Convert LC9 to .380?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
If the difference is the slide, barrel, recoil spring, and magazine, then it would appear that you could buy a .380 barrel, recoil spring, and magazine, and convert an LC9 to shoot .380, similar to the .22 conversion kits for 1911s, or how you can convert a .40 S&W to shoot 9mm. If there is no difference in the slide other than the markings, then a different slide wouldn't be necessary, but if there is a difference in the two slides (and there may be, in the way the barrel fits) then you'd need a .380 slide as well.

At that point, it may be just about as cheap to buy a LC380... :lol:

GKC

Blackhawk
I know you can convert a M&P 40 to shoot 9mm with a 9mm barrel, recoil assembly, and magazine...no slide change is necessary. (You can't go "up" from 9mm to 40.) S&W sells barrels separately and there are aftermarket barrels available, as well. I don't know if anyone has done likewise with a SR40 to 9mm, or if Ruger even sells barrels and slides separately.

I'm not a current pert, or even an expert, but if there is an issue with the slide, it would seem to be the way the barrel fits into it, and not with slide fit to frame, since supposedly the frame is the same on the LC9 and LC380. If you do have to buy a slide, barrel, recoil spring, guide rod (?), and magazine, it might be cheaper just to buy the whole gun. :wink:

Skinnedknuckles

Bearcat
rgburrill said:
You would think so. However, my manual says the barrel and slide are factory installed only.

May be, but when they replaced the unpinned front sight with a pinned sight on my LC9, they just sent me a new slide with a pinned front sight and I then shipped back my old slide in their return envelope. Not much factory fitting there :)

GKC

Blackhawk
Skinnedknuckles said:
rgburrill said:
You would think so. However, my manual says the barrel and slide are factory installed only.

May be, but when they replaced the unpinned front sight with a pinned sight on my LC9, they just sent me a new slide with a pinned front sight and I then shipped back my old slide in their return envelope. Not much factory fitting there :)

When I contacted Ruger about the front sight on my wife's LC9 (it has some rust on it) they initially said they would just send me a new slide...but when I gave them the serial number and mentioned that it was the TALO Gold model, they said they'd send me a shipping label to mail it in, since they don't have any more of those slides. They are also going to look at a couple of other minor issues while it's there so it works out.

6gun

Hunter
If you want a 380 just buy one or trade the LC9 off for one.

GKC

Blackhawk
6gun said:

I could certainly do that....the point was seeing if I could have two guns in one, so to speak...but if it's going to cost more to enable the LC9 to shoot .380 (or if it's not even possible) than it costs to just buy a LC380, then it isn't cost effective.

The other consideration is that if it is feasible, then it really is of interest for my wife's LC9, since she has the TALO Gold edition, and if I didn't have to change out the slide, then it would really be of interest to give her two choices of caliber.

groberts

Single-Sixer
Maybe it's me since I have heard that your memory goes when you get old (though I don't remember where I heard that) but I would be very concerned about which round the gun was set up for. The last thing you would want is to use a 380 magazine when the barrel has the 9mm chamber. :shock:

6gun

Hunter
GKC said:
6gun said:

I could certainly do that....the point was seeing if I could have two guns in one, so to speak...but if it's going to cost more to enable the LC9 to shoot .380 (or if it's not even possible) than it costs to just buy a LC380, then it isn't cost effective.

The other consideration is that if it is feasible, then it really is of interest for my wife's LC9, since she has the TALO Gold edition, and if I didn't have to change out the slide, then it would really be of interest to give her two choices of caliber.

Thats why most of us own more than one gun different choices of cals. as inexpensive as those little small cal. guns are you should have 2 or 3 different models of each cal. :p

George

Blackhawk
Is the length of the LC.380 barrel the same or longer then the the barrel on the LC9?longer is ok. Measure it when gun is in Battery with a wood dowel put a line at the end of the barrel and measure it. How about you guys out there with a LC.380 and a caliper can you measure the front of the barrel where the slide is fit to it? This may be a start for you "us".. next would be to meet up with someone in your area with a LC.380! I think you may have something here . Like you say if you don't have to change out the slide.. I would be interested also as my wife has the TALO silver engraved edition 1 of 1500 of the LC9.. George

Your proposed conversion would end up costing you more than a new good 380 would, I think.
And I can't see any benefit to it.... I suspect you would find that the 380's recoil is just about the same as the 9mm.

groberts

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
Your proposed conversion would end up costing you more than a new good 380 would, I think.
And I can't see any benefit to it.... I suspect you would find that the 380's recoil is just about the same as the 9mm.
See below:
Cartridge (Wb@MV) Pistol Wt. (lbs.) Recoil E. (ft. lbs.) Recoil V. (fps)
.380 ACP (90 at 1000) 1.5 2.5 10.4
.380 ACP (95 at 900) 0.6 5.4 24.2
9x19 (115 at 1155) 1.5 5.2 15

The first line is something like the Bersa Thunder 380. It is a little heavier than the LC380 but is useful for comparison. The second line is roughly the LCP. As you can see the felt recoil is about twice that of the first line. Note that even though a slightly heavier bullet is used the velocity difference actaully makes the muzzle velocity less. The third line uses the same weight as the first (just like an LC380/LC9). The recoil is again twice that of the 380.
Like I've said, the LCP has about the same felt recoil as an LC9 and both are considerably higher than the LC380.

GKC

Blackhawk
If I understand rgburrill's data correctly, then the LC380 should have considerably less felt recoil than a LC9...is that right? That is consistent with reviews of the LC380. (Of course, felt recoil is also a subjective factor to a degree, depending on the sensitivity of the shooter.)

I agree that if you have to buy a slide, converting a LC9 to shoot .380 would probably cost more than just buying a LC380. However, a TALO Gold model like my wife's gun (which she loves, as far as looks go) might not even exist...so, if she wanted to shoot .380 in it, and if the slide didn't have to be replaced, then buying a barrel, recoil springs, and magazines would be worth it. I can't imagine that the guide rod would need to be changed out. The main question is the slide.

GKC

Blackhawk
I sent Ruger an e-mail via their website, to ask if it can be done, and what would be necessary. I'll post their reply when I get it.

GKC

Blackhawk
Well, that was quick (not something a man usually likes to hear, but in this case...)

I got a very terse response to my e-mail to Ruger: "No, that is something we would not recommend doing."

Interesting to note that they don't say it can't be done...just that they don't recommend doing it. Perhaps they want to sell the new pistol as a unit, rather than parts for it...I dunno. I do plan to buy a LC380 at some point, and when I do, I could see if/how the barrel, springs, and magazines function in my wife's LC9.

Gearhead Jim

Bearcat
I missed the explanation of why one would want to do the conversion.

.380 ammo is usually more expensive and harder to find than 9 x 19.

One could handload, or perhaps buy custom loads, that were reduced velocity in 9 x 19. If you have cycling problems, cut the recoil springs in small steps or buy a LC380 spring set.

We really need that .22 conversion that is rumored from another company.

GKC

Blackhawk
Gearhead Jim said:
I missed the explanation of why one would want to do the conversion.

The reported recoil of the LC380 is much less than the LC9...my wife's LC9 is the TALO Gold edition, and she loves the way it looks. So, if I could convert it to shoot .380 the recoil management would be an improvement, versus just buying her an LC380. If it won't work, then it may be best to buy her a LC380 for carry, and let her keep the TG LC9 as a safe queen. I want an LC380 for myself, since the LCP is just too small...so it'd be nice if we could both have magazines and ammo to share in our carry guns.

George

Blackhawk
Barrel end on the LC9 it's cone is 13.66mm looking at the Ruger site the barrel length is the same.I looked at a .380 case and a 9mm case and I know this would work in the org. 9mm slide! I think things are looking good to fit a LC.380 barrel to a LC9's frame and slide.. I think we now need the two guns to come together just to see the fit.. I know of no LC.380 near me. Can anyone get together and just fit them together Install the LC.380 battel into the LC9 and not fire it just to see if it's really plausible to work out.. Thanks george

Also that slide stop release is a easy fix. Just remove the slide press up on the slide release " stop" lever to gain access to the paw and smooth it off with a stone. It's very sharp from the factory.. I did this to my wife's gun and it's 100% functionable now just like all my other pistols!