SR9c broken striker

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PiratePast40

Single-Sixer
Ruger was very good about sending out a shipping label immediately, so not ragging on customer service. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this. There is a piece of metal broken off of the rear of the striker barrel. The trigger won't automatically reset. Even with a pulling the trigger forward and then racking the slide, pistol will not cock the striker.

I've got around 3500 rounds through the gun, so it's well broken in. The magazine disconnect was removed early in it's life so dry firing with one in place shouldn't be an issue.

No pictures since the gun is on the way to Prescott. Again, want to stress that I'm not complaining about Ruger quality or customer service. More interested in hearing what people with extensive experience in firearms operation and gunsmithing have to say.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I can't say I've ever heard of that problem reported in any forums that I've seen. The only striker related problem I've had is with the plastic striker cup wearing unevenly. Due to the plastic being slightly warped out of shape, never anything with the metal.

Is it that ringed lip there just past the tip of the firing pin? About in the middle of the striker assembly?

PiratePast40

Single-Sixer
Rei40c said:
.....Is it that ringed lip there just past the tip of the firing pin? About in the middle of the striker assembly?
No, it's the ring at the back end of the metal part of the striker assembly. There was a chunk broken out of that ring.
I don't recall reading about this particular failure on any of the forums.

PiratePast40

Single-Sixer
Ruger already has the gun back to me already. I looked closer and realized that the broken part on the striker was the fin. It had broken off. Ruger replaced the extractor, guide rod assembly, magazine disconnect, striker assembly, striker blocker, trigger bar lift spring, and trigger bar reset. They then fired 40 rounds of Black Hills 115gr ammo without malfunction.

Haven't had it back to the range yet but the trigger feels really smooth. Not that it wasn't before, just appreciating it more. I just bought a M&P Pro and put the Apex competition kit in it. The trigger on the SR9c is just as smooth, although a heavier and longer trigger pull, but that's to be expected. Can really appreciate the trigger reset feel on the SR9c after shooting the M&P Pro.

Kudos to Ruger support!

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
PiratePast40 said:
Ruger already has the gun back to me already. I looked closer and realized that the broken part on the striker was the fin. It had broken off. Ruger replaced the extractor, guide rod assembly, magazine disconnect, striker assembly, striker blocker, trigger bar lift spring, and trigger bar reset. They then fired 40 rounds of Black Hills 115gr ammo without malfunction.

Haven't had it back to the range yet but the trigger feels really smooth. Not that it wasn't before, just appreciating it more. I just bought a M&P Pro and put the Apex competition kit in it. The trigger on the SR9c is just as smooth, although a heavier and longer trigger pull, but that's to be expected. Can really appreciate the trigger reset feel on the SR9c after shooting the M&P Pro.

Kudos to Ruger support!
Weird, I just returned a S&W SD9VE with the tab broken off the under side of the striker. That was a first for me. Had it for about 2 weeks ($300) and 50-100 rounds when I noticed the tab was fractured nearly off-but it did still work. SD9VE, I guess you get what you pay for-a Sigma dressed up. S&W is backed up with repairs. I'll sell it upon return.

Latest posts