Torture test of an SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fixer

Bearcat
A brief range report that include some torture testing. Overall results were fairly good.

My sr9 has about 900 rounds through it with no issues other that a dud striker right out of the box.

I was out in some very dusty and windy conditions.

I accidentally dropped the SR9 into some baby powder like dust. It was almost submerged in a fine dirt/dust.

So I picked it up, loaded a round from a full magazine and proceeded to fire.

The first round fired fine.

The second round, no dice. I ejected the round.

Third round fired.

Fourth, no fire. I ejected the round.

The rest of the magazine fired. The trigger pull was about 11 lbs. It felt like an HK.

After firing the full mag, I worked the slide. It took serious effort and would lock back on its own periodically. Some times it wouldn't go into battery with out a tap on the rear. I think maybe the fail to fires were due to not returning to battery.

The internals were horrendously dirty.

I put some oil on the rails and the slide lossened up a bit and didn't lock on its own quite as much.

I later cleaned the SR9 with windex (all that I had). I drenched the slide, and frame. I sprayed it in every nook and cranny. I cleaned up the barrel in and out. I air dried the gun.

I put the gun back together with some light lube Glock style.

Trigger pull felt normal. Slide action effort felt normal.

I loaded some cheap winchester hollow points into the mag.

It fired 15 rounds without issue.

I later fired the ejected rounds without issue.

Some folks don't think too knindly of torture testing. An equal number of folks do. Take the post as a data point.

I consider the results to indicate the SR9 is above average in withstanding abnormal levels of abuse.

I had two failures to fire that I'm certain were due to the slide not being in full battery.

With the incredibly fine soil that the gun was dropped into, I suspect any gun would have had issues.

This gun has also served time as our bathroom gun. It has been left in extremely high humidity for months. It has even had water dripped on it from a leaky faucet.

I fired 850 rounds after the striker was replaced. Mag after mag after mag...rapid fire.

The SR9 is a stout little bugger. It often gets overlooked in the mix of polymers in the market.

It has low recoil and is very accurate. It fits into most G17 holsters and is notciably thinner in carrying.

Thanks for reading.

I may try to torture test this gun more.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
fixer said:
A brief range report that include some torture testing. Overall results were fairly good.

My sr9 has about 900 rounds through it with no issues other that a dud striker right out of the box.

I was out in some very dusty and windy conditions.

I accidentally dropped the SR9 into some baby powder like dust. It was almost submerged in a fine dirt/dust.

The internals were horrendously dirty.

I put some oil on the rails and the slide lossened up a bit and didn't lock on its own quite as much.

I consider the results to indicate the SR9 is above average in withstanding abnormal levels of abuse.

The only way you could come to that conclusion would be to "test" other pistols in the same way. Above average compared to what?

fixer said:
With the incredibly fine soil that the gun was dropped into, I suspect any gun would have had issues.

This gun has also served time as our bathroom gun. It has been left in extremely high humidity for months. It has even had water dripped on it from a leaky faucet

I may try to torture test this gun more.

Why? Seriously, why subject the pistol to more unnecessary and damaging wear?

Latest posts