SR-45 Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ammo First

Bearcat
Hello, how long has the SR-45 been out? Any bugs or reasons to wait a while before getting one? Also, I have a stash of 45 super waiting on deck, would this Pistol be a good candidate for that Round? I read somewhere (firing line maybe) that the SR-9 had one of the strongest barrels / actions in the business. How about the SR-45? Thanks. P. S. Do these have a captured recoil Spring? If so, anyone making an aftermarket guide rod?

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
aftermarket guide rods (captured) from Galloway precision. good product, good company. zero issues with my SR45, very reliable and very accurate with a diet of my handloads.

Ammo First

Bearcat
Thanks, how about shooting 45 super from this gun? Anybody got an opinion on that? Or maybe a pic of the chamber? Thanks again

xracer98

Bearcat
Ammo First said:
Thanks, how about shooting 45 super from this gun? Anybody got an opinion on that? Or maybe a pic of the chamber? Thanks again

I havent shot any "super" ammo, but I have shot "hot" loads out of my SR 45 without any problems...

MGFed

Bearcat
I got my SR45 in July. I returned it to Prescott today for service. I have been having consistent problems with ejecting spent rounds. At least once every mag, one will hang up and only be half pulled back for ejection. This locks the slide open and prevents the next cartridge from being chambered...not good. I hope they can fix it as the gun is very accurate and easy to handle. I guess I will see in a couple weeks. Anyone else have this issue?

SR Fan

Bearcat
I just sent my SR45 and my SR40c back to Ruger yesterday the SR45 because of light primer strikes 3 in the last 4 mags and the mag release feels funny .The SR40c jams won't fully chamber a round and one of the pins on the right side works it way out while firing and its don't it just about every range trip.

MGFed

Bearcat
Just wondering, I have never returned a gun because it "didn't work". Anyone have experience with that? If my gun proves to be a lemon, would I work out a solution with Ruger or with my local gun shop. I really hope that it doesn't come to that. Reading these kinds of problems that others are also having, it makes me suspicious of the glowing gun-tests I read before buying my gun...

I want a reliable gun if I find myself in a dangerous situation; simple.

"Act in haste, live to repent"

DonD

Single-Sixer
MGFed said:
Just wondering, I have never returned a gun because it "didn't work". Anyone have experience with that? If my gun proves to be a lemon, would I work out a solution with Ruger or with my local gun shop. I really hope that it doesn't come to that. Reading these kinds of problems that others are also having, it makes me suspicious of the glowing gun-tests I read before buying my gun...

I want a reliable gun if I find myself in a dangerous situation; simple.

I'll bet Ruger will return a free of issues gun to you.

I have owned some 45 guns over my many years of shooting and I've only had one gun that I considered a lemon. It was a Remington 597 semi auto .22LR. It wouldn't work even after a trip back to the factory. I bought another one about a year ago and it has been a very reliable and enjoyable gun. Don

MGFed

Bearcat
Don; Thanks for your come-back and insight. Mike

daverz56

Bearcat
I had just sent my SR45 back for repairs.Light primer strikes,broken mag release.They replaced the striker assembly,mag release button and spring then replaced the mag disconnect and fired 30 rounds to test it for function.I sent it in on a Monday and had it back that Friday,I was floored to say the least as well as pleased.Have'nt had it to the range yet but if I stick a pencil in the barrel and pull the trigger it will damn near hit the ceiling so I know the striker is working well. :D

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Sold my SR45 after its second trip to Prescott. Even after its 2nd trip to Ruger the magazines wouldn't seat properly with 10 rounds in it. I had high hopes for the 45 because my SR9 has been great for 4 years and I just bought an SR9c. Maybe I bought a lemon, but a familiar theme with the early models is failure to go into battery and broken magazine catches. A friend bought an SR45 in June (bought mine in January) and he immediately had difficulty getting the magazines to seat and failure to go into battery. Maybe they've ironed out the glitches-I mean the SR9 had major trigger and mag release issues at first until the D-shaped mag release and paddle trigger were utilized and the early LCPs had the drop/bang recall. As far as shooting goes, the SR45 is a great gun. The only 45acp I've ever been able to double tap with keen accuracy. No question the SR45 will improve. Ruger is great at evolution of an active model. I also shoot with a guy at the range who loves his SR45 and has no problems with it. Anyway, the SR9, SR9c and LCP are 3 of the best all-around semi-autos I've ever owned-and I've owned many. No reason to suspect the SR45 will not improve. Man, the SR45 is a great platform-still cutting teeth.

Buckhorn150

Bearcat
Just bought mine today and one mag would not lock in, so Sunday when I pick it up it will only have one mag. The mags looked different from one to another in texture and form?

HS-LD

Bearcat
Conn AK said:
Sold my SR45 after its second trip to Prescott. Even after its 2nd trip to Ruger the magazines wouldn't seat properly with 10 rounds in it. I had high hopes for the 45 because my SR9 has been great for 4 years and I just bought an SR9c. Maybe I bought a lemon, but a familiar theme with the early models is failure to go into battery and broken magazine catches. A friend bought an SR45 in June (bought mine in January) and he immediately had difficulty getting the magazines to seat and failure to go into battery. Maybe they've ironed out the glitches-I mean the SR9 had major trigger and mag release issues at first until the D-shaped mag release and paddle trigger were utilized and the early LCPs had the drop/bang recall. As far as shooting goes, the SR45 is a great gun. The only 45acp I've ever been able to double tap with keen accuracy. No question the SR45 will improve. Ruger is great at evolution of an active model. I also shoot with a guy at the range who loves his SR45 and has no problems with it. Anyway, the SR9, SR9c and LCP are 3 of the best all-around semi-autos I've ever owned-and I've owned many. No reason to suspect the SR45 will not improve. Man, the SR45 is a great platform-still cutting teeth.

Should have sent it back again and asked for a replacement. They will replace it and the one they replace it with they make dang sure is 100%. Ruger is good about "third time back for the same problem you get a new one."

Also to the OP, remember for everyone who posts here with a problem there's thousands of guns out there running 100%. It a mechanical device, there are a few lemons, make sure the company behind what you buy is 100%. Take Glock for instance: third time back and they sent me a note saying basically "brass hitting you in the face is Glock Perfection, go away." So I made my Glocks go away and bought Rugers. Just my experience.

Ammo First

Bearcat
Holy Thread resurrection Batman! Hello again Ruger faithful. Would anyone care to chime in on the evolution of the sr-45? Based on the feedback I received 16 months ago, I decided to hold off. Has Ruger made any upgrades/improvements to this pistol? Also curious about chamber support? Thanks P.S. I did purchase a new P 95 since my last post. It's a great pistol, zero issues at the 650 round mark.