Bad vision - sights are blurry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Iowabucks

Bearcat
Hey everyone, I purchased an SR40 a couple months back and haven't had a chance to shoot it much until last weekend at my local indoor range. I noticed my stock pins are very blurry to me.

I have pretty bad eyesight. Very nearsighted. I have worn glasses since the third grade. I'm 48 now. My vision has been getting worse lately, but that's to be expected. I'm right eye dominant and have early stages of fuchs dystrophy which makes it only possible to get 20/25 vision in that eye. 20/20 in my left. Cloudiness will take over in my right eye down the road.

I can lift my head and look through my bifocals and make the pins clear but it then makes my target blurry. It's one or the other, I can't get both focused. I run into the same problem shooting my bow.

So are there any suggestions anyone may have for me to clear up my sight picture?

I was also hoping I could find a thread showing different sights used on the SR that could possibly help a little bit. My searches were unsuccessful.

Thanks. Jerry,

RUT

Single-Sixer
>>So are there any suggestions anyone may have for me to clear up my sight picture?<<

I have the same problem, and have found that using my dedicated computer glasses help a lot. They allow me to focus on the sights, while at the same time I'm able to make out the target, although it's not all that sharp. If you have a set of these give 'em a try.

SR Fan

Bearcat
I would ask how is the lighting in the indoor range.The indoor range i used to be a member of was pretty dim in there and made my sights on my SR9 a little harder to see, then i went and started shooting at an outdoor range and that was a vast improvement for me but on a cloudy day the booths get kinda dark.

I know this is not a solution to your sight problem... but what I would suggest you try is bring the target into about 15ft and try learning to shoot not using sights. I can keep the rounds within a 3" circle with my P95 at that distance and that seems practical to me.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I suffer from the normal vision problems associated with aging, as well as a slow shift to farsightedness. I can focus on the back sights with my bifocals, but not the front sight. I went to the dollar store and picked up a pair of the weakest readers that allow me to focus at the end of my finger with my arm fully extended. This allows me to focus on the front sight at the range, but gives me the lowest closeup diopter and keeps the target as close to in focus as possible.

It isn't perfect, but it helps. I do better with my readers than I do with my prescription glasses.

Of course, this only works with farsightedness/presbyopia. The next option for me is a red dot (holographic) sight. I haven't tried one yet, but am looking at them. I can still shoot groups that are fine for self defense. I cannot shoot as tight a group as I could years ago with my Mark I, however. I suspect my sight is the main reason.

cfolsom

Bearcat
I am right handed and right eye dominant. I can no longer get a clear sight picture with my right eye. I have now started shooting using my left eye. I turn my head to the right so my right eye is blocked by the bridge of my nose and my left eye takes over. Took time, effort and concentration to get used to, but now it comes natural. I point and shoot at 10 yards or less for combat accuracy and keep it in the kill zones.

Still shoot rifles with my right eye but can get clear sights with the longer barrel. I am sure there will be a shift to becoming a left handed rifle shooter at some point in my future.

If you have to choose, I was always taught clear sights and fuzzy target. That is of course after identifying your target and beyond for safety.

It is just so much fun dealing with age. Good luck.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
I know this is not a solution to your sight problem... but what I would suggest you try is bring the target into about 15ft and try learning to shoot not using sights. I can keep the rounds within a 3" circle with my P95 at that distance and that seems practical to me.

Actually Blume, This isn't a bad idea. The SR series is very point and shoot friendly. It may be the very series for this very issue.

groberts

Single-Sixer
I asked a similar question on another forum and was beratted about "point and shoot". I would up modifying that advice - point a laser and focus on the dot on the target :D . Check out what lasers are avaiable for the SR40. If it has a rail there are plenty and some are really quite small.
I wish I had kept the targets from my last outing. At 25 feet with both my Bersa Thunder 380 and my LC380 I kept all the groups to within 1.5 inches even with my eyesight That's plenty good enough for self defense. I was using the Remington target with the 4 yellow diamonds at the corners. Three round groups and eveything was in the yellow.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Here is the solution. I had my optometrist make me a set of glasses which will come to a clear focus at the exact distance from my eye to the front sight when holding the pistol at arms length. The only clear picture you need is the front sight. You will do just fine with the rear sight and target fuzzy but....front sight MUST be in focus. In your case, you should shift to using your left eye and block your right side with something which will stick to or clip to your right side lens of the glasses. Shoot with your right eye opened but blocked. I also use a Merit adjustable pin hole eye piece to remove some of the fuzziness from near and far. Sounds like a lot to do? The rewards come at the range when you can shoot like a kid again. Good luck. Dave

DGW1949

Hunter
Dantforth said:
Here is the solution. I had my optometrist make me a set of glasses which will come to a clear focus at the exact distance from my eye to the front sight when holding the pistol at arms length. The only clear picture you need is the front sight. You will do just fine with the rear sight and target fuzzy but....front sight MUST be in focus. ..............
................Good luck. Dave

That.
Nobody, of any age, can focus on more than one distance at a time. Our eyes simply aint made to do that.

DGW

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I am happy that you agree with me DGW. The older we get the less our eyes are able to stretch their limits and are not able to conform to short distances easily,and to a lesser extent, longer. The solution I have suggested, both the dedicated glasses and the Merit optical aid, will greatly enhance vision of seniors or near seniors. Try it.....you'll like it! David

Bkat

Blackhawk
Iowa, I have the same problem. Try a diopter--it's just a very small round lens with a very small suction cup that you attach to your glasses so that you can sight through it. I can focus on both the gun sights and the target with it.

Bkat

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Merit Optical.....or diopter. It suction cups to your glasses lens and has an adjustable iris like in a camera lens, which gives you depth of field. To find out what it will do take a piece of black electrical tape and punch a small pin hole in it. Attach to the lens where you look and you will see. The Merit adjusts which gives many benefits in differing light.

6gun

Hunter
I use Clear to Target sighting dics, they are a little sticker with a peep hole in them you stick on your shooting glasses, the Range Master turned me on to these one day when he could tell I was having eye problems, they helped me a lot.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Iowabucks, my dad has (had?) Fuchs & cataracts. Cornea transplants fixed it. Good luck.

As noted, try shooting outdoors, your eyes have more depth of focus in sunlight, and the front sight is the only thing that needs to be in focus, but I'll add that the target needs to be recognizable. I use reading glasses that barely have the front sight in focus, this keeps the target a little less blurry.

Iowabucks

Bearcat
Thanks everyone so far for their ideas.

The lighting in my range wasn't the best, but I could stand back a step or two and get my gun directly under a light, which helped, although not as much as I would have liked. I did shoot it outside once before and don't really remember having as much trouble as inside, but i'm going to give something a try to help the indoor shooting.

The Merit Optical or Clear to Target discs sound like something I want to try. I will try the cheaper ones first and if I like them, I will try the Merit Optical. I have to say i was looking for a fix all, in all conditions, in case I ever have to use my handgun I self defense (hopefully not) which would more than likely be in low light. But it looks like I can't have my cake and eat it to, so for now just a fix at the range will do.

6gun - where do you find the Clear to Target sighting dics? I can't seem to find any info even doing a google search.

Does anyone have any suggestions for aftermarket sights that might help?

Is there a thread somewhere showing pictures comparing different sights?

Getting berated on the internet for suggesting trying point and shoot or anything else is just a part of internet life. You have to take all suggestions and especially criticisms with a grain of salt. Personally, I can see trying to improve one's sight picture using iron sights with a rifle or even a target pistol. But for what is basically supposed to be a self defense weapon at close quarters, I really think point and shoot is the best method and how one should practice. The reality is, at least in my mind, that if on the terrible occasion you needed to use a handgun... there is not going to be anyway you are going to be able to have the time to sight in your target.

Part of the problem I think is how guns are shown on TV.... most of the time the shooter (good or bad) takes one shot...hits the target (person) and they fall over dead..... I suspect a lot of defense shootings (read American Rifleman) are people taking one shot and then stopping to see what happened. From what I've learned, just from word of mouth not in actually conflict, three shots are the minimum.... you really shoot at the 'bad guy' until they are at least down.... in other words you are still shooting at them as they go down.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
Tri-focals. Middle section for monitors and front sights.
Large night sight on the front.
Red dot sight on the back.
Geoff
Who is working with night sights and trifocals, looking at a .22/45 lightweight with a holo sight.

6gun

Hunter
Iowabucks said:
Thanks everyone so far for their ideas.

The lighting in my range wasn't the best, but I could stand back a step or two and get my gun directly under a light, which helped, although not as much as I would have liked. I did shoot it outside once before and don't really remember having as much trouble as inside, but i'm going to give something a try to help the indoor shooting.

The Merit Optical or Clear to Target discs sound like something I want to try. I will try the cheaper ones first and if I like them, I will try the Merit Optical. I have to say i was looking for a fix all, in all conditions, in case I ever have to use my handgun I self defense (hopefully not) which would more than likely be in low light. But it looks like I can't have my cake and eat it to, so for now just a fix at the range will do.

6gun - where do you find the Clear to Target sighting dics? I can't seem to find any info even doing a google search.

Does anyone have any suggestions for aftermarket sights that might help?

Is there a thread somewhere showing pictures comparing different sights?

I can't find them on line anymore either the package says www.clear2target.com they are a static cling disc that can be used over and over, hope they didn't go out of business these work great.

I bought these about 3 years ago on line cost around $10 for the package and they mailed them to me, I have also seen them in gun shops.

Latest posts