RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:48 pm 
Bearcat

Are there any step by step or videos on how to install an Aluminum Striker Indicator.

I appologize if there is one on the forum but I can't seem to find one.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:10 pm 
Buckeye

nworker wrote:
Are there any step by step or videos on how to install an Aluminum Striker Indicator.

Thanks.

I haven't seen any but it's just a matter of removing the striker then taping the 1 roll pin out to take it apart. You'll want a couple extra roll pins JIC. The trick is getting back together and holding everything in line to tap pin back thru. You want to partially tap the pin thru the outer part first so you don't have to try to hold the pin, both parts and tap with hammer all with 2 hands. You'll see once you get there.

NRA | CCW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:37 am 
Hunter

Not that I'm aware of. The best thing you can do is find a vise with some soft jaws, then orient the striker where you can drive that pin out. Careful when you do, some parts may fly out.

Driving roll pins without a vise is fun to say the least.

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:46 am 
Bearcat

Vice is a good idea. thanks much

Thanks for the instructions VernDog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:44 am 
Buckeye

nworker wrote:
Vice is a good idea. thanks much

Thanks for the instructions VernDog

Problem with a vise is it's tough to grab it hard enough and drive the pin out without movement without risking damage.. I used a machinist v-block that is a metal fixture with a V shape notch and when you drive the pin out your pounding into solid material. You could saw a V groove into a piece of hardwood and accomplish the same thing.

NRA | CCW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:56 am 
Single-Sixer

Verndog wrote:
nworker wrote:

Thanks.

I haven't seen any but it's just a matter of removing the striker then taping the 1 roll pin out to take it apart. You'll want a couple extra roll pins JIC. The trick is getting back together and holding everything in line to tap pin back thru. You want to partially tap the pin thru the outer part first so you don't have to try to hold the pin, both parts and tap with hammer all with 2 hands. You'll see once you get there.

That is the method that I recently used. It takes a little patience, but it can be done.

I have been firing a lot of CCI ammo, notorious for hard primers. To minimize problems, I installed the beefier striker springs and new roll pins from Galloway for my SR9c and SR40. I want to make sure that I get a good hit on the primers.

Verndog, I believe that I am following your advice about hard CCI primers and SR striker springs. Thanks for the tip.

Good luck,
YMMV,

boomer 8)