Silly Sig question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
I recently got my first Sig, a P220 and marked "Made in West Germany".

Is it safe to assume that after the unification of the country, Sig quit putting that on the weapons making this a 1980's or earlier gun?

E

Single-Sixer
Sigforum.com has a serial number/date of manufacture guide as its first topic in the Sig Pistols section. There may be some other details about slide markings in there as well.

I picked up my first Sig, a P220 as well, earlier this year. Great pistol. I wish Ruger P-series pistols had used the same frame-mounted decocking system.

Montelores

Buckeye
Interesting question - it caused me to perform a bit of research.

The integration of "East" and "West" did not occur immediately in 1990 - the economic and financial aspects required years and cost W. Germany dearly, but it did boost W. Germany's economy in the near-term.

E. Germany's economy was mostly state-owned, and the W. Germans privatized it after the reunification.

Even before economic unification, the West German government had decided that one of its first tasks was to privatize the East German economy. For this reason, it had taken over in June the Treuhandanstalt (Trust Agency, commonly known as Treuhand), which had been established by the GDR to take over East German firms and to turn them over to new management through privatization. The agency assumed the assets and liabilities of about 8,000 East German enterprises in order to sell them to German and other bidders. By the time the Treuhand was disbanded at the end of 1994, it had privatized some 14,000 enterprises.

As economic unification proceeded, issues that had been recognized but inadequately understood in advance began to surface. There was massive confusion about property rights. As wave after wave of Nazi, Soviet, and later GDR expropriations had taken place between 1933 and 1989, there was often little knowledge of the actual ownership of property. More than 2 million claims on properties in the territory of the former GDR were filed by the December 31, 1992, deadline. As more claimants emerged, with many winning cases in the courts, potential investors were often scared off.

Another problem was that East German production costs had been very high. The conversion rates of East German marks to deutsche marks often kept those costs high, as did the early wage negotiations, which resulted in wages far above the productivity level. Western German firms found it easier and cheaper to serve their new eastern German markets by expanding production in western facilities.

A third problem was that the inadequate infrastructure also became a problem for many potential investors. Telephone service was improved only very slowly. Many investors also complained about energy shortages, as many East German power stations were shut down for safety and other reasons. Roads and railroads had to be virtually rebuilt because they had been so badly maintained...

The dramatic improvement in the western German figures resulted from the opening in eastern Germany of a large new market of 16 million persons and the simultaneous availability of many new workers from eastern Germany. Many easterners did not want the shoddy goods produced at home, preferring western consumer products and food. Moreover, many easterners were coming to the west to work. By the end of 1990, as many as 250,000 were commuting to work in the west, and that number was estimated to have grown to 350,000 or even 400,000 by the middle of 1991.

http://www.germanculture.com.ua/library/facts/bl_reunification_aftermath.htm

As the bolded sentence suggests, possibly Sig did not want the "stigma" of an E. German-manufactered product. Perhaps they delayed omitting the "West Germany" until the reunification was more complete.

The Germans mights have differentiated for years after the reunification between E. and W. German products, because the cross-over wasn't so apparent.

I wonder what Sig has to say about this.

Monty

Don't feel bad about owning a Sig. It's OK.

I too, have limited experience with Sig however, im not really new to Sig... I have, in the past, owned a few, limited to the Sig P230 (.380), the P239 .(.357sig), and most recently, the Sig P229 (.357 Sig and .40 S&W) dual barrels.

I currently have a Sig P938 Equinox and Sig C3 Plus. They are amazing guns. Better than the older ones I owned by far. I'm about to take receipt of a NEW Sig P226 enhanced elite.

Not too familiar with the Sig P220, but I'm still considering one...

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I have a brand new P220 in .45 ACP and .22LR, both slide kits.

It is 100% reliable, functions perfectly and is terribly accurate. Not really one for being down on Exeter, but I think the whole industry is likely down in quality, or we just hear about more quality issues as a whole now that internet communication is widespread.