mag release and you should be good.

Petie

Bearcat
With the 17 round magazine you have the same grip as the SR9 now. The only difference would be the ~1" longer barrel that I see. Only you know the accuracy of your current gun as to wether you will really gain from the longer barrel. I only know what I read on this and there are many posts claiming similar accuracy from both. Of course I sure understand wanting a new pistol!! ;)

FergusonTO35

Hunter
For me it's more the fact that I don't carry the SR9c so the additional barrel length would be welcome. I'm not a fan of full size mags in compact guns, they just don't feel right even with the adapter.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
As I own both an SR9c (bought it yesterday) and an SR9 (3 years ago I bought it), I can say the trigger is lighter on the SR9c-not that the SR9 is heavy by any means. I've only put 100 rounds through my C, but have (4-5K reloads and factory) thousands through the SR9-OD green with the D-mag release and the paddle trigger. The only 9mm semi-auto I've ever owned that can rival the SR9 in reliability and accuracy is the S&W 639. So far the SR9c is on target and 2 boxes of 50 went down range without issues. Though the C needs a slight sight adjustment right, it seems to group as well as the SR9 @21, 30 and 50 feet. The SR45 I bought in January was a dud out of the box, the SR9 has been nothing short of incredible. One thing I don't like about the C is the goofy rattling magazine grip extension. But the fact that it fits in my SR9 holster is a plus.

Newbs

Bearcat
I've had both for quite a while now and have to say, not a lot of difference. I actually have 2 SR9's, 1c, and probably have 2k rounds through all. Operation and feel the same (with the 17 rd mag in c). You will print better on target with the full size. If you don't plan on cc the full size would be the choice. Obviously the c is better for carry and versatility. I also own a K9, love it, but prefer the c to carry. For me, feels the same, more capacity, and I shoot it better. I am all about accuracy, so I will always carry the gun that I shoot the best, so if you are ready to go to 2 separate guns for cc and home defense, the full size IMO would be better for the house. If not the c will cover both very well, keep it. Bottom line is what YOU shoot the best.

SR Fan

Bearcat
My first in the SR series was my SR9 that i bought about 2 1/2 or so years ago and that has been the benchmark for all my SR series and still is i have had problems with all(except the SR9c) of my other ones.I just got two back this week from Ruger.The SR45 and SR40c and hope to get them to the range and My SR40 which has been great until last range trip. i just removed the MAG DC and added a galloway HD striker spring and hopefully no light primer strikes from now on.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Thanks. I put the Galloway striker spring in mine because every so often I would get a tray of primers that were harder than others. I like the firmer trigger pull it provides.

Idaho Spud

Bearcat
I have the SR9c and would keep it. Not enough barrel length increase to make any practical difference and firepower's the same (with 17 rounders). Now a 4.5 or 5 inch bbl might change my mind.....but that's not in the mix.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
can't own enough pistols! that is like too much sex, just isn't possible. I bought the full size first, then the SR40, then the SR45, now the 9c. shoot them all and carry one or more all the time. God bless America!

TxLobo

Bearcat
I was the opposite, I had the Kahr CW9, and dropped it for the SR9C. I liked the Kahr, but didn't like the single stack and limited rounds.

My wife carries a Sig P938, and I wanted something in the same caliber that I felt comfortable with, the SR9C fits that bill, so far.

TXRuger

Bearcat
I have the SR9 & the SR9c. Even with the 17rd mag, to me the SR9c never feels the same as the SR9 and the SR9 feels better in my hand. I carry the SR9c and the SR9 is my night stand gun.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
My Kel-Tec PF-9 and Kahr CW9 are my 9mm carry guns, I can shoot both of them quite well. Before I got those two I carried the SR9c for a few months. Although the SR9c is not a large gun it sure carries like one, at least to me. I don't think about the spare 7 round single stack reload mag in my pocket but the 10 round double stack mag feels like a brick. At any rate, I've decided to keep the SR9c for awhile and get some stuff paid off, unless I get an awesome trade on a new SR9.