380 Auto (ACP) 90 gr JHP Corbon Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HadEmAll

Bearcat
I initially came on and posted that the Corbon 90 .380 was labeled +P, and as such Ruger says no in the LCP.

I went online to look it up, and the Corbon round is no longer labeled +P, though the performance, at least as printed on the box (1050 fps) is the same.

Funny, because I have several boxes of it clearly labeled +P. They have changed the designation, and kept the performance the same.

So, I deleted my post.

NOW, that being said, I have shot the 90 grain .380 Corbon load out of my Kahr P380, and got a 5-shot average of 945 fps - for 179 ft/lbs ME. I would expect the velocities out of the LCP to be about the same. I promise you will not get 1050 fps from that load in the LCP.

I never shot the Corbon in my LCP, because the lot I have was labeled +P.

Guess I'll give it a shot, pun intended, in my LCP now.

FYI, I get 877 fps for 155 ft/lbs ME from Speer Gold Dot 90 grain JHPs out of the LCP, and I like the construction of the bonded Gold Dot bullet. I believe it will penetrate better than the bullet Corbon uses in their 90 grain .380 load.

Anyway, I'll report back with velocities of the Corbon 90 grain load out of my LCP when I try it.

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I stop at the gun show seen these for sale
Corbon 90 gr. JHP at 1050 FPS box also states High Velocity Ammo
1050 FPS @ 220 Ft./lb
did not state +P
I just went over to the web site and it stated the
SD38090/20 are +P
which is it????
can I run these threw the ruger LCP or NOT??

Cholo

Staff member
^^^And I just went there and it said nothing about the same cartridge being +P. The last box I have, bought several years ago, doesn't say +P. I'll use it regardless.

http://shopcorbon.com/380-auto-90gr-corbon-self-defense-jhp?mfp=11-type-of-cartridge%5BHandgun%5D&page=4

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I did a google search funny some seller list it as +P other state high velocity ammo .
The box is blue and white state high velocity
1050 fps
220 ftlbs
I hate to damage my ruger LCP
I have not yet loaded any in the gun
I may just use it in my S@W PPK/S which is a all steel frame and keep Hornady Critical defense and Fiocchi 95 HP in the ruger

joemsj51

Bearcat
I'm new at the pistol-shootin' business. I'm guessing that in about 10-20 years, I will have a shoe-box full of ammo that did not pan-out at the range for me.

You guys should see all the muzzleloader bullets and accessories I have. Some of that stuff has dust on it about 1/8th inch thick. Not everything we buy for our guns works out as pre-planned. I'm living proof of that. :wink:

Jim Puke

Hunter
Interesting gel test of Corbon and others...not sure who put any confidence in these...but still interesting to the differences in them in this test.

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/final-results-of-the-380-acp-ammo-quest/

5of7

Hunter
I think that the problem with +P ammo in the LCP is that the slide velocity beats the gun up too much.

So, if one installed a recoil spring that was slightly stronger it seems like it would mitigate that problem somewhat. Of course, doing so might relegate the gun to a +P only gun, but for PD it might be worth it.

On the other hand, I am carrying my LCP loaded with ARX ammo manufactured by Polycase. I am impressed with the difference between ARX ammo and regular 380 ammo. Much more cavitation and penetration remains good. 8)