SR9 Trigger Pull

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
About 45 pounds ... :D Nah ... it only FEELS that heavy .... 6 lbs +/-.

From Wiki.

Due to safety concerns, the moderately long and heavy trigger pull of this type is seen as ideal for law enforcement and self-defensive applications. The SR9 and SR9c have an identical trigger group. Gunblast rated both the SR9 and SR9c examples it tested with a factory trigger rearward travel at 9.5 mm (0.37 in). Gunblast rated its SR9 example with and trigger pull of 30 N (6.7 lbf), and Gunblast rated its SR9c example with a trigger pull of 23 N (5.2 lbf). Gunblasts SR40 example was rated with a trigger pull of 29.5 N (6.6 lbf). The difference in trigger-pull is due to variances between individual guns not due to a change in specs by Ruger between the models. The trigger travel is 7.8 mm (0.31 in).

REV

Wow Rev. Ya beat me.

Gunblast rated both the SR9 and SR9c examples it tested with a factory trigger rearward travel at 9.5 mm (0.37 in). Gunblast rated its SR9 example with and trigger pull of 30 N (6.7 lbf), and Gunblast rated its SR9c example with a trigger pull of 23 N (5.2 lbf). Gunblasts SR40 example was rated with a trigger pull of 29.5 N (6.6 lbf). The difference in trigger-pull is due to variances between individual guns not due to a change in specs by Ruger between the models

Lotsa difference between the triggers on otherwise identical specimens. What I've read on this forum is mostly very critical of the SR9 triggers, while at the same time my SR9 has a trigger that is so smooth and nice that I think it should be heavier, for the guns intended purpose.

WAYNO.

haymaker

Single-Sixer
I like a somewhat heavy trigger on a carry gun. I've always liked shooting DA revolvers and DA/SA autos. I have an XD .45 compact and the trigger doesn't seem too light but I'm still trying to get used to carrying it loaded. I'm still looking for a compact 9mm but haven't had a chance to try any.

Mister G

Bearcat
I also would like to see either a little longer pull or heavier trigger on my SR40C.....just seems ot frie too quickly especially on the first round but I'm getting used to it

Mister G

Bearcat
I also would like to see either a little longer pull or heavier trigger on my SR40C.....just seems ot frie too quickly especially on the first round but I'm getting used to it

just1more

Bearcat
Hi, I'm pretty new at this blog stuff, so please, bear with me.
I just picked up my SR9 from the gunsmith after installing a Ghost Rocket trigger connecter. I haven't even shot it yet because it is 19 degrees and 15 MPH winds. But I did dry fire it and could not believe the difference.
I may have to load up and couple of magazines and just blast them into the snow. Any way, when I dry fired it, the striker fell just as the trigger moved and with a lot less pressure than before.
After much reading, I realized that not everyone that tried this connecter was talking about the same one. Their are 3 models, and each is a little different. The best description I found was on the Brownell site.
I will write again when I have fired it. It may be today if I get warmed up.

boltons75

Single-Sixer
just1more said:
Hi, I'm pretty new at this blog stuff, so please, bear with me.
I just picked up my SR9 from the gunsmith after installing a Ghost Rocket trigger connecter. I haven't even shot it yet because it is 19 degrees and 15 MPH winds. But I did dry fire it and could not believe the difference.
I may have to load up and couple of magazines and just blast them into the snow. Any way, when I dry fired it, the striker fell just as the trigger moved and with a lot less pressure than before.
After much reading, I realized that not everyone that tried this connecter was talking about the same one. Their are 3 models, and each is a little different. The best description I found was on the Brownell site.
I will write again when I have fired it. It may be today if I get warmed up.

I too have the ghost rocket, installed myself, along with about everything Eric Galloway offers for this gun, and polished all mating surfaces, and that made one smooth awesome trigger. It's my daily carry gun, and having a smooth trigger doesn't bother me one bit. In fact, I prefer it that way. Now if I was carrying a 380 in my pocket with no holster, then I would want the heavier trigger.

martyj

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
About 45 pounds ... :D Nah ... it only FEELS that heavy .... 6 lbs +/-.REV

And about an inch travel it seems. Only shoot these with your off hand so you dont ruin your trigger finger for rifle shooting.
Had to laugh at that Rev. Just about spit my coffee out on the monitor.
Wasn't laughing when I picked one up to try though.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Try the trigger on a S&W Sigma. The reason the police tossed them aside is it took 2 cops to pull the trigger.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Mister G said:

Talk to Eric at Galloway,
http://www.gallowayprecision.com/sr9andsr40parts.html
He has a heavy striker spring that will increase the trigger pull ,and some other custom trigger control parts that will help you tune your trigger just to your liking.
Sal

jtelander

Bearcat
boltons75 said:
I too have the ghost rocket, installed myself, along with about everything Eric Galloway offers for this gun, and polished all mating surfaces, and that made one smooth awesome trigger. It's my daily carry gun, and having a smooth trigger doesn't bother me one bit.

I'm a new owner of an early generation SR9 and would like it to be smoother with slightly less pull weight. I'm trying to sort out the various options offered by Galloway and Ghost and whether they compliment each other or if they are competitors.

Also, I'm not particularly interested in doing any of the installation of these parts myself, especially those parts that require fitting. Is this something any gunsmith can readily do, or is it something they might botch?

I'd appreciate some input, suggestions and any experiences folks can offer.

Thanks

Jeff
Durham, NC

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
any competent gunsmith should have no trouble with the install. many of us have done it ourselves with positive results. a little polish doesn't hurt either. that will smooth the trigger up pretty well.

jtelander

Bearcat
I'm also wondering if I might be better off to trade in my version of the SR9 (with the round mag release button) for the newer version and pay the difference rather than paying for the trigger kits and the labor charge at the gunsmith.

Absolutely sell it or try to trade it .... Or sell it here, and then buy a new one. On a trade you'll likely get killed.

Good luck.

REV

Latest posts