Have the kinks been worked out of the LCP yet?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
The wife and I both have a LC9 now and I was thinking to match them up with one LCP if in fact the kinks been worked out. I'm also wondering if the LCP has a firing pin blocker, for safety sake? I know it don't have a manual frame safety. Just wondering how safe it would be if dropped or something. Also is recoil somewhat less in the LCP then the LC9? Your thoughts with both guns? Wife has arthritis in her wrists and sure don't want something with more recoil than the LC9.. But they sure look like they would make the perfect pair for different CCW choices from time to time.. I see that they changed the sights on the 2013 late production ones it looks like the sights are raised more than the older ones it this right? What do you say? Good idea or bad? Thanks! George

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I'm not sure what you mean by kinks because the LCP has been a reliable gun since it was introduced. It was recalled but that was a long time ago and it is one of the most popular CCW guns out there. Yes, it is drop safe.

In terms of recoil, if she doesn't like the LC9 the LCP is going to be horrible for recoil. Remember, though the LCP may fire a smaller caliber, the gun itself is so much smaller that felt recoil is hell out of the micro guns. Manageable? Yes. Fun or pleasant to shoot? Not at all. If you want a gun like the LC9 that has less recoil than it, the LC380 is your next gun to get.

The new LCPs have shortened trigger pulls and better sights and from what I have read is a definite improvement over the originals.

Skidboot

Single-Sixer
Like Rammer said, I don't think it ever did have any kinks. I've owned three, and currently still own two. The trigger on the newer models is great; way better than on the earlier models or the LC9.

I feel very safe carrying it with one in the chamber as does my wife. Can't say what safety features it has with respect to being dropped, but I do know it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to accidently pull the trigger.

Although I 've had my LCP's and LC9 apart many times, I am unfamiliar with the locking barrel arrangement you mentioned. Maybe someone else can answer.

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
I'm old and have to practice often, getting my LCP out of my right front pants pocket. If it were unsafe to drop hammer down with one in the chamber my old ass would be dead. Like what was said in the above post, it is the perfect CCW to get a job done, it is not a weekly shooter. It is tough to go through a box of 50 rds at the range.

George

Blackhawk
JPGLSG
Thank you! I'm no youngster I'm 56 and the wife is a little older than I .. Yep it sure would not be a range gun just used enough to break it it and a mag or two after that every time we're down the range shooting a .22. or other caliber gun just to keep proficient with that gun, same as we do with the LC9. Oh the bad is my wife is insisting on a purple framed one.. Not sure I would carry that!! LOL!! George

SkidBoot, What I mean by a locking barrel it that the barrel locks up during high pressure the blows back the barrel and slide for a short distance when the barrel unlocks from the slide and extract the spent case and then comes forward to strip a fresh round from the mag into the chamber.. Like a .45 1911 .. Unlike blow back guns like say a .22 where the barrel is fixed to the frame.. Thank you for helping me out too!! George

George

Blackhawk
rammerjammer,
My concerns with the LCP and kinks are ones that I have found on boards and you tube a few time with a few people.. Broken takedown pins, extractors getting lunched out of the gun and FTF issues from weak wresting the gun.. My wife may have this issue.. Not sure it could not be fixed by tuning the recoil springs if need be to get the gun to cycle. Thank you! George

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
George...what kind of wife would want a purple gun.....holy smokes....You should see what Ms. Linda has had a gun smith do to her CCW, S&W 640, told her to keep that thing away from me!!!! and shoot the thing in the back woods. What ever you do don't take this thing to the range.

George

Blackhawk
JPGLSG,
LOL!! I hear ya! You should see the wife's LC9 it's a TALO upper slide nickel plated with deep fancy engraving on it now with a purple frame.. Up side to that is the Original TALO gun that came with the fancy nickel slide had a black frame. We then ordered a purple framed LC9 with a black upper slide that I swapped out so she has her purple and nickel engraved bla ble bla gun but I have a all black LC9 for myself!! I think I have the fancier gun out of the deal.. I don't know how I'm going to take her to the range to teach her how to use a pistol as she's a revolver girl.. I have to make sure we are the only ones there. Sure hope nobody else shows up during our range session. Good grief George

Kermit814

Bearcat
Pics George. I'd like to show Ms. Kermit.
She didn't "insist" on getting a colorful gun, but I did it for her anyway. If it keeps her interested and I don't have to open carry it in pubic, it's fine by me.

George

Blackhawk
Kermit814, Think I got it.. Your pictures ! George

http://imageshack.us/a/img17/4120/eenl.jpg As it started out org. TALO
http://imageshack.us/a/img833/852/k1vb.jpg Detail slide
http://imageshack.us/a/img11/6654/wx3c.jpg As it is now purple people eater!
http://imageshack.us/a/img571/4043/kl5n.jpg another
http://imageshack.us/a/img703/4439/oz2v.jpg another
http://imageshack.us/a/img585/7397/uzz3.jpg Detail slide closeup with purple frame Bad picture. Does not show how good it looks and deeply engraved it really is.. Not laser engraved like so many other guns.. TALo did a great job!
http://imageshack.us/a/img209/6562/sy3y.jpg Better picture of LC9 top of slide

It's also engraved LC9 large on top of the slide with that Ruger logo on the other side of the slide and engraved in the same way but with logo

I matched the black frame came with the TALO nickel slide to the black slide that came on the purple framed LC9 so I have a totally black LC9.. Hope this helps.. George

cfolsom

Bearcat
George,

There was a recall for early models of the LCP for a dropping hazard. Here is the info from the ruger website. I cut and pasted it.

• All LCP pistols with serial number prefix "371" and higher (371-xxxxx) have been manufactured with the new hammer mechanism and are NOT affected by the recall and DO NOT need to be returned. See Figure 1 below.

• If your LCP has a serial number prefix "370" you will need to check the flat portion of the slot just behind and below the hammer for a diamond mark. As shown below in Figure 2, LCPs marked with the diamond have had the new hammer mechanism installed and DO NOT need to be returned.

• If your LCP has the "370" serial number prefix and DOES NOT HAVE the diamond mark, we recommend you have your LCP retrofitted with the upgraded hammer mechanism at no charge.

The only other issue I have had with my LCP is my fault. When chambering a round you have to allow the full slingshot action of the slide. I have a tendency of sliding it slightly forward before releasing it and it does not go fully into battery. A tap of the slide with the palm of the hand and it pops in, like I said this is owner error.

I prepped my wife for horrible recoil, told her it would hurt, told her she would not like the gun, told her it was hard to hold and shoot. All that got a, "that wasn't so bad" out of her. I also try no to let her fire more then a couple of magazines at a time as I don't want her to start feeling the bite of the recoil. So far she still like the gun. I also did not take into account her hand size versus mine. It fits her much better than it fits me.

George

Blackhawk
cfolsom,
Thank you!! Good info glad you posted it.. I'm having a hard time saying this but I think if we get a LCP the wife insists it be purple so it will be a 2013 model I believe.. As that gun is also a TALO made this year with the newer raised sights. Yes my wife has extremely small hands.. her ring size is 4 1/2 to 5 and she stands about 5'1" tall.. My .45 1911 would chamber hollow points like you describe. I polished the feed ramp and it never did it again.. Thank you for the great info!! George

cfolsom

Bearcat
Color of gun does not matter. If it makes her happy and she will carry and shoot it, buy it.

My wife also has a charter arms 38 special undercover in a blue color with lightning bolts on it. It was her first handgun. She picked it out and wanted it. I was trying to get her into a snubnose 357 from ruger or smith. I know a losing battle when I see one. I retreated and we got what she wanted.

George

Blackhawk
LOL!! Ya same thing with the Engraved Talo LC9 her fist gun she wanted and picked out and wanted over sig or anything they had.. Just had to have it.. Struggling ya I can work the slide!! I resisted a bit then thought no this is great.. Really a good looking gun.. I said go for it.. She looked at me asking should I? I said yep! Done deal!!

She had a J frame snubby S&W model 36 that her dad gave her years ago.. Shot it well too.. But that was before the arthritis set in her wrists..

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
From some of the other comments regarding the Lady's pretty guns....I think some of us have wives that think their CCW guns are just like another piece of jewelry. I am with all of you though, what ever keeps them interested, the world is not getting any safer.

kendak

Bearcat
after 4yrs. & 700rds my LCP had to go back because of barrel/slide peening ...bought a LC9 to try until it gets back & love the LC9 also ...btw. I think I'd like a purple one ..LOL