9x21 chambered Ruger P89 KP89IDAC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bret

Bearcat
I just picked up my new in the box 9x21 chambered Ruger P89.
9x21_Ruger_P89_right_view.jpg

9x21_Ruger_P89_left_view.jpg

9x21_Ruger_P89_barrel_marking.jpg

The actual model designation is KP89IDAC. The 9x21 chambering of this pistol was meant for the Italian market, but it somehow remained in the US when it was made over twenty years ago. It has never been fired. I got it for $355 after transfer, so it seems like a pretty good deal to me. The pistol seems well made. However, compact or elegant are not words that you'd use when describing it. Functional seems like a more appropriate descriptor. It came with two Klinton 10rd Ruger magazines. Fortunately I already have regular capacity magazines with my Ruger P95, so I'll be selling these 10rd magazines soon to someone in a non-free state. I'll save the money for when the panic dies down and the regular capacity magazines are once again readily available from Ruger.

If you're wondering why I bought a pistol that shoots ammo that is pretty difficult to find, it's primarily because I like reloading odd cartridges. This one is pretty easy to reload because it uses the same bullets, primers, powders and reloading dies as regular 9mm. All I had to do was find some brass. I was fortunate enough to find two boxes of Fiocchi at a local gun shop for $20 each. I'll test fire it using this ammo and then I'll be off to reloading.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Starline makes some 9X21 brass, it is done on a backorder basis, when they get enough orders, they crank up the works and fill those orders. You should go to their website and put in an order. Widener's Reloading sometimes has some in stock. I reload 41 AE, talk about a real tough one to get brass for...hokey schmokells.

Bret

Bearcat
Cheesewhiz said:
I reload 41 AE, talk about a real tough one to get brass for...hokey schmokells.
Brass? Can you even get jacketed bullets for 41AE?

dougader

Hunter
Bret, I have a bunch of CP 9x21 brass in the shop. I sold my 9x21 Glock 17 years ago when I stopped competing in IPSC. If you are interested in the brass just shoot me a pm or an email at dougader at hotmail. I think I sold the ammo I had with the gun, but should have a bunch of unfired brass and maybe some used brass too.

Great find there, too. I saw one listed on GB a couple years ago and was surprised that it took so long to sell.

Sometimes you can find 9x21 ammo from RWS or Sellier & Bellot:

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/pistol-and-revolver-ammunition.php?product=9

Bret

Bearcat
FYI, Midway now has their stainless P-series 15rd magazines in stock. They also just received a shipment of Fiocchi 9x21.

BTW Doug, thanks for the brass