SR45 trouble

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Sent Sr45 back to Prescot last week, it has been having a few light strikes, like 4 or 5 out of 50 rounds and slide only locked open half the time after last round. Last time at range it stopped locking completely and i found that the tab on the slide lock that the mag follower pushes up to lock it open had broke off. My SR45 is nothing like my SR9, 9c, 40 or 40c, they all run flawlessly out of the box. The SR45 that i bought on March 14 is still really tight after 350 rounds, it is still really hard to rack slide with a full mag and for the first 200 rounds was so tight that it would not cycle with full mag and one in the chamber. I am sure they can take care of slide lock issue, and i hope they can resolve the light strike issue. I have never seen a pistol as tight as the SR45, it almost seems like it should have been a 9+1 instead of 10+1. Hopefully will find out in a few weeks.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
My SR45 just came back from Prescott after a consistent problem with failures to go into battery. They replaced the extractor and ran 50 rounds through "the customer's magazines". The 10th round is still an issue even though I mentioned it in my detailed letter to Prescott. The pistol will rack with 10 in the mag (over 500 rounds now), but the top round is scratched to hell when it enters the chamber. I haven't had a chance to shoot it since it came back from Prescott. Hoping for the best. The SR45 ain't my SR9. A couple of thousand rounds with an (an as in one) stovepipe intentionally trying to limp wrist it. The SR9 is sweet. So far the SR45 is questionable at best. We'll see.

xracer98

Bearcat
Conn AK said:
My SR45 just came back from Prescott after a consistent problem with failures to go into battery. They replaced the extractor and ran 50 rounds through "the customer's magazines". The 10th round is still an issue even though I mentioned it in my detailed letter to Prescott. The pistol will rack with 10 in the mag (over 500 rounds now), but the top round is scratched to hell when it enters the chamber. I haven't had a chance to shoot it since it came back from Prescott. Hoping for the best. The SR45 ain't my SR9. A couple of thousand rounds with an (an as in one) stovepipe intentionally trying to limp wrist it. The SR9 is sweet. So far the SR45 is questionable at best. We'll see.

Where is it "scratching" at? Is it by the extracting groove on the case?

daverz56

Bearcat
Hi y'all I'm new to the forum but not new to Ruger firearms.I currently own a Security Six,SR9C and most recently an SR45.At the range the other day I was shooting Armscorp ammo through it and it shot like a dream,almost like shooting a 1911,recoil was real manageable,accurate and reliable,until I started shooting Sellier & Bellot,it simply would not fire,the primers were dented but not by much,I'm thinking hard (defective) primers.I called Ruger and explained my theory and they suggested trying other types of ammo before shipping it back for possible repair.Meanwhile I cleaned the striker and striker channel and will try out some Winchester white box asap.I'm curious,has anyone had problems with Sellier & Bellot? I've used it in the past but it was the 9mm variety.Meanwhile I am in contact with Sellier & Bellot,provided them with the lot number and my suspicians and waiting for a reply.

SR Fan

Bearcat
Light primer strikes 3 out of the last 4 mags sent it back with my Sr40c jammimg issues on that one.

daverz56

Bearcat
Well today clinches it,it's not the ammo because it shot fine out of my Glock36.On to of that the mag disconnect decided to stop working.Looks like she's going in for repairs,it's a shame because it shoots like a dream when it's working correctly.

daverz56

Bearcat
WELL,today she got shipped back for repair,I'm gonna miss her till she gets back

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
xracer98 said:
Conn AK said:

Where is it "scratching" at? Is it by the extracting groove on the case?
No it was the top round casing itself. Just bought an SR9c today. Sold the Sr45 a few months ago after a 2nd trip to Prescott. The 2nd trip the mag release crapped the bed. Too bad, the SR45 shot very well when it worked. Just can't compare to my SR9 in reliability and accuracy. Look forward to the SR9c and what adventure awaits. Once the bugs are ironed out of the SR45 (the SR9 and LCP had them, too), it will be a world beater. I bought my SR9 after the trigger and mag release issues and the LCP I bought after the drop/bang recall. Sometimes you have to wait while a "new" gun cuts it's teeth. Think I bought the SR45 back in January if I recall.

daverz56

Bearcat
My sr45 is already on it's way back to me after they replaced the mag disconnect,put in a new mag release button and spring,and they replaced the striker assembly.sounds brand new again,should be here by Friday and i'm excited cause that was fast.The lady I talked to told me they've been pretty quiet so if you need work done now's the time.

MGFed

Bearcat
I got an email from Prescott today telling me that the SR45 I sent back last week is unrepairable. They are going to replace it for me at no charge. I am surprised that it could not be fixed at the factory and must be destroyed. I took this gun to the range three times and put about 250 rounds through it. I wonder what risks I was taking by firing this particular gun? While I appreciate that I am getting a new gun, I am just scratching my head over this whole thing...thoughts anyone?

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
That rarely happens, but I remember someone on a S&W forum stating S&W has to scrap his returned pistol. They will have to do some paperwork for the new serial number I reckon.

MGFed

Bearcat
Conn AK; Yep, their email said that they will file the paperwork to account for the destruction of the gun sold to me and show the new serial number sent to me through a licensed dealer of my choice. I hope that all of the paperwork works and it doesn't cause me trouble down the road when I least expect it.

daverz56

Bearcat
I'm still floored,I sent my SR45 for repair and had it back n less than a week.They replaced the mag disconnect,striker assembly,mag release button and spring then run 30 rounds of good ammo through it.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
MGFed said:
I got an email from Prescott today telling me that the SR45 I sent back last week is unrepairable. They are going to replace it for me at no charge. I am surprised that it could not be fixed at the factory and must be destroyed. I took this gun to the range three times and put about 250 rounds through it. I wonder what risks I was taking by firing this particular gun? While I appreciate that I am getting a new gun, I am just scratching my head over this whole thing...thoughts anyone?
I would be wondering if I really wanted another one ? :)

revhigh

Hawkeye
Sell it as unfired, minimize your loss, and buy a metal gun. :D

REV

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
If they replace a SR45 they will most likely use the same serial number, they replaced the frame on my early 330 prefix SR9 with a new 331 prefix frame and put the original serial number on it so now i have the latest SR9 pistol with a 2008 serial number date, everything is new except slide and barrel. I sent my SR45 back with a broken slide lock, it would not lock open after last shot, and it has performed flawlessly after i got it back