sr40c grip mods?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jammer

Single-Sixer
i recently picked this one up and got it out for some range time. i have a love/hate thing going on here. pro's- its a shooter. i hit with it and its super reliable so far. i paid 349+ for the pistol in new condition with 1 -9 rnd and 2-15rnd mags. good deal.... con's- the pop-up, loaded-chamber indicator is hideous. but i can overlook that. what i cant overlook is the overall feel of this grip. it's too deep from front to back. i have average hands and being short with the 9 rnd mag in it doesnt bother me much, but i have to really choke-up on the grip and re-adjust constantly for a decent hold. it just doesnt feel right in my hand... i'm just wondering what, if anything can be done to this pistol to improve the horrible grip on it? i remember seeing articles on trimming and shaving polymer grips on glocks and another make of handgun to custom fit them.. has anyone done this with one of these pistols yet? it seems that if i could just take the corners of the grip down a bit and slim the back of the tang it might fit a lot better. i'm not afraid to do this myself if i just get a little guidance from someone who's done it, or at least can tell me where the problem areas might be going into it? best way to do it... etc... if not i'll probably sell or trade it. i just hate to part with a good shooting pistol. i'm a bit frustrated here because i love ruger revolvers, i've had a bunch of them. this is only my 2nd ruger auto. what do you think? is there hope for me or should i just let it go to a good home????

please dont recommend a stick on tape or slip on hogue. i know about these and its not what i want to do here. i need to slim this grip down, not build it up. particularly between my trigger finger and thumb, and round the corners that run down the front of the grip underneath the trigger guard.. can anyone recommend a gunsmith in wisconsin that might have experience doing this type of mod to polymer pistols?? thanks chris

WayneJessie

Bearcat
I have medium hands and really enjoy my SR9C. I do sometimes wish the grip length was a hair longer but it's not an issue that hinders my ability to shoot it. Compact carry guns are all compromises. Many give up some ergos to be more concealable and others give up some concealability to offer more capacity.
I love Rugers but my suggestion to you is that if it really bugs you to sell it. No doubt you could get you money out of it right now. There are several other compact carry guns that offer more grip length. I also carry the 17 round SR9 mag with the grip extension on my belt and that mag/extension completely transforms the way the gun feels in hand. You really may want to get a SR40 mag and the extension Ruger sells for it and try it.

jammer

Single-Sixer
i've owned others that didnt feel so bad in my hands. and i'm speaking only of 40 s&w. the glocks and the xd's are much better in the grip dept. imo. should have kept them i guess... again its not the length of the grip. i have 2-15 rnd mags that came with it and while they're ok they still leave a bit to be desired also as i said the problem isnt in the length its in the contour/shape and distance from trigger finger rearward. i feel that if i remove some material in key areas i may be able to get it where i need it in my hand. also i hate the way the 15 rnd mags with extensions move when i shoot with them in place. i realize that trade offs can happen in this game. like the stubbed grip with 9 rnd mag. fine, but the actual dimensions and contour of these grips are horrible. i do feel that ruger could have done a much better job in shaping the grip on this pistol. it just irritates me because i do really like the way this one shoots and carries. i just cant get past the grip. oh well, if i cant find any help modifying it to fit me than its going to get traded, as much as i hate to. i do know this has been done to the glock and others so if anyone has any info it would be much appreciated. thanks, chris

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Are you aware of the reversible insert in the grip that allows you to make the grip slightly larger or smaller from front to back?

With most people the "feel" of the SR series, the way it just "fits" and points, is a love at first feel affair.

If the gun will not "fit" you you ought not be shooting it. Simple as that.

WayneJessie

Bearcat
Trucker said:
Are you aware of the reversible insert in the grip that allows you to make the grip slightly larger or smaller from front to back?

With most people the "feel" of the SR series, the way it just "fits" and points, is a love at first feel affair.

If the gun will not "fit" you you ought not be shooting it. Simple as that.

True. I have a new G19 I am selling simply because the grip of it just ain't working for me. Though some think it's the perfect gun I don't so it's got to go. My SR9C is as close to what I want in a CCW. Not everything but as close as I have found.

jammer

Single-Sixer
i wish you guys would read my post instead of asking questions i already answered.. no offense but....

anyway, to each his own i always say. the pistol IS a shooter no doubt, but this grip imho is horrible. the reversable strap is a joke. with it flat the grip feels naked on the back, with it turned out it just irritates my hand. the checkering is too sharp as well as the front corners of the grip are not rounded enough and they irritate my fingers too. i constantly have to choke up on the grip to keep a decent hold. if you cant hold the pistol securely its not really a good defensive sidearm now is it??? dont get me wrong, i'm a huge ruger fan. i've had several revolvers super redhawks, gp's, and 2 sp101's. and 10/22's along with mini 14's.. loved them all.

so again i'll ask if there is anyone out there who knows about re-shaping polymer grips/frames... it would be much appreciated. if i still cant used to it or stomach it... its up for trade. i could use another handi rifle in 35 whelen, a savage hog hunter in 308, or a ruger alaskan brush hunter in 375 ruger. just sayin' :mrgreen:

gstan1919

Single-Sixer
Not sure if there is enough material to do any shaving for a custom fit.
I do however need to ask a silly little question.
Did you ever hold this pistol in your hand before you made the purchase?

jammer

Single-Sixer
why would i need to hold it in my hand before i buy it? :roll: as i said it was a good deal and came with extras, so i bought it to make a little cash or better yet use it for trade on something else, not for personal use.. i'm in the market for a few rifles i have plenty of handguns. my sp101 is my main carry piece.. turns out, i like the way this one shoots. hate the grip... chris

calee

Bearcat
jammer said:
why would i need to hold it in my hand before i buy it? :roll:

Just guessing here but.....then you could have just gotten the rifle and avoided the need for this thread?? :shock:

jammer

Single-Sixer
yeah i could have huh? but then i wouldnt make a quick $75 or so off the deal would i? $75 towards the rifle.. in a bad economy with bills stackin up. forgive me also for giving the little gun a shot and running some ammo i had collecting dust through it just to see if maybe i might like it and then keep it for myself. forgive me for reading those articles about 10 years ago that went through cutting and shaving a glock pistol and a couple others to custom fit to a guys hand that it didnt fit out of the box. forgive me for coming to a forum of so called "gun enthusiasts" even "experts" to see if anyone here can help with finding a good guy to deal with... flippin' internet.. lol... chris

Kevets

Bearcat
If you don't like it, sell it.

The funny thing is that I didn't buy a Glock because I "put it in my hand." Everybody has different hands.

jammer

Single-Sixer
so then, you dont know of any gunsmiths that have experience re -shaping polymer frames?? thanks for the tip buddy. :wink: chris

jammer

Single-Sixer
just a little fyi for anyone else looking to consider something like this :wink: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=174104

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I can't speak to thinning the grip area of the frame. Never done it. One thing I'd be concerned about is that the frame is "glass-filled nylon". I wonder how far below the surface the fiberglass is.

Now, you can snug up the grip adapter for the full-sized magazine. I just use a strip of duct tape on the back of the mag and slide the grip adapter over the tape. That makes the grip adapter feel like it is part of the mag.

jammer

Single-Sixer
thanks mike, in some areas like the front of the grip (below the trigger guard) the plastic is very thin on this gun. its definately a problem area i'm concerned about. havent heard back from robar yet, still waiting. if no word by tomorrow evening i'll try calling them on wednesday. they seem to be one of the good co's out there doing this.. i would think that the fiberglass is not layered underneath but integrally molded. meaning throughout the entire frame.. i actually thought i might just epoxy the grip adapter to the magazines permanantly. chris

Latest posts