New SR9C design?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SR Fan

Bearcat
Has anyone else posted on here about a new frame design/coating.I just went to the LGS today to buy a holster for a Rossi 38spl that i bought several months ago and also to look at a used SR9c.I was getting ready to leave and asked to see the SR9c on the bottom shelf near the back and when he brought it out i was surprised and shocked to see a new SR9c and it had a carbon fiber/snakeskin look to it scales????I never seen any SR series look like this.it was just the frame not the slide and i didn't see any markings that made a special gun(talo).Has anyone else seen a SR9c that looks like the description.?I didn't take a crappy cellphone pic but may go back tomorrow and bring my camera to take a pic of it.I put on layaway.

SR Fan

Bearcat
OK i figured it out, i went searching on the Ruger site and knew that the coating wasn't a standard factory coating and started looking under the dealer exclusives and found under the LCP dealer exclusives as Waterdog Micro fiber film.they don't show it yet under the SR9C dealer exclusives page.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Okay, I wasn't sure what you where talking about before. I like it alright but I'm sorry to say I think this one may be a dud sales wise. It could have been better if they blended some features of the Talo design, mainly the deletion of the forward slide serrations and the engraved Ruger emblem.

As a side gripe I really wish they'd start polishing their barrels it does much to improve the look and function. It doesn't have to be a mirror finish but the current standard is pretty rough.

Also just curious what are they asking for this particular gun?

SR Fan

Bearcat
I wish it had no front Serrations myself and i like the brushed look on the slide.I paid 449.00 for mine and i wondered if dealer exclusives came with paperwork saying they were "exclusive".?The strange thing is that it came with two 10 round mags instead of one compact and one fullsize with adapter.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
SR Fan said:
I wish it had no front Serrations myself and i like the brushed look on the slide.I paid 449.00 for mine and i wondered if dealer exclusives came with paperwork saying they were "exclusive".?The strange thing is that it came with two 10 round mags instead of one compact and one fullsize with adapter.

Well you got it for a good price. And as far as the "cool factor" goes it beats the standard version. Strange about the mags, musta been a mix up. But as much as I'd like to, I very rarely carry the larger mag. Except maybe on the coldest days of the year. And when I do carry a back up mag its always another 9 round (sr40c) not the 15. I put the 15 rounder in at night when it transforms into my house gun. But if you already have a house gun, not much is lost really. I only have this one atm so it serves both roles.

vacextar

Blackhawk
Rei40c said:
SR Fan said:

Strange about the mags, musta been a mix up. But as much as I'd like to, I very rarely carry the larger mag. Except maybe on the coldest days of the year. And when I do carry a back up mag its always another 9 round (sr40c) not the 15. I put the 15 rounder in at night when it transforms into my house gun. But if you already have a house gun, not much is lost really. I only have this one atm so it serves both roles.

My guess is that it was probably a "California-legal" kit......no hi-cap mag.

revhigh

Hawkeye
SR Fan said:
The strange thing is that it came with two 10 round mags instead of one compact and one fullsize with adapter.

Not strange at all ...the only place they will sell any is in California ... the land of fruits and nuts ...

REV

exavid

Hunter
I take my SR40c to the range a couple times a month just to keep myself reasonably accurate with it. I usually use the 15rd mag when I'm going to shoot a bunch of ammo and the short mag when I'm just going to shoot ten or twenty rounds. It's just easier on the hand that way. I always carry it with the short magazine for better concealment. It's really a nice shooter and less snappy than some other .40s I've fired.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
Rei, I polished the barrels on my 9 and 9c- just used elbow grease, steel wool and Flitx or Mothers polish. it turns a really bright chrome-looking. Actually I did the whole slides and barrels- they are really shiny now, and I love the look. Once I had it shined up, I had my initials engraved into the tops of the slides. And a cross over the safety, left side. I'm at work, no pics to share- maybe I can remember when I get home.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
That's a nice look with the SS slide.

To my eye the SS / "plastic" never looked right on the SR's for some reason. At the time of purchase I went to great lengths to get my blackened / black SR9c.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
Guess it's personal preference- I usually wouldn't go to that trouble, but my 9c is special to me- and I got the SR9 to match, bedside gun, can use same holsters (if open bottom) and same ammo- when I had the 9c engraved figured a matched pair. My Dad had an engraved S&W which he gave to me- that's special- so I will be giving my daughter the matched SRs. But I can't figure how to insert pics anymore- and never could figure how to link to shutterfly.

exavid

Hunter
Yep, I prefer black or a blued finish. There may be times when you might want your piece in your hand but not too obvious. The shiny guns wouldn't be as discreet especially at night.