KP944DC project, high polish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
So I took a couple different P94 models and made this. I like it but wish it was 9mm instead of 40. I have a chrome plated 9mm mag that would be perfect for this.

Any one have an idea on grip screws that would match better? I put some custom 89 pearl grips on but the black screws don't look right.

Keep the P-guns alive!

As some of you know, I'm going thru a divorce so this is how I spent my day today. I get the kids tomorrow though!!!

wixedmords

Blackhawk
royit, if you ran the face of those grip screws over with a wire wheel, off the gun of course, wouldn't they polish up?

If not, chrome paint or polished aluminum paint.

I actually think some black accents would make that pistol stand out (trigger, take-down lever, sights, and decock lever). If the grips matched the frame color, the black accents would really stand out more.

Good luck and I'm glad you are seeing your children.

PS. You know Calvin would say "Go Gold". :)

Al James

Hunter
Bling, bling...I agree on the black accents too. You are very creative with these P guns. I run my P guns bone stock except for a grip change. But as they say, to each his own.

BTW, Merry Xmas Roy! Glad you get the kids for the day. Hope you have a great Xmas and happy new year too. :D

roylt

Hunter
I have a factory high polish single six and GP100 and when a friend of mine was looking for his first 9mm he found a CZ that was all polished out and I like the way it looks. The stainless looks a lot better than the alum frame but that is the material.

It is hard to tell but I left the top of the slide factory finish. I just went around the slide. The frame is complete with the mod of the trigger guard.

I also used P97 decock levers.

As for the screws polishing out, they would but then they would rust easy. The blueing helps some. I may polish some warn ones I have and then coat with clear fingernail polish or something to see what that looks like.

Thanks for the kind words and Happy Holidays to you too.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Royit,

The Hogue Extreme grips screws for the P series claim to be stainless.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_96&products_id=7714

http://www.emegabuy.com/ruger-p85p91p94-grip-screws-slot-black-p-46565.html

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZBDX06/ref=asc_df_B002ZBDX062321254?smid=A2LC8VV0IPLBLH&tag=dealtmp3862-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B002ZBDX06

Maybe if you contacted Hogue, they might be able to cross reference or physically look at some grip screws and get you into some stainless hex slot screws. ;)

roylt

Hunter
So I googled around a bit and found the screws for as little as $3.50 or so but shipping is around 12 bucks. I don't need them that bad. At least not right now.

Good info though and thanks,

roylt

Hunter
So I buffed out the grip screws and found a metal footed mag to use.

I just need to clear coat the grip screws to safe guard against rust and she is done.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
Looks sweet Roy.... I like it :wink:

BTW - Happy New Year. Sorry to hear the D news. Been there a few times, never fun.

roylt

Hunter
Thanks John. You know your 40 could look like this too. haha.

A few times! The amount of pain involved in this is horrible. I hope to never have to do this again. Plus I couldn't afford it either. HAHA

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Thanks John. You know your 40 could look like this too. haha.

A few times! The amount of pain involved in this is horrible. I hope to never have to do this again. Plus I couldn't afford it either. HAHA

My KP94DC is like new and my KP944DC is still baby fresh, never fired LOL. However, I did pick up some ammo for it before this recent spike in demand. These Ruger KP's are a good fit for me, and the only reason I wanted to sell was due to stocking another caliber ammo and that being the only .40 cal. Now that I got some ammo.... it's gonna stick around awhile I guess. Once mine gets a little worn and weathered, probably well after I'm gone, someone else can polish it up LOL.

Yes, unfortunately a few times, 3 to be exact. Being a military service kinda guy for 22 years and deployed for months at a time makes it difficult to throw a log in the fire place (so to speak)... to keep that fire burning. But, I'm fortunate that things went as smooth as they did during those rough times, and they were very rough. Not saying it gets easier after the first, but you are a little smarter at least. Unfortunately, it took me three times to really wise up. Dad always said I was a glutton for punishment.... the key is to learn early and not poke yourself in the eye if poking yourself in the eye hurts. It will get better, I promise. Maintain a focus, stay on course, keep a level head (but on a swivel) and don't dwell on the BS.

roylt

Hunter
wixedmords said:
I think those came out nice royit. The mag foot is an oftenn overlooked touch.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Keep up the good work.

I didn't know the P-guns had a metal foot at all until I happened on an old P91. Got lucky really.

Thanks,

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
So I took a couple different P94 models and made this. I like it but wish it was 9mm instead of 40. I have a chrome plated 9mm mag that would be perfect for this.

Any one have an idea on grip screws that would match better? I put some custom 89 pearl grips on but the black screws don't look right.

Keep the P-guns alive!

As some of you know, I'm going thru a divorce so this is how I spent my day today. I get the kids tomorrow though!!!
Roy, forgive me, I didn't sift through this thread to see if my answer is there, but did you polish that frame (reciever)??? How did you do this, and, doesn't that polish part of the hard coating away?? Also, do they scratch easily this way? Please advise, thanks! Sorry you're going through a divorce, that's gotta be hard no matter how you slice it. John

roylt

Hunter
I did polish the whole pistol less the top of the slide. I thought maybe the polished top would effect the sight picture. I used a power sander for the first big removal of material switching to hand power and going with finer and finer grits. using scotch brite pads as well. Then the actual polishing was done with a 4" buffer wheel on a hand wand type deal. I used a green color buffer compound that I got at harbor freight for stainless / alum material.

It made the gun slippery and being a 40cal the slide is hard to rack after your hands sweat a little. As for the frame hardness, I'm not sure. seems ok but I do baby my guns.

It was a fun project. It is just a safe queen now. I figure I could always ruff the stainless parts back to more of a factory finish but the frame would need to be coated or maybe anodized?

89 note: The older models have the flats on the slide factory polished. That is what pushed me to try this.