How many have tried FrogLube ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
I think I just read a writeup of the stuff by John Connor in the latest GUNS magazine. IIRC he seemed to like it....

6gun

Hunter
Never tried it cause I haven't seen it locally, not going to order it on line, looks to pricey as well.

DonD

Single-Sixer
Tried to post, something happened to it. I don't have the engineering resources to determine just how good the stuff is. Subjectively it seems fine but I really dislike the wintergreen scent it has so I am not using it anymore. Feels like it is rotting my sinuses out. Don

DenverGT

Bearcat
I switched over to it. Really like it so far.

The first time I used it, I used a solvent to completely remove any of the old oil, then heated up the parts and applied the paste. After letting the parts cool down, I wiped off any excess and reassembled. Save the cloth you use to wipe off the excess, and use it to wipe down the gun after you finish, to leave a nice protecting coat.

I've only had a couple range visits since switching to it, but cleanup after the range has been much quicker. Any fouling wipes right off. I run a patch with a little of the froglube liquid down the bore a couple times, then a few dry ones and they come out clean pretty quick. Then I take a cloth with a couple drops of the liquid and wipe down the rest of the parts.

My SR9C seems to run smoother with froglube. Trigger feels smoother as well, but that could just be psychological. I gave my .22 plinkster the froglube treatment, and it eliminated the FTE issues I was having. Cycles much smoother, and as with the SR9c, it cleans up very easy after shooting.

As for the cost, you actually use very little of it, so it will last a really long time. I've done 4 guns with it now, as well as a few folding knives and my bicycle chain and derailers. I've still got about 3/4 of the 4oz jar of paste, and the liquid is just about full.

Suburbbus

Bearcat
I had a friend froglube my SR40c and it turned out really nice. Clean up was a breeze. Sold the SR40c and bought a SR9c and have not had a chance to get the 9 done yet. Will get it done as soon as I get a chance though.

skip

Single-Sixer
I have been using it...just came back from a very wet caribou hunt and my blue/wood rifle shows no signs of rust or corrosion.......I have been happy with it so far.

DonD

Single-Sixer
Suburbbus said:
I had a friend froglube my SR40c and it turned out really nice. Clean up was a breeze. Sold the SR40c and bought a SR9c and have not had a chance to get the 9 done yet. Will get it done as soon as I get a chance though.

Hopefully you won't resent this question but I'm curious why you sold the SR40C and bought a 9C? I think they're both excellent guns. Don

cas6969

Buckeye
I bought some to try…. been using it on ONE gun. So far no complaints, though also don't know that it's any better or worse than anything else at this point.

tdyoung58

Bearcat
I have been using it for a year or so, does a good job . . . but when push comes to shove it's still just CLP in a different carrier base. It does initially cost more, but one bottle of each (I use the paste and the liquid) has lasted me over a year. The smell doesn't bother me much, like it better than the "solvent" smell of most others. I still use Rem 40x bore cleaner for barrels.

Alpo

Bearcat
I tried it out on my P95 about 6 months ago. After a couple of range trips/post clean up, I gave all my Hoppes stuff to my hunting buddy and only use the frog lube now. (Except for my deer gun. Don't want the bucks smelling that minty fresh 12 gauge).

Everything cleans up much easier and the guns run great on it. The only thing I found though, is that it's not great for copper fouling, so I keep some copper solvent on hand if I'm shooting a lot of fmj.

George

Blackhawk
I have almost 40 years into guns and always use Hoppe's gun oil and bore cleaner, I like the small too! Also use some Remington Rem oil with teflon and never a issue.. I have some Seal 1 same minty smell also have some froglube.. I'm a old dog and i just can't bring myself to completely change over. Why look for something that IMO can't work any better than what I have been using with out issues for all this time as far as rust goes... For me anyway! That said I do use the F/L and S/#1 for the lockworks and slide rails it does seem to have a better slickness to it that stays working for longer so I use both oil and the new stuff for now.. George

revhigh

Hawkeye
6gun said:
Never tried it cause I haven't seen it locally, not going to order it on line, looks to pricey as well.

Mobil1 5 or 10-30 has never failed me at about $5 a quart and a lifetime worth of lubrication. Anything more expensive is just hype.

REV

wingnuut

Bearcat
I froglubed 4 of my guns 3 I put in the safe one I used Remington r1 some got in the fireing pin channel and gummed it up , my sr9 same thing, if you leave them set for a couple weeks they gum up. no more, cleaned them up went back to remlube and hoppes #9

George

Blackhawk
I got cheap once and use some 3&one oil I had around after running out of my hoppys gun oil and rem lube. After the guns sat for 6 months to a year I could not even spin the open cylinders on my revolvers they just gummed right up.. I know in a pinch you can use any lube to get a gun running but when storing a gun use good lube.. I don't know if froglube or the Seal#1 I have would let me down after 35 or 40 years but I do know Good gun oil and Rem-Lube will not as my guns are in pristine condition. I only use the Seal one or Froglube on high friction spots on some guns Like on the M&P .22 I use one drop on the top of the hammer and bottom of the slide where they meet.. I have that gun in storage now for about one full year or more.. when I pull it out I'll see how the slide feel when I pull it back. I know in that gun the Seal #1 made a wonderful improvement with reduced friction I could feel, day and night.. But it was all comming from that one spot i used it on.. I suspect with more break in there would be no issues. I have about 1200 rounds through it.. In my world other lubes do have it's place from time to time and I have no reason to push my luck with a try and see for years as what I use works! George

DonD

Single-Sixer
I have some of it, seems OK. Like one poster said, I have no means of realistically determining who good it is.

What I do know is I despise the wintergreen scent. Prefer any gun care products scent over this stuff. Don

revhigh

Hawkeye
DonD said:
I have some of it, seems OK. Like one poster said, I have no means of realistically determining who good it is.

What I do know is I despise the wintergreen scent. Prefer any gun care products scent over this stuff. Don

That's why Mobil1 5-30 works perfectly at about 1/25th of the price. It's just oil, no matter how complicated some want to try to make it.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/09/letter-re-synthetic-motor-oil-as-a-gun-lubricant-in-teotwawki.html

REV

ArmasDeFuego

Bearcat
The hatchback on my car was squeaking... Frog Lube worked better than all the auto and gun oils I had on hand. ;)