Holographic Red Dot Sight mount for SR40

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gulf979cb

Bearcat
Any body have one mounted on their SR40??

I am looking for a mount for one of these types of sights .... it says weaver style mount... I have been looking high and low and i cannot find a weaver style mount for these types of pistols...

I figured it would be a simple rear sight removal with a flat plate installed in it's place?? Am i correct in this assumption??
If you people can point me in the right direction such as links or pics.. and advice.. i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks...

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
How about something like this.

sr40racegun.jpg

Josh Hearne will be recieveing the mount and optic shortly for a review now that I have had time to wring it out.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a holographic sight and what does it do? Can you take a picure looking down the sight and show us what it looks like? It looks like it sits very high on the gun, so that makes me wonder how it works with the front sight. Lots of questions... I really never heard of this before so I am interested in learning more.

gulf979cb

Bearcat
Egalloway:

That look exactly what i was talking about.
I take it ... it just sits in the rear sights dove-tail ??

I'm curious to hear about the review.. and if it affects the normal operation of the action and reliability.

FritztheCat

Bearcat
Big Stu,

They project a holographic reticle at some distance from the light source. The front sight is not used.

Egalloway,

The slide on a semi-auto pistol lives a somewhat violent life. What kind of life expectancy do the electronics have in this environment and does it maintain zero?

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Big Stu said:
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a holographic sight and what does it do? Can you take a picure looking down the sight and show us what it looks like? It looks like it sits very high on the gun, so that makes me wonder how it works with the front sight. Lots of questions... I really never heard of this before so I am interested in learning more.

Big Stu,

Here are two links that should give you an idea of the view from a holographic sight.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/buck-mark-holographic-sight-sight-options_lo.jpg

http://emptormaven.com/img/EOTech512reticle-.jpg

For me, because the holographic sight doesn't have the depth of a scope, it is much quicker to acquire an image. It also is a less bulky device sitting on top of a firearm.

I have used one, but don't own one. I am looking into one to try out on one of my PC4's.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
FritztheCat said:
Big Stu,

They project a holographic reticle at some distance from the light source. The front sight is not used.

Egalloway,

The slide on a semi-auto pistol lives a somewhat violent life. What kind of life expectancy do the electronics have in this environment and does it maintain zero?

I looked a a couple of these sights thanks to a link provided by Wixedmords, and they do look pretty cool. How do they compensate for distance though?

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Oy. No interest in that at all. I use my SR9 for CCW and IDPA, but I wouldn't think of using it beyond that type of competition. A race gun it is not, no matter how much stuff you tack onto it.

Except for the mag disconnect, it's excellent for IDPA, but I can't see it coming close to the big boys for race guns.

-JT

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
gulf979cb said:
Egalloway:
That look exactly what i was talking about.
I take it ... it just sits in the rear sights dove-tail ??
I'm curious to hear about the review.. and if it affects the normal operation of the action and reliability.

Glad you like it, it works beautifully on the SR40 pictured here. This mount is as low as you can get it without modifing the slide. It uses a stock Glock Jpoint mount that slides into my mount that uses your factory rear sight dovetail. I'll try to get a video uploaded and linked on here. The modern miniture optics like these are awesome and EXTREMELY durable. They aren't heavy enough to induce failures. This unit is an older Jpoint. The dot is fuzzy but it works great. I can hit a 6 inch steel plate quick and double up on a 12 inch plate at 50 yards no problem. Once you get used to the ammo drop it's crazy easy to ring steel IDPA size targets at 100.

FritztheCat said:
Big Stu,
Egalloway,

The older models may have had issues in this style of mount but anything made in the last 10 years will have no problems. Guys have been using these for even longer but I haven't considered them anything more than IPSC or range toys till the last 10. This one has seen who knows how many rounds through my glock and 930spx. Now this 40. Zero problems, and it holds zero perfectly. The best on the market is the Trijcon RMR but at almost 600 bucks it's out of most of our price range. You get what you pay for and the Jpoint costs less than half the RMR. The RMR is combat proven here and overseas. The Jpoint is the original granddaddy model, dots are generally fuzzy but work fine for most of us. I carried my G19 for 6 months in a modified Dale Fricke Archangel with this Jpoint mounted. Never failed to perform, never fogged, never experience a dead battery. Could pull and ring the 50 yard steel on demand from concealment everytime once I got used to the different presentation.

jhearne said:
Looking forward to testing it Eric, any idea on an ETA?
Josh

Hey Josh, I'll ship it tomorrow. Email your address again please. Thanks for doing a review for the folks here.

For the question about distance you just paint the target with the dot and shoot. Inside 25 yards it hits normal, but of course the hole will be about inch low. At 50 yards dot above top edge on 9mm, should ring center on a 6 inch plate. At 100 dot above by about a dot diameter for full size target. I'm over simplifing this but you get the picture. It all depends on bullet diameter/weight and pressure charge and of course the MOA of the dot itself. Lots to take in when you first get it set up but if you shoot alot you'll feel it out in a little time and be on your way regardless of bullet weight or brand. It's still just a 4.1 inch pistol barrel, not a rifle.
I've always shot a pistol with both eyes open, mainly cause of the short distance in handguns, these sights are a natural progression if you already shoot for speed in competition or self defense. Focus on target with both eyes open, put the dot on the target and bang.

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
willypete said:
Now that's one funky looking gun....

At least you didn't say fugly I guess. Works really well though.
Short vid

http://www.youtube.com/user/GallowayPrecision?feature=mhsn

Sorry not sure how to embed video.

gulf979cb

Bearcat
Egalloway;

Very nice set-up.... looks great... seems to run just perfect.... i need to get myself one of these....
Exactly what i was talking about and looking for.....

How is the sight?? Does it work well and stay in zero??

Keep us posted on availability...

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
i am on board!
i had one of the FastFires on my MKIII a few years back and thought it was pretty quick.
glad that you have one in the works.
i really didnt want to have my slide machined (although i would like it lower to the bore)
this is still a good compromise because it will allow me to put the original rear sight back on later if i wanted to.

will be buying one when they come out!
what MRD sights do you plan on the mounts being compatible with?
Docter, trijicon, J-Point, Burris, C-More,Leupold Deltapoint, Insight Tech. (all that i can think off off hand)

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
gulf979cb said:
Egalloway;
Very nice set-up.... looks great... seems to run just perfect.... i need to get myself one of these....
Exactly what i was talking about and looking for.....
How is the sight?? Does it work well and stay in zero??
Keep us posted on availability...

Glad to hear you like it. The gun is a garbage disposal anyways, can't choke it so it's good to go like any other SR I've dealt with. I'll keep you up to date should be relatively soon. I've got some quotes coming in from shops to produce it.
It holds zero great no problems whatsoever. Just not enough time to go shooting lately. If you have any experience with this mini optics you'll get the swing of them quick. Just put the dot on the target and have good trigger press and reset and you'll bullseye it after you zero it. It is really quick and makes long shots a breeze. I've always shot with both eyes open and so it is a easy transition to mini red dot optics for me.
If you have eye problems you'll like it even more as you can just focus on the target and not mess with front sight picture or any of the "snap" sight picture or tactical sight picture or line up the castles with the cannon on the front and blah blah. I've always shot like a gamer turned CCW/SD instructor, I preach hearts and minds, burst to the chest and burst the face while getting off the X, never been a bulls eye shooter till I got the optic and it became fun for me to hit the bulls eye fast repeatedly, can you tell? Seriously most people love them once they try them.

Gunsby_Blazen said:
i am on board!
i really didnt want to have my slide machined (although i would like it lower to the bore)
this is still a good compromise because it will allow me to put the original rear sight back on later if i wanted to.
will be buying one when they come out!
what MRD sights do you plan on the mounts being compatible with?
Docter, trijicon, J-Point, Burris, C-More,Leupold Deltapoint, Insight Tech. (all that i can think off off hand)

Not sure on a release. I've got to get a quote price wise from a couple shops to cut them. More than likely going to be a shop out of Colorado I will be using to make my Dshape mag releases. Hang on we will see. The beauty is it will work with any Glock rear sight optic mount. It replaces the rear SR sight with my part and any Glock rear sight optic mount slides into it. Still mounting as low as possible and using the cheapest optic mount around. Glock mounts seem to cost less than any other brand and lots of people own Glocks anyways. Pick an optic, pick a base and use my base to attach it.
Simple and cheap but reliable and dependable. That is why I chose the Jpoint optic for my test gun it met my requirements. The others you mentioned are fine products just had a little experience the Jpoint and already had one on hand to.

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
Egalloway said:
The beauty is it will work with any Glock rear sight optic mount. It replaces the rear SR sight with my part and any Glock rear sight optic mount slides into it. Still mounting as low as possible and using the cheapest optic mount around. Glock mounts seem to cost less than any other brand and lots of people own Glocks anyways. Pick an optic, pick a base and use my base to attach it.

Most impressive! that is a nice way of doing it. I am impressed!
as for the JP sight, yeah thats a good one. I like the Burris because it is inexpensive but the locking screws on the back are made of a soft metal that easily gets gnarled when tightening them down. any of the MRD sights are good though. I might go with the JP next time because i have an AR that needs an upper and they got a really rad upper receiver with a side charging handle.
My brother has one of their guns and it is really slick.

glad to hear you are making some slick products for the SR handguns. nobody has squat for them and you sure are coming out with all the right aftermarket parts. i was going to buy a Glock so I could customize it until you showed up on the scene.
Keep up the good work! And I hope you make lots of sales!