SR 22 vs S&W M&P 22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

luvallmyrugerz

Bearcat
I'm currently considering these two pistols as my next choice for a small .22. Really love the feel of the little Ruger as compared to the M&P. My local gun shop is using the M&P for all their concealed carry classes( they furnish the gun and the ammo for those who need a weapon). In talking to them they said they used to use Walthers but were having some reliability issues so changed to the M&P's. They have been great. I guess my plan is to have it as a knockaroundtype weapon. I already have a Ruger Mark III for use as a range gun. Any input from those who have or have used both would be appreciated.

steelhawk

Bearcat
It depends on how the gun feels. I wanted to get the M&P because my wife has a full size 9mm version and it would help her practice, but it doesn't come with the adjustable backstrap and so was too big for her hand. The Ruger, on the other hand, fit great, so it got purchased.

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
I have two of the SR22Ps and really like them. Have not had a chance to handle the Smith & Wesson to compare it. Smiths are usually good guns. This should be an interesting thread if someone has handled both.

I was at my LGS on Saturday and I listened to one of the salesmen state that he would not sell a customer a Walther .22 because it was not a good gun; i.e. jam-o-matic. Which is what I have consistently heard about it.

Sham22

Bearcat
I've had the chance to shoot both and I must say I really liked everything about the M&P 22. From the looks, the feel and overall finish. And for me its more accurate as well. I was disappointed that the SR22 looked nothing like the SR series...and whats with the upside down manual safety? I also like that the M&P is a full size gun but that's subjective. Both shot well with no issues. I have heard that the M&P is particular about ammo but wasn't the case as it ate Federal, Winchester bulk and CCI without any hangups. The M&P comes with one 12 round magazine. That's my only gripe about it though. But still the obvious choice for me.

teknobailey

Bearcat
I own the M&P22, and my good friend owns the SR22, so I've shot hundreds through both guns. One VERY distinct difference is the size. The M&P is the same size as the M&P9/40 so it's SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the SR22. If you're looking for a "small" gun as you noted above, then the SR22 will be a winner. I also used to own a Walther P22 (that literally blew up on me) but is similar in size to the SR22. They're both pretty small.

From a shootability/reliability standpoint, I've got to give the advantage to the SR22. It will feed anything, even bulk ammo. The M&P seems to be a bit more picky, although I shoot nothing but CCI Mini-Mags anyhow, so I have no issues.

In summary, it comes down to size... small gun, get the SR, bigger gun, get the M&P. Both are awesome.

Cheers

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
I know the subject is Ruger vs S&W but let me suggest you try one other "small" 22 and two to totally avoid. Avoid the Beretta Bobcat (after a year of trying to make it right, gave up) and the Taurus PT22 (after a year got it shooting right, but without confidence). Do try the Bersa Thunder 22 with CCI Blazers only. I've shot hundreds and hundreds of round though mine without problems.

eveled

Hawkeye
for the record my Beretta has been awesome. Very very reliable but also very small. Not really a range gun, but a good pocket gun. Ed

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I won't buy any 22 that won't handle all types of cheap bulk ammo.

My 22s are for cheap plinking, not precise work requiring premium ammo.

ECUfan

Bearcat
I had my kids out yesterday shooting the SR22. It is a great size for them. I like the feel as well. I did have trouble with the Winchester bulk ammo from Wal-Mart. I used CCI yesterday and it was great in the SR22.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Sham22 said:
and whats with the upside down manual safety?
The SR 22's safety is also a decocker and probably can't be made to operate like those on the 1911 or SR9/40 series. Remember, all of Ruger's P-series autos also had "upside down" safetys.

jerrb

Bearcat
I have put 5200 rounds through my M&P 22. Had a few ftfs with bulk at first but after running a hundred CCI mini mags, it now fires anything. I've used Walmart Federal 550 bulk and Federal 550 champion bulk with no problems. Heartily recommend this piece.

bartman

Bearcat
Check S&Ws website and i believe you will read where Walther makes S&Ws .22 M&P's. I've never shot the M&P but i have shot the sr22 (Federal 550 champion bulk) and it is a sweet .22. I did not encounter any issues and I liked it so much I bought one for my wife w/laser from Buds Guns. Which btw, I saw it for $25 less at Kentucky Guns.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I have never shot the M&P 22 but i have been shooting the SR22p for a year and it has went threw 2500 rounds of every type of ammo that i could find, and it performs flawlessly with any ammo. They are accurate, reliable and a lot of fun to shoot, it is a fabulous little pistol for the price.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
The better comparison would be the Ruger SR22 and the Walther P-22 as those are closer in size and feel. The P-22 had a very troubled launch, the original magazines were terrible and the slides had several issues that required some re-engineering on the part of Walther. I still have yet to see a P-22 that will feed and fire the range of bulk .22 ammo that a SR-22 will fire.

The M&P 22 is a larger gun, service pistol sized, made to look like an M&P but the internals are completely different as it fires from an internal hammer and is not striker fired. I would be interested in it's reliability with a range of bulk stuff.

I have a CZ Kadet .22 pistol that is exactly like a CZ 75, in feel and weight and the controls are in the same place. It is a CZ 75 with just a different slide and barrel arrangement. I like shooting it, it's very accurate but it likes CCI Minimags and other high quality .22 ammo, my SR-22 shoots just about everything there is.

mrlizzzard

Bearcat
I shoot the M&P about everyday.I have not shot the SR but have handled it in the lgs.I found the M&P on sale for $299 and bought it.Zero issues but my 6" Neos shoots well also.Both eazy to clean and under $300 and USA made.Of the 2 I like the M&P better.The reason I bought M&P it felt better.I am sure SR is a fine piece also.

mrlizzzard

MikeWyatt

Bearcat
I own a S&W MP22- bought it because it was a service-sized pistol and I wanted my wife to be somewhat familiar because I also have a Ruger P95- same size but opposite safety (up is "safe" on the S&W).

The MP22 was a problem w/ FTE's from day 1. I had been warned, so I tried "hi-velocity" Federals, and some others- no success with any of them. I tried CCI Velocitors- and they worked 100%.

This is a sweet-shooting gun and I really want it to work. So I keep trying different ammo, before I will eventually send it back to S&W. I don't think I should HAVE to use premium ammo to shoot a .22.

But, you can't beat a P-95.

MikeWyatt

Bearcat
Update: I continued to shoot the M&P 22. Once a few hundred higher velocity rounds were fired, it now shoots anything.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
I absolutely love my SR22. I have a few close friends who have them as well and everyone is extremely pleased with theirs. Accuracy is outstanding, with the sights being dead on right out of the box, even out to 60 yards or so.

I have a very close friend who now has thousands upon thousands of round through his. Last I heard, he hadn't cleaned it yet and it still functions flawlessly.

It is the right size for a small compact 22, fits my hand well and fits in my coat pocket when I take the dog outside for a walk in the woods. Not to mention that holster maker extraordinaire Rob Leahy, of Simply Rugged, makes a great belt rig for it!!

BB45C