LC9 Ammo Feeding Issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tjhodges310

Bearcat
Hi all, I am new to the forums. I purchased an LC9 as my primary CCW back in January of this year. I really like the pistol a lot - however - I am experiencing an issue I was hoping some of you all can give me some feedback on. I have run close the 1000 rounds of various types of FMJ ammo through the gun with no issues. I recently decided to purchase some Speer Gold Dot 124+p to evaluate as a potential primary carry load. However, when I load 7 rounds in the mag and rack the slide to load one in the chamber, it gets hung up on the feed ramp 9x out of 10. I have been carrying Federal HST 147gr. and have not experienced this issue at all. Has anyone experienced this with Gold Dot on their LC9? Thanks!

PS - I have read on other forums where folks suggested polishing the feed ramp, upgrading the guide rod to stainless steel, etc. Any feedback is appreciated.

Kevets

Bearcat
My wife's LC9 can't stand anything made by Herter's/S&B. Shoots anything else like a dream.

If you've run thousands through it with no issues, it might be wise to change ammo and not modify anything.

tjhodges310

Bearcat
Kevets said:
My wife's LC9 can't stand anything made by Herter's/S&B. Shoots anything else like a dream.

If you've run thousands through it with no issues, it might be wise to change ammo and not modify anything.

I agree, I am just surprised that a quality round like GDHP won't feed in my LC9. I have read other places where it has worked fine on the LC9, so thought there might be an issue with mine.

Gearhead Jim

Bearcat
My recent manufacture LC9 also feeds FMJ perfectly, but gives frequent misfeeds with Winchester 115 gr JHP. That's with several different magazines, both USA and Italy made. Can't find any other 115 JHP to test with right now.

Very annoying, I've been carrying a S&W airweight as my OD/BU gun for 30+ years, every few years I get the hots for a small auto and start thinking that someone has actually made one that works. Shame on me for making the same mistake over and over again.

bada61265

Single-Sixer
the feed ramp on mine was kind of rough compared to the highly polished ramps on some other auto`s ive owned, some came that way others I polished myself. I polished mine before I ever shot it. all autos should imo come that way from the factory. closing in on 500 rounds with mine and several brands of ammo including hollow points ive not had any problems. ive not tried the Speer but suspect its just too much drag on the feed ramp. a metal guide rod probably wont help though would add some bling and weight out front. recoil reducing springs might add more force to lockup but if your ramp is not polished your gun wont be as reliable as it could be, imo.

phototex

Bearcat
I've only put about 600 rounds through my LC9, but that's enough to learn that it really doesn't like Winchester 115 gr FMJs at all. Everything else goes through without a hitch, and the pistol is definitely in love with CCI Blazer ammo. Go figure. I'm sticking with Cor-Bon for my "business" loads.