LC380 Magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

norm

Bearcat
Recently purchased a LC380 with 3 magazines. The first few tryouts, about 300 rounds, had many FTF and FTE. Sent it back to Ruger with a fast turn around. Ruger touched-up the feed ramp and lockup surface on the barrel. Fired 100 rounds without problems.

Went to the range today and had many FTF including stove pipes during feeding. The magazines jam up during loading after the 3rd round. Other times they loads without a problem. I think the problems are in the magazines, not in the gun. Sometimes the short lips do not hold the case properly. Seems a real .380 mag with a spacer at the back on the outside might be better.

groberts

Single-Sixer
The problem I found was the rounds themselves were too long. I didn't have any problems with FMJs but did with some JHPs. Switched to Remington Golden Sabers and haven't had a problem. I don't remember now which ones I had problems with but they were discussed here in another thread so you might want to do a search. Also, the other Ruger Forum (no names please) had several discussions on this problem.

TheBob_1

Bearcat
I love the look and feel of my new LC380, and it carries easily in summer attire. AND my wife and young son find it reasonably easy to fire compared to larger calibers in small frames. But I have one little problem: I never know if it will actually go 'bang' when I need it to!!!

I plan to return my LC380 to Ruger for service, but am not overly hopeful after reading norm's post on 8-14, along with other postings in various places on the 'net - the consensus seeming to be that the 380 magazines, not the firearm itself, are the problem.

Regardless, all I can say is how disturbed I am by this problem, considering I've been carrying this firearm on my body (whenever I do carry) the past couple of months, assuming it could save my life or that of my family, should we ever be faced with a threat that could only be "resolved" with a firearm. Knowing I cannot rely on this chunk of steel and polymer I've been hauling around* is more than disappointing - it is completely unsettling!

* I find "carrying" to be somewhat uncomfortable and often inconvenient, but I am new at this and trying to get accustomed to it.

Would love to hear if anyone has found a fix for this - or if the same problem is occurring with the LC9? Again, many say its the modified LC9 magazines (9mm mag's altered to accommodate the "9mm short" (380 auto) cartridge).

PS - One solution I am considering is to ditch this gun entirely and get a revolver. I am thinking "Six, for sure" is better than "Seven, if the gun works today".

Without starting a revolver vs. auto debate, any tips or advice on this and the LC380's feed/eject issues would be greatly appreciated.

(FYI: Gun was cleaned and lubed after two short, separate practices of maybe 40-50 rds. each. FTF/FTE's occurred with Golden Saber brass as well as Tula steel, both with original mag, tapped to seat properly, separate loadings, firm grip, etc.).

10chuckles

Bearcat
I had a problem with my Magazine where the follower fit so tightly in the magazine tube that it would hang up about half way. Very difficult to load too. I sanded the follower all around until it is freely sliding in the tube. Flawless function, 220 rounds later.

10chuckles

Bearcat
Made my full test range trip with my new LC380 on Friday. Fired just over 400 rounds, mixed 4 brands of FMJs with Golden Sabers, Gold Dots, Fed low recoil JHP and Hornady Crit. def. Everything functioned perfectly, no FTF or FTE and accuracy was great. Shot from 7 yards to 25 yards with great results. Another couple hundred rounds and I will be good with this as a CCW. I love it and it's one of the most inexpensive guns I ever bought. LGS has a good bit of 380 in several flavors so all is well in Las Vegas.

GKC

Blackhawk
TheBob_1 said:
One solution I am considering is to ditch this gun entirely and get a revolver. I am thinking "Six, for sure" is better than "Seven, if the gun works today".

In addition to reliability, the main consideration in selecting a carry gun is one that you will carry. One that you won't carry because it's too heavy, or you don't trust it, isn't the right gun for you. Even if it's reliable but you just don't like it, for whatever reason, you will soon start finding excuses not to carry it. Any gun is better than no gun, but if you are going to carry a gun, it should be one that you like, trust, and can shoot well.

Instead of "6 for sure" these days, you're more likely going to be carrying "5 for sure." :wink: The revolvers in current production that hold 6 rounds are more than likely going to be too heavy/bulky for most people to conceal/carry...or to want to, anyway. One revolver that I would recommend is the Ruger LCR, which is a DAO revolver holding 5 rounds. There are two basic models: one chambered in .38 Special and one in .357 Magnum (which can shoot .38 Special rounds as well.) Get the .357 model instead of the .38 Special model. At 17 ounces, it weighs 3 more ounces than the .38 model, which isn't really noticeable when carrying it. (I have owned both.) The .357 model gives you the option to use either round, and the additional weight of the .357 model, when loaded with .38 Special +P JHP makes a very nice combination, IMO. It also has a very nice, smooth trigger.

TheBob_1

Bearcat
GKC said:
TheBob_1 said:
One solution I am considering is to ditch this gun entirely and get a revolver. I am thinking "Six, for sure" is better than "Seven, if the gun works today".

In addition to reliability, the main consideration in selecting a carry gun is one that you will carry. One that you won't carry because it's too heavy, or you don't trust it, isn't the right gun for you. Even if it's reliable but you just don't like it, for whatever reason, you will soon start finding excuses not to carry it. Any gun is better than no gun, but if you are going to carry a gun, it should be one that you like, trust, and can shoot well.

Instead of "6 for sure" these days, you're more likely going to be carrying "5 for sure." :wink: The revolvers in current production that hold 6 rounds are more than likely going to be too heavy/bulky for most people to conceal/carry...or to want to, anyway. One revolver that I would recommend is the Ruger LCR, which is a DAO revolver holding 5 rounds. There are two basic models: one chambered in .38 Special and one in .357 Magnum (which can shoot .38 Special rounds as well.) Get the .357 model instead of the .38 Special model. At 17 ounces, it weighs 3 more ounces than the .38 model, which isn't really noticeable when carrying it. (I have owned both.) The .357 model gives you the option to use either round, and the additional weight of the .357 model, when loaded with .38 Special +P JHP makes a very nice combination, IMO. It also has a very nice, smooth trigger.

Excellent advice - thanks. BTW: Just ran another 63 rds. thru the LC380 AFTER it was returned from Ruger with a new slide (super-fast turn-around!). Sadly, I had four FTF's with 3 different kinds of ammo. I want to love this gun; It looks and feels great, carries nicely, and 7+1 beats a revolver, but we're back to the comment about reliability. I do have a GP100, but may as well carry a cinder block - yes, it is too big and heavy. I think I may have to go for the LCR - which, BTW, was my next choice for a revolver - and yes, in .357, specifically for the little more weight.

Anyone want an LC380 cheap?

TheBob_1

Bearcat
10chuckles said:
Made my full test range trip with my new LC380 on Friday. Fired just over 400 rounds, mixed 4 brands of FMJs with Golden Sabers, Gold Dots, Fed low recoil JHP and Hornady Crit. def. Everything functioned perfectly, no FTF or FTE and accuracy was great. Shot from 7 yards to 25 yards with great results. Another couple hundred rounds and I will be good with this as a CCW. I love it and it's one of the most inexpensive guns I ever bought. LGS has a good bit of 380 in several flavors so all is well in Las Vegas.

Seems Ruger has some quality control issues, given my ongoing FTF's/jams (averaging one in fifteen) and other posts indicating the same problem.

How do your mags feed and eject? Mine catch a little on the way in (but don't seem overly snug), requiring a bit of a bump with the butt of my hand, and they don't eject fully on their own without some manual assistance (a modest downward tug) after pressing the eject button. Could this be my problem???

norm

Bearcat
My mags are tight going in and out!! I have 3 mags and still have FTF with 2. 1 is frequent and 1 is occasional. I think Ruger made a mistake in modifying the LC9 mag.

norm

Bearcat
Went to the range today with the best 2 mags. Fired about 100 rounds with no FTF. However, with the slide back, load a full mag and rack the slide; I get an occasional FTF. With the slide closed, load a full mag and rack the slide; no problem. So, if I get a round in the chamber with a full mag, it always went bang. Conclusion, good gun with a questionable magazine design.