When it's time to replace the recoil spring?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I have the 40c but think it applies to all SR's or probably any semi auto for that matter. At about what round count should I be thinking of replacing the spring on the SR series. I know that many manufacturers only rate their springs somewhere between 5000-8000 ish rounds before they suggest new ones. But I've never seen recommendations for the SR.

I'm about to start pushing 4000 soon.

roylt

Hunter
I have never replaced any on my old P-guns. Still shooting any and everything I put in the mag.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
I bought the replacement also, but have not changed it out. Same Idea of insurance. When it does break, I will send it to Ruger for replacement and will have the spare to keep the gun running. Over 2,500+ and no spring issue.

Newbs

Bearcat
My gunsmith told me to watch the casings. Every gun is different, but if they start ejecting beyond about 6 feet or further than normal for that gun (if you know what normal is), it's time to change the spring. He also stated to watch for inconsistencies, i.e. 1 at 3', next one 8', next one 6'. This has worked pretty good for me as every gun and spring are different. I believe it's Kimber that recommends replacement at something ridiculous like 700 or 800 rounds and then you have Ruger Nut10 with over 2500 rounds.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Newbs said:
I believe it's Kimber that recommends replacement at something ridiculous like 700 or 800 rounds and then you have Ruger Nut10 with over 2500 rounds.

And .... Let me guess .... Mimber highly 'recommends' that you purchase the Mimber replacement springs .... And they're only $39.95 plus $9.95 shipping and handling. :D

REV

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Newbs said:
My gunsmith told me to watch the casings. Every gun is different, but if they start ejecting beyond about 6 feet or further than normal for that gun (if you know what normal is), it's time to change the spring. He also stated to watch for inconsistencies, i.e. 1 at 3', next one 8', next one 6'. This has worked pretty good for me as every gun and spring are different. I believe it's Kimber that recommends replacement at something ridiculous like 700 or 800 rounds and then you have Ruger Nut10 with over 2500 rounds.

I'll check that next time. I dunno about you guys but with my SR it will be hard to tell, its always slung brass a MILE even when it was new. But it never comes back in my face at least. Thanks for the tip I've not heard that one before. I figured the first time you'd know it is if it failed to cycle or lock back. Might actually better for someone standing away from me a bit to notice the ejection pattern better then I could.

Agree on the Kimber springs that's just crazy to replace after 800.

GKC

Blackhawk
Newbs said:
I believe it's Kimber that recommends replacement at something ridiculous like 700 or 800 rounds and then you have Ruger Nut10 with over 2500 rounds.

revhigh said:
And .... Let me guess .... Mimber highly 'recommends' that you purchase the Mimber replacement springs .... And they're only $39.95 plus $9.95 shipping and handling. :D

REV

:lol: :lol:

I'm surprised that they don't say you have to send the gun to them to change the recoil spring, and of course you pay shipping both ways, as well as the parts. :roll:

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Replaced with Wolf springs on my Kimber 4" 1911 after about 1,000 rounds. It didn't need it but I got the springs (recoil spring and firing pin spring) dirt cheap so why not.

My P90 is going strong after approximately 3500 rounds with the original recoil spring. No signs that it is wearing out yet.

My guess is the Kimber would have lasted another 1,000 rounds.

Guess I'll have to replace the Ruger's springs someday...

Jeff

Newbs

Bearcat
Might actually better for someone standing away from me a bit to notice the ejection pattern better then I could.

Providing you don't shoot in an indoor range, just shoot a mag and look where your brass is on the ground.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Newbs said:
Might actually better for someone standing away from me a bit to notice the ejection pattern better then I could.

Providing you don't shoot in an indoor range, just shoot a mag and look where your brass is on the ground.

I'm in a city and don't really know anyone with private property in the surrounding counties, which means I'm currently stuck to the indoor range. I hate that, ideally i'd love to have an outdoor place to shoot. As it stands now though my brass bounces off the lane dividers.

Maybe one day I can get me some land. I'd really enjoy making a outdoor range of my own.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
Unload the gun and drop the mag, point the muzzle up, pull the slide back and slowly let it return to battery if it stops before lockup replace the spring.

bada61265

Single-Sixer
learn something new every day, been shooting auto`s for 30 years and never ever considered changing a spring that wasn't broke first.

John Carp

Bearcat
Just replaced the recoil spring in my Ruger KP89DAO.
Had and unknown round count as I bought the pistol used.
It was a C.A.I re-import and as strange as it may sound, is superbly accurate!

TRanger

Blackhawk
bada61265 said:
learn something new every day, been shooting auto`s for 30 years and never ever considered changing a spring that wasn't broke first.

+1. I am always curious about this concern over recoil springs. I have yet to find a quality pistol that needs a spring change after a few thousand rounds. Perhaps the key word there is "quality." I know two older gentlemen who own early production Colt automatics they have been shooting for decades. It has apparently never occurred to either of them to change the recoil spring; yet the guns run right along with never an issue. The one time I mentioned changing the spring to one of them, his simple reply was, "Why? The gun works fine." The pistol in question is a World War I-era 1911.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
TRanger said:
bada61265 said:

+1. I am always curious about this concern over recoil springs. I have yet to find a quality pistol that needs a spring change after a few thousand rounds. Perhaps the key word there is "quality." I know two older gentlemen who own early production Colt automatics they have been shooting for decades. It has apparently never occurred to either of them to change the recoil spring; yet the guns run right along with never an issue. The one time I mentioned changing the spring to one of them, his simple reply was, "Why? The gun works fine." The pistol in question is a World War I-era 1911.

Well for me it started when I began reading manufacturer suggestions to change them after x many rounds a few years back. Before I'd never noticed these. So I began wondering,-

Is there something about the way they are making them now (cheaper) that makes them less durable?

Is it just a ~cover your butt~ legal thing just in case one does wear out and cause a problem of some sort?

Is it just to make more money selling aftermarket parts?

Is my gun expected to fail after the number of rounds they quote for the spring?

TRanger

Blackhawk
You can be pretty sure the reasons are financial. Spring manufacturers have to sell their products to someone, so they convince you your spring should be changed out. I intend to change mine as soon as they stop working. A good gun made of good materials is hard to wear out.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I have to think much of it is also changing habits on the part of shooters. Nowadays it's nothing for someone to go squirt 300 rounds through their wondernine doing defensive drills in a single range session, whereas prior to that most shooters probably did slow fire bullseyes. Also, adjusted for inflation I bet handgun ammo is cheaper and more available than it was just 30 years ago, well, prior to the Newtown Massacre at least.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
Most of us have the luxury of running a gun until it quits should we choose to do so, however think about a large agency with several hundred/thousand guns to maintain which have to work in very harsh conditions (Military, Law Enforcment, etc, etc)) I can't see them switching to a run them till they break policy anytime soon. :)

Springs do wear out from compression/decompression cycles. Back "in the day", I suspect, manufactures didn't care if the guns wore out from the frame being battered (although some designs/materials hold up better than others). There was no internet for people complain en masse , so reputations were much safer.

That said, I replace springs when my auto's start acting funky, not before. :)