Threaded barrels for SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

How many of you would buy a threaded drop in SR9 barrel?

• Yes 125-150 dollar range

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Yes 150-175 dollar range

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • What about the SR40?

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
Ok so I'm getting alot of phone calls and emails about threaded barrels. I'm trying to feel out this as it is a big investment. I've got the mag extension mold being modified and a third try at the reduced striker spring for the comp trigger kit. It's critical to make quality products so I'm being very picky about all my products. I have a new site up with a new checkout that I think is much better and I can update it daily so look for changes weekly.
So what price range is fair for a threaded drop in barrel? Be realistic

Eric

Simms65

Bearcat
If it is a quality barrel $150 retail is pretty good. That's about what you can expect to pay for a Lone Wolf product, and their Glock stuff is solid.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
I personally have no want, need, or desire for a suppressor, therefore I can't think of any reason for me to need a threaded barrel. Maybe if I was an assassin or something, but not the case here. Good luck though, because I know there are lots of guys that seem to want them.

Al James

Hunter
I'b be interested in one for the SR9 and SR9c both in 1/2x28. Please keep us updated!

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
FOR those voting NO is it because you don't want one? OR because of the cost for a extra part that is already working?

Verndog

Blackhawk
I'm trying to understand the reasons these people are asking for the threaded barrel. What advantages are there besides the ability to add a silencer which IMO would be a rare request?

Egalloway said:
For those voting no is that because you don't see the need for one or you just don't want one?

I voted no because of no need, unless someone can give me a valid advantage.

jeffegg2

Bearcat
Egalloway said:
For those voting no is that because you don't see the need for one or you just don't want one?

Well, I don't see the need in something that I don't want.

Silencers are interesting, and I like to watch the youtubes, but really the bang bang is what will make the bad guy pee in his pants.... I use ear plugs at the range, much less expensive than a supresser. Also hard to conceal when that 8 inch suppresser is screwed onto the end...

Suppressers, Gawdy Assault rifles, full auto, while they certainly have that "cool" factor don't have much practical use for me.

jhearne

Buckeye
Voted no, have no need for a threaded barrel. It would be cool for sure to have a suppressed SR9, but I just don't have the need for one.

Josh

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
hmmm. not the response i expected from all the calls and emails.
The suppressor is a roit and has it's place. Compensators were more or less what I was thinking. 9mm really doesn't need it but if folks want it why not sell it. The 40 could use a comp if you load hot ammo to compete etc but really its all in the grip anyways, never felt 40 was any different than 9mm, 9mm and 40 defense ammo both have about the same mechanical recoil anyways. Cheaper solution is change the recoil spring to heavier rate. Anyways I've wondered off topic.
hmmm again.

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
I think a high quality target/match barrel might be more desirable than a threaded barrel.

Maybe a .357 sig barrel for the sr40? :D

Lateck

Single-Sixer
axisofoil said:
I think a high quality target/match barrel might be more desirable than a threaded barrel.

Maybe a .357 sig barrel for the sr40? :D

+1 & 2.
Mostly for the 357SIG barrel.
I also voted No as I have no need for a supresser (or cost).

Lateck,

Billinator

Bearcat
I gotta say No to the supressor, aren't those illegal anyway(im sure you can get a permit). But it really is impractical, unless you had the need to show it off to your friends. I had a friend that had one, and to my surprise, it still wasn't that quiet.
Now a .357 sig barrel for the sr40, now that would make me wanna go out and get a sr40, then buy the barrel too(that is unless ruger wakes up and makes a sr357!

Simms65

Bearcat
I'd say that the costs for making a threaded barrel vs a compensated barrel aren't that different. I bet for a slight cost increase over making just one type a setup for both could be created.

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
i am up for buying a new barrel in general
i cant have suppressors in in my state but a comp might be ok for now (plan on moving in a few years)

honestly i am on edge
as soon as you offer barrels i will most likely buy one but haven't decided if i would get a standard one or a threaded one

i am leaning towards threaded because i dont have any guns with threaded barrels
i would buy one.
a recoil compensator would be pretty darn neat. A thread nut would be dandy for "carry" but a compensator at the range or competition would be RAD.
I am also interested in a Mini Red Dot mount too.

the SR9 is perfect for building a competition gun for the guy with a budget

but what i am really waiting for is more of those competition trigger kits
i plan on doing a whole lot of business with you as soon as you start taking orders again.

So, I voted YES

Al James

Hunter
To the OP....I think that you would sell these barrels well. This is obviously not a class III forum based on all of the no need, no want responses posted here.

I think its worth noting that the "no need" statement is a slippery slope for us gun owners. Remember Schumer and the like stating that there is "no need" for citizens to own high cap mags because they are just for killing people! When you say that there is "no need" for something it marginalizes those who have found the need/want. As a class III owner I have a need/want for threaded Ruger barrels. Just my .02!

RMFC

Bearcat
I should've have made myself clearer by explaining that I personally do not need or want one. I do, however, recognize that some do and enough that the OP should consider making them. I have seen a few threads requesting/ asking about the availability of threaded barrels for the SR9 so there is definitely a market out there to be captured!

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
i am sure if you ask this question over at ARFCOM or a more "tactical" forum that you might get a different response.

no one has a threaded barrel for the SR9 or the SR40 so i think you would have a corner on the market.

I second AI James on his statement

i know you are testing the market for demand and i wish i could help you some more.
Single Acton Forums/the two Rugerforums/ar15.com (i think they make you pay a fee to be an "industry partner")/Brian Enos Forum are all very different places with shooters with different wants and needs in their firearms

out of the folks here, it doesn't look like there is a huge demand for them, things to consider before you commit $$$ to it.
too bad i am in the minority of people who would want one
(i would be more interested in a Match just so you know)

by the way Eric, where is your web-store located??? I cant seem to find it.

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
Al James said:
To the OP....I think that you would sell these barrels well. This is obviously not a class III forum based on all of the no need, no want responses posted here.

I think its worth noting that the "no need" statement is a slippery slope for us gun owners. Remember Schumer and the like stating that there is "no need" for citizens to own high cap mags because they are just for killing people! When you say that there is "no need" for something it marginalizes those who have found the need/want. As a class III owner I have a need/want for threaded Ruger barrels. Just my .02!

EXCELLENT point, I edited my question. Thank you and again good point. I love my suppressors!!! :)

Gunsby_Blazen said:
i am sure if you ask this question over at ARFCOM or a more "tactical" forum that you might get a different response.
no one has a threaded barrel for the SR9 or the SR40 so i think you would have a corner on the market.
I second AI James on his statement
i know you are testing the market for demand and i wish i could help you some more.
Single Acton Forums/the two Rugerforums/ar15.com (i think they make you pay a fee to be an "industry partner")/Brian Enos Forum are all very different places with shooters with different wants and needs in their firearms
out of the folks here, it doesn't look like there is a huge demand for them, things to consider before you commit $$$ to it.
too bad i am in the minority of people who would want one
(i would be more interested in a Match just so you know)

by the way Eric, where is your web-store located??? I cant seem to find it.

Excellent points too. I just want to keep the average buyer in mind and folks on here have helped me narrow my market items to things I hope to sell well but your right and I will need to look into those at some point. I think everyone should have a suppressor just for fun and to scare the teenage boys who come to date your daughter. "Hey there boy check out how quiet my gun is, could shoot in the house and no one ever know....." Just kidding. :twisted: