RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Breaking in the SR9c
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:23 am 
Single-Sixer

I own a SR9c and I have a friend who owns one. My friend only fired a box of 147gr ammo and a ten and 17 round mag of his carry ammo Hornady Critical Defense, then started carrying it.

Can you agree with this? I fired 50 rounds of 147gr, 50 rounds of 125gr, then 100 rounds of 115gr before I carried mine.

Post subject: Re: Breaking in the SR9c
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:52 am 
Single-Sixer

Everybody has their own comfort level. I shot quite a few hundred rounds through mine before carrying it, but then I had to wait a month and a half after purchasing it before my CWP arrived in the mail. If my card was in the week I bought it, and I had around a hundred rounds through it with no problems, then I would probably have carried it.

A lot depends on whether you have other options to carry. If it were your only weapon suitable to carry, then I would rather have an untested weapon with me, than just a cell phone.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:19 am 
Blackhawk

My Sr9, Sr40, SR40c, LC9 and LCP have been so dependable that i would have no problem carrying one after shooting one magazine out of it. None of those pistols have ever had any problems with any type of ammo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:21 am 
Single-Sixer

When I first got my 9c, it was having issues with trigger resetting. Sent it in, they replaced the trigger parts, and now works beautifully. I''ve read in various places 300 rounds + 5-10 of your carry ammo and if no problems, go for it. That's what I ended up doing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:27 am 
Bearcat

Some say 200 rounds without a failure, some say more, some say less. I tend to agree that it's whatever is in your comfort zone.

I do not carry - yet. Have a Utah CHL but going for my Texas license soon.

But I can say this. I have probably 500 rounds thru my SR9c, mostly WWB and Federal, and a box of JHPs. Not one failure. Zero. Zip. Nada. No problem feeding or ejecting. They all went bang.

I am very impressed with this pistol. Fits my hand wonderfully with either mag, easy to get on target, has a trigger with little, if any, take up and breaks like glass. As much as I liked my old P95 there is just no comparison.

And while I might be in the minority here, I actually like having the external safety and LCI.

Would I trust mine for carry? Absolutely.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:34 am 
Single-Sixer

I see that SR9c owners are very confident in the gun, just as I am. I could have started carrying mine sooner but I felt a little over 200 rounds is a good break-in and as you say I had another carry gun.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:32 pm 
Bearcat

Before I got my concealed carry permit on September 14th I put 300-350 rounds through mine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:49 am 
Single-Sixer

I put 50 down range the day I bought mine. Then went home, cleaned it and starting carrying it. I've put well over 500 down it by now and never one issue.

9/11/01 - Never Forget

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:06 am 
Bearcat

I've got close to 500 rounds, mostly Federal range ammo, but also 20 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty. Not one problem with any of it. I don't expect my permit for another month or so, and will probably put some more of the Defensive ammo through it. But with the zero issues I've had, I wouldn't hesitate to start carrying it right now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:06 am 
Newly Registered

50 rounds of Magtech, Aguila and even steel case Tula and not a problem. I am impressed so far with the accuracy and comfort this baby has. I will be carrying this as soon as my holster arrives this week.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:42 pm 
Bearcat

I put about 350 downrange with mine before I started to carry. The reason for the delay was the permit getting to me in the mail. Since I received my permit I have only carried my SR9C and feel very comfortable that it is reliable and will do what I need it to do when I activate the bang switch.

NRA Member
I have a gun and Bible. I use BOTH often.
Fortes fortuna juvat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:38 pm 
Buckeye

I gave my 9c 300 rounds then another 40 of carry ammo before I started to carry it. Only took about a week to accomplish that 8)

NRA | CCW

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:48 am 
Single-Sixer

I've had great success with my Rugers....
No issues, even with taking them brand new, un-cleaned, to the range to shoot. :shock:
But running some rounds (XXX number) through any firearm is a smart thing to do, if only to learn how it feels/reacts.

Lateck,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:49 am 
Single-Sixer

Lateck wrote:
I've had great success with my Rugers....
No issues, even with taking them brand new, un-cleaned, to the range to shoot. :shock:
But running some rounds (XXX number) through any firearm is a smart thing to do, if only to learn how it feels/reacts.

Lateck,

Agree!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:13 pm 
Bearcat

I put 150 trouble free rounds through mine Saturday, when I picked it up. I will put another 110 rounds through it hopefully tomorrow before work. 10 are reloads to see if I can get Ramshot Zip to give me enough oomph to cycle the gun. If not I will have to switch powders. Should work.

I don't have a holster yet, waiting on one to come (sometime mid-week) but I want 300 or so rounds without trouble before I carry.