Aluminum Striker Indicator Installation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nworker

Bearcat
Are there any step by step or videos on how to install an Aluminum Striker Indicator.

I appologize if there is one on the forum but I can't seem to find one.

Thanks.

Verndog

Blackhawk
nworker said:
Are there any step by step or videos on how to install an Aluminum Striker Indicator.

Thanks.

I haven't seen any but it's just a matter of removing the striker then taping the 1 roll pin out to take it apart. You'll want a couple extra roll pins JIC. The trick is getting back together and holding everything in line to tap pin back thru. You want to partially tap the pin thru the outer part first so you don't have to try to hold the pin, both parts and tap with hammer all with 2 hands. You'll see once you get there.

jhearne

Buckeye
Not that I'm aware of. The best thing you can do is find a vise with some soft jaws, then orient the striker where you can drive that pin out. Careful when you do, some parts may fly out.

Driving roll pins without a vise is fun to say the least.

Josh

Verndog

Blackhawk
nworker said:
Vice is a good idea. thanks much

Thanks for the instructions VernDog

Problem with a vise is it's tough to grab it hard enough and drive the pin out without movement without risking damage.. I used a machinist v-block that is a metal fixture with a V shape notch and when you drive the pin out your pounding into solid material. You could saw a V groove into a piece of hardwood and accomplish the same thing.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Verndog said:
nworker said:

Thanks.

I haven't seen any but it's just a matter of removing the striker then taping the 1 roll pin out to take it apart. You'll want a couple extra roll pins JIC. The trick is getting back together and holding everything in line to tap pin back thru. You want to partially tap the pin thru the outer part first so you don't have to try to hold the pin, both parts and tap with hammer all with 2 hands. You'll see once you get there.

That is the method that I recently used. It takes a little patience, but it can be done.

I have been firing a lot of CCI ammo, notorious for hard primers. To minimize problems, I installed the beefier striker springs and new roll pins from Galloway for my SR9c and SR40. I want to make sure that I get a good hit on the primers.

Verndog, I believe that I am following your advice about hard CCI primers and SR striker springs. Thanks for the tip.

Good luck,
YMMV,

boomer 8)