Trigger not resetting all the time on SR9C.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rlamppa1

Bearcat
I have had this pistol for a couple of months now. Probably have 300 rounds through it. Never had a light strike of misfeed. The problem is that the trigger does not aways come back forward into the fire position. The slide comes back and chambers a new round. I have to physically pull the trigger back forward. It does this about every 10th round. I have taken it completely apart and cleaned all the factory grease from it and lightly oiled it. Has anyone else had such a problem. Just makes me a little nervous to carry it, if it is not 100% reliable. Thanks alot.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
Had to send mine back to Ruger when it was new. They fixed mine 2,000+ rounds later, no problems. It only would hang up with the 17 rd mag. They replaced the slide and other misc parts that I can't recall and shot it then sent it back to me.

weiss27md

Bearcat
I had the same problem but seemed to fix it myself. Try taking the gun completely apart and cleaning it good. I polished all contact parts with a silicone rag, like the trigger bar and where it rubs against the polymer frame. Also polish the sides of the trigger and trigger housing. I've had no problems since doing all this.

jhearne

Buckeye
Sometimes a good thorough cleaning can take care of it. If that doesn't help, definitely give Ruger a call.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
Sometimes a good thorough cleaning can take care of it. If that doesn't help, definitely give Ruger a call.

Josh

PlaythruChazfar

Bearcat
Not related to your problem but I was getting jams and misfires with my sr9c but after a good cleaning the problem stopped so it cannot hurt.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I have to wonder, when this happens is the gun also failing to recock the striker? If so I wonder if something is wrong with the ejector as this part lowers the sear (or whatever its called) when you field strip it.

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
When my SR40c was doing it everything but the trigger returned to the forward position, and when it did do it you could push the trigger forward with your finger to reset it all the way and then shoot again. It would not do it all of the time.

Matt

exavid

Hunter
Reset failure on the SR9, 9c, 40 and 40c guns can be caused by the trigger bar rubbing on the frame. Take a look on Ghost's website at the installation instructions for the Rocket or Ultimate trigger bars. They mention adjusting the bend in the bottom of the bar and to look for rubbing on the frame. What they say there will also apply to the OEM bar. It doesn't take much drag to prevent resetting the trigger.

rlamppa1

Bearcat
Just want to give a follow up to my initial problem. I sent the pistol back to Ruger. I got it back 2 weeks later, which I thought was pretty good turnaround. They ended up replacing the trigger bar reset. Finally had the time to go to the range and try it this weekend. It worked perfectly for the 150 rounds put through it. The trigger itself even feels much smoother and a lighter pull. I now feel I have the pistol I was looking for. A big thank you to the guys at Ruger for fixing it.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
cluznar, I have a real problem- personally- with how to clean the trigger group, without taking it apart. But wouldn't dropping RemOil in there attract gunk? I have never put anything in there but quick-drying spray cleaner.
Not criticizing, only asking. Fixing to clean it right now, been 3 range trips since I did, normal routine.

sabatorious

Bearcat
FergusonTO35 said:
I have to wonder, when this happens is the gun also failing to recock the striker? If so I wonder if something is wrong with the ejector as this part lowers the sear (or whatever its called) when you field strip it.

FergusonTO35, I happen to have the problem you have described where the striker is not recocked. I also get the small dimple on the primer even though I did not (could not in fact) pull the trigger since it does not reset. I am puzzled by this, and have cleaned and reoiled a couple times now. For me this most often happens on the last round of the magazine, whether the 17 mag or the 10 round mag. The most logical explanation is that the slide is not going back far enough to cock the striker and that the striker comes back forward to hit the primer of the chambered bullet. This leaves me unable to shoot the round.

I'm considering sending it back to Ruger to have them take a look. I've also noticed that the top left, back corner of the magazine seems to be wearing on both of my magazines. I'm not sure if this is normal, as this is my first handgun. See pictures below - maybe this is related to the striker/trigger problem?

mag%20rub3.jpg

mag%20rub2.jpg

mag%20rub1.jpg

PiratePast40

Single-Sixer
Looking at the pictures, there's definately a problem. Send the pictures to Ruger and they'll decide what needs to be done.

By the way, great pictures, but next time see if a lower resolution will still show the detail when posting :) .

sabatorious

Bearcat
PiratePast40 said:
Looking at the pictures, there's definately a problem. Send the pictures to Ruger and they'll decide what needs to be done.

By the way, great pictures, but next time see if a lower resolution will still show the detail when posting :) .

Thanks, PiratePast40. I am going to take it to Gander Mountain where I bought it and have the pistolsmith take a look. They will likely send it in to Ruger directly. And next time I'll be sure to shrink the resolution on my pictures, didn't realize that the cropped portion that I kept from the picture would be so large. I guess that's what comes from shooting a 20MP picture :D

sabatorious

Bearcat
RobbyRotten said:
The wear on the rear corner of the magazine is probably from the magazine disconnect. Try lubing the mag disconnect on the surface that contacts the mag. Although, mine still showed some wearing even though I kept it well lubed.

Thanks for the tip, if I don't send it in immediately I will try lubing that edge and see if it makes a difference on the range.