Issue with brand new Ruger SR9C

Help Support Ruger Forum:

beason

Bearcat
I just bought this handgun last weekend for my Fiance to use at the range with me. She loves the skinny grip, and it fits her small hands well.
We went and purchased some Remington 9mm luger ammo and headed out for a range day today.

I am having an issue with the larger extended mag feeding correctly. We ran about 4 mags full through it, and each one had at least one, and most multiple feed errors. On all of them, the small pin that is supposed to catch the edge of the brass to feed it, missed and wedged in the groove. I hope that makes sense.

I also had one "stove pipe", and it was a deep one, the brass wasnt even close to making it out of the slide.

We then switched to the shorter 12 round mag, and finished the 100rds without one single issue.

However, i could only get 10rds to go in the mag, even with the supplied loader.

I assume the issue has to do with the mag, and not the gun. Is this a typical "new gun break-in" issue? or do i need to send the mag back to ruger? The guy at the range said to try it with half the rounds in the large mag, but it jammed a few times on the last 5 or so rounds.

I am no gun pro, but ive owned a few, and do a lot of reading. I have a M&P 9mm that is also brand new, and i shot the same ammo through it with no issues.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Volusianator

Bearcat
beason said:
We then switched to the shorter 12 round mag, and finished the 100rds without one single issue.

However, i could only get 10rds to go in the mag, even with the supplied loader.

That's because it's a 10 round mag.

beason

Bearcat
Volusianator said:
beason said:

That's because it's a 10 round mag.

Yea, I just checked it and it is a 10 rounder. I was thinking about my m&p that came with a 12rnd and a 17rnd mag. That was my fault.

gfw1985

Bearcat
First outing with mine, I had feed problems with the first two mags(10 and 17) After that, no more issues with two diff brands of ammo. Most of the reviews I've read had the same issue, quickly straightened out.

beason

Bearcat
gfw1985 said:
First outing with mine, I had feed problems with the first two mags(10 and 17) After that, no more issues with two diff brands of ammo. Most of the reviews I've read had the same issue, quickly straightened out.

So in your opinion, it is a break in issue, and should clear up after some time?

gfw1985

Bearcat
Sure not an expert, but everything I've read says yes. That and a good cleaning to get the factory shipping lube out. Cured mine.

beason

Bearcat
I saw all the grease, but I was informed to not clean the gun for like 500 rounds or so, to let the break in process work. I will do some research on here and see what I find. Thanks

Cubby

Single-Sixer
The first time out with mine, I had one FTE on the third round in the first magazine through it. After that no problems. I ran WWB, Magtech 124 JHP, Black Hills 124 FMJ and Remington 124 +P Golden Sabers. Not a single problem except for that one round. That round was a WWB...

I used two ten round and one seventeen round mag's in my range shooting.

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
First time out of the box with mine, no cleaning, no oil I got 100 rounds fired with no hang-up what so ever.....both mags
Hopefully you get it going without anymore issues.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
beason said:
I saw all the grease, but I was informed to not clean the gun for like 500 rounds or so, to let the break in process work. I will do some research on here and see what I find. Thanks

Not what I'd do. I treat factory "grease" as being there for shipping and to prevent corrosion during storage (while the gun waits for someone to buy it.). Recommend fields strip and clean. Also remover the striker and clean the striker tunnel.

Do that last every 100-200 rounds and check for brass shavings as the extracto breaks in. At some point around 500 rds, the brass sahving in the striker tunnel will stop. After that, I clean the striker tunnel every 1000 rds or so.

As to magazines, I store them fully loaded as soon as I bring a new gun home from the store. It can take a week or so for the mag springs to adjust, and they most likely will.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
beason said:

Like Iron said, I'd really advise you not to do this with this particular firearm having been through the break in myself with the SR. I have heard the suggestion that your mentioning about just leaving it alone and running it until it breaks in.

Maybe that's how it works with other pistols but just friendly advice clean it very well first, and lube it. Starting with a clean and oiled gun will not adversely affect your SR break in process.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I thoroughly cleaned mine prior to taking it to the range the first time. This seems to be the overwhelming consensus. I had only two stovepipes during the first couple mags. This was strictly due to my limp wristing it that day. No problems at all since.

I have heard reports that some of the weapons have had some metal shavings mixed in with the grease. I would never run mine with metal shavings mixed in the lubricant.

joejodus

Bearcat
when I got mine i cleaned it very well and lightly oiled it, I only had 1 fte within the break in period after that its been 100%

beason

Bearcat
So the general is to clean out the grease and lube it up. Then try again? do i need to load that mag and let it sit a few days to relax the spring?

Any other idea?

beason

Bearcat
Sorry I don't know how I missed that long detailed post. Thanks for that info. I'll do what you suggest

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
beason,

I don't wait on mags springs before shooting. I do tend to shoot lots of 5 round groups during break-in and load development, so that may be why I never noticed any problems with my mags when my SR9c was new. I often go to the range a few days after getting a new gun, anyways.

If mags gave me problems after having had a couple of weeks' time sitting fully loaded, then I'd be looking into that.

I give a gun up to 500 rounds before I start worrying about accuracy, feeding issues, ejection issues, etc.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
As to the mag problem, I would try leaving the maq fully loaded for a week or so. If that doesn't straighten it out send it back to Ruger and they should replace it. As to the stovepipes, the SR9c recoil spring is really strong when the gun is new, and of course the gun hasn't broken in yet. I would give it a good cleaning and oil it and try to run a couple hundred rounds through it. If Fiocchi ammo is available you may want to give that a try as it is more energetic than most.

beason

Bearcat
ok, so i loaded up both mags last night, and put the extended mag in the gun. I will let them sit until this weekend. I will also do a field strip and clean out the grease. before the next range trip. Someone said i should also clean out the fire pin tube?

thanks in advance for all the info.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Yes, remove the striker and clean it and the tunnel. Reassemble without lube.

Take your cleaning gear to the range if you're gonna shoot more than 100 rds. Repeat the strike cleaning after your next 100 rds. Look for small bits of brass. Repeat the cleaning of the striker and its tunnel every 100 rds until the brass stops showing up. Once the extractor gets broken in, the brass bits will stop accumulating in the tunnel.

You might lock your slide to the rear until you go to the range next. That will help with the recoil spring break-in, too.

beason

Bearcat
Iron Mike Golf said:
Yes, remove the striker and clean it and the tunnel. Reassemble without lube.

Take your cleaning gear to the range if you're gonna shoot more than 100 rds. Repeat the strike cleaning after your next 100 rds. Look for small bits of brass. Repeat the cleaning of the striker and its tunnel every 100 rds until the brass stops showing up. Once the extractor gets broken in, the brass bits will stop accumulating in the tunnel.

You might lock your slide to the rear until you go to the range next. That will help with the recoil spring break-in, too.

we only shoot 100rds each trip normally, but i will keep that in mind if we take more ammo.

great idea on locking the slide back. I will do that! I think this may be the main issue the spring is to stiff to let the slide go all the way back.

Latest posts