SR9C vs LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trucker

Single-Sixer
DonD said:
Comments from those with experience on both guns would be appreciated. Thanks, Don

For most folks the LCP is just not as pleasant to shoot nor is it as easy to shoot accurately as is the SR9C. I have an LCP and an SR9C ... LOVE 'em both and would hate to part with either of them so this isn't intended as a slam. It's just stating a fact. If one recognizes and keeps in mind the limitations of the LCP as well as the advantages it offers, it's a great gun. It wasn't designed to be a target pistol or a fun gun and I doubt that most gun savvy people buy it with either of those two uses in mind. But there is a specific personal defense niche it will fill quite nicely. Mine has never failed to go bang when I pulled it's trigger unless I was dry firing it and there has never been one problem of any kind. Keep in mind that it is extremely light and there's not much to hold on to, so even if the shooter is deaf there will be no doubt in the shooters mind when it goes bang. I highly recommend the Hougue Handall Hybrid grip sleeve made especially for the LCP.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=666_692

Tames the little gal considerably.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
The Ruger store has a new 7 round magazine with an extended floor plate for the LCP and they make it a lot more pleasant to shoot. Mine arrived last week and i plan on getting one more. I have not noticed the LCP recoil any heavier than the SR9c, maybe a little snappier but not objectable it is just not as comfortable to hold, but the extended mag helps. The LCP is best used for CC when nothing else will work and it conceals vary well but most of the time in warm weather i prefer the LC9 when it is too warm to carry my SR40c. After shooting the SR9c the trigger on the LCP will take some getting used to but overall it is a great little pistol.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I've had about 500 rounds with the sr9c, a hair over 3000 with the sr40c, about 300 with the LC9, and only about 50 with the LCP.

I can only really echo what Trucker and Cjs have already said. Your entering a whole new world in terms of feel of the gun with either the LC9 Or LCP. To me they really are not comparable at all even if you narrow it to recoil only. Aside from a completely different feel between the SR's and LCP/LC9 the trigger is probably the biggest hurtle to overcome. For me personally the travel and break of the LCP is a deal breaker. Maybe she would be okay with it, it simply feels horrible to me and I could not overcome it. Some can. It is bad enough in my mind that I can see it affecting my shooting even in the close in self defense situation it is designed for.

On paper I love it and understand its not meant to be a range gun, in practice having shot them all I would never carry the LC9 Or LCP the trigger is so horrible (from my perspective) that it would be a cause of concern.

Skidboot

Single-Sixer
Here's another point of view. My wife and I together probably have more than 1000 rds through the LCP, and neither of us find it difficult or taxing to shoot. It's a little flippy, but the recoil isn't brutal, certainly not like a S&W Airweight, for example. Of course, it is way different from any 9mm large handgun, but it's not bad to shoot. As far as the trigger goes, it is long travel, but it's smooth and doesn't stack which, I think, is perfect for a carry gun with no safety. And nothing carries easier and has the reliability of the LCP (at least mine, and I've had 3).

Kevets

Bearcat
Not really a nasty recoil but I think a lot of people are surprised by the first shot. It's usually a lot stiffer than they expect.

revhigh

Hawkeye
In order not to shoot any innocent civilians next to or behind the perp, you have to have a damn firm hold on the little guy, preferably with two hands, and really concentrate on trigger control and your sight picture. If you just flail away one handed .... Two things will happen .... You'll miss the target, and you'll shoot an innocent person. You better really know what you're doing if you open up on somebody with one of these in a pressure situation. It ain't the range any more, Dorothy ...

REV

cfolsom

Bearcat
I have one and my wife enjoys shooting it. I prepped her for it to kick/snap in her hand more then her 38, due to size and weight. Apparently I oversold it, and she thought it was mild and comfortable. Hindsight, overselling it was a good thing.

Not having an sr9c, can't do a direct comparison. I would like to point out the trigger is a LONG pull with a decent amout of pressure needed at the break point. With regular practice, dry or live fire, you get used to it. But you definitely need to be aware it is different.

If I recall the Hickok45 video correctly, he points out that his large hands struggle with it and he has to position his trigger finger differently from other guns to get a good trigger break. Side note, Hickok45 is entertaining and informative. Try watching Nutnfancy and his videos on the LCP.

The LCP is a gun that alot of people end up carrying more due to low weight and comfort. It is better to carry a .380, than leave a 38,9,357,45, etc.... at home and go without a gun.

RickE

Bearcat
Excuse me if I missed it, but I did not see mention of the big brother of LCP, the LC9. It fills the gap between the two. :roll:

MnBulldog

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
In order not to shoot any innocent civilians next to or behind the perp, you have to have a damn firm hold on the little guy, preferably with two hands, and really concentrate on trigger control and your sight picture. If you just flail away one handed .... Two things will happen .... You'll miss the target, and you'll shoot an innocent person. You better really know what you're doing if you open up on somebody with one of these in a pressure situation. It ain't the range any more, Dorothy ...

True, but true with all carry guns alike.

RickE

Bearcat
Greetings Bearcat. Sorry, I think your post to me was regarding another person's comment.

Best regards,
Rick

accessbob

Bearcat
revhigh said:

REV
I shoot the LCP better (read more accurately) one handed than with two hands. Of course I normally carry more than the LCP so it is my backup backup. Actually for the size I have it in my back pocket in a pocket holster for those possible moments where someone wants my wallet and it would be natural to reach there for a gun and not arouse suspicion. Otherwise the SR1911, XDx45, or the Firestorm .38spl are on call.

bada61265

Single-Sixer
i have the lc9 and xdm 9 compact. at first i had a feeling they were going to be at odds to see which one would win out for carry purposes. I have settled on the LC9 as a primary carry option due in part to its more compact concealable size and its great performance at the range against the xdm. the xdm is more accurate to be shure, but combat accuracy with the lc9 at the same distance > 10m was more than satisfactory. I found the xdm lacked in concealed carry unless i dressed up for it. in summer months thats not always a good thing. i liked the lcp but prefer to go with the slightly larger 9mm lc9 due to the much better ammo choices available and i have not seen 380 in these parts or online since i can remember almost, lol. the sights on the lc9 are far better than the lcp. I really like the bolt hold open feature on any semi auto, another plus for the lc9. i think the safety is a nice plus though i dont plan on using it some do prefer it and if i handed one to someone at the range i would definatly feel better doing it with safety on. so for me lc9 primary xdm9c secondary and in the colder months may see some switching to primary weapon. i think its all personal preference in the end. if you can source 380 in your area then at least you can factor in the lcp as a light wear summer carry option. really do hope the ammo situation changes soon.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
I have both also (along with the LC9). They all have a place. For summer carry, the LCP is perfect.
For extra safety, the SR9c and in between the LC9.

Lateck,