sr9c slide hard to release

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Hey guys new to the forum, hope this problem hasnt already been posted. Just bought a new blued sr9c and i love the way it shoots.I do seem to have one problem though, when the slide is locked back it's extremely difficult to operate the slide release. Takes just about all i can do to get it to release the slide. Way too hard to be normal imo. Has anyone else had this problem? I've shot around 150 rnds through it and the problem still exists.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
sportrider said:
Hey guys new to the forum, hope this problem hasnt already been posted. Just bought a new blued sr9c and i love the way it shoots.I do seem to have one problem though, when the slide is locked back it's extremely difficult to operate the slide release. Takes just about all i can do to get it to release the slide. Way too hard to be normal imo. Has anyone else had this problem? I've shot around 150 rnds through it and the problem still exists.

Hey sportrider, welcome to the forum and enjoy your new SR9c. I have had mine since July and love it. I thought that your issue has been discussed before, here is a recent thread that I found, using the forum search function:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=96876&highlight=sr9c+slide+lock

I hope that helps answer your question. Hopefully other forum members will also post comments. I initially thought that it was a slide release, but Ruger states in the pistol's manual, that it is a slide stop. Some folks recommend leaving the slide locked open for 24 hours to "loosen" up the guide rod springs.

Smiles,
boomer

mbresortguy

Bearcat
The difficulty with the release stems from it being a "slide lock" mechanism rather than it being a "slide release" mechanism.. note the subtle difference in terminology.. at least from all I've heard and read about it. I'm under the impression that it was designed primarily as a "lock" rather than as a "release" and is, therefore, harder to operate than it would be the other way around.

With that being said, the resistance does decrease with time; I have close to 1,000 rounds thru mine and it's just now getting to the point where I can operate the slidelock with only my thumb (it still takes more pressure than a traditional "slide release" would).

However, do understand that I am NOT a gun guru.. there are others on the forum with much more info and experience in this than me... I'm just offering this as my .02!! Hope it helps! 8)

Cheers!

Guppy

Bearcat
I polished the slide lock and slide stop notch. Both were very rough out of the box. Take care not to change the shapes of both just polish and break sharp edges. It is still a bit tough but manageable.

A

Anonymous

same problem, 300 or so rounds thru it and it's easing up some. Have talked to others that say it will loosen up more with time. Slide is hard to rack, too, and I've been leaving it locked back for a couple of days at a time, supposed to ease that process, too. Think it has helped a bit.

mbresortguy

Bearcat
Again, from what I've heard (and that being from some fairly reputable sources..) that leaving the slide back really doesn't do a whole lot for easing the spring tension, other than perhaps giving some psychosomatic relief....

The only sure way to have the gun operate as advertised is to break it in in the "normal" way... firing round after round thru it. Besides.. it's a heck of a lot more fun to shoot it to break it in than it is to leave in the cabinet with the slide locked back.... :lol:

Cheers!!

A

Anonymous

rugerfan100 said:
Why not just release the slide the way you are supposed to?

Well, pressing down on the slide lock is the proper way to release the slide. Even Ruger will attest to this. Like one other stated, I too polished the contact points of the slide lock and the slide where they meet. It is still a bit difficult to release the slide with the mechanism but far, far easier than when new.

A

Anonymous

Though I agree that shooting is a more enjoyable way to break it in, I'm not that patient. But I have time, cause SC's SLED still hasn't sent my CCP- they are taking 90 days at last report.

rugerfan100

Single-Sixer
spetch99 said:
rugerfan100 said:

Well, pressing down on the slide lock is the proper way to release the slide. Even Ruger will attest to this. Like one other stated, I too polished the contact points of the slide lock and the slide where they meet. It is still a bit difficult to release the slide with the mechanism but far, far easier than when new.

To be more precise, according to Ruger, "the slide stop can be released by drawing back slightly on the slide and depressing the slide stop thumbpiece. When the slide is released, it will move forward under pressure from the recoil spring."

Verndog

Blackhawk
rugerfan100 said:

I think some people get a rush from slamming the chamber loaded at a flick of the thumb. To me, if ya have to force it, then find a better way. Of course, this is tough on sales and service as things rarely break that way. :wink:

Tym2getbizeee

Bearcat
Ive noticed that after sending a thousand rounds down range that it's easier to drop the slide with your thumb while the magazine is loaded. I still can't drop it if it's empty. Give that a try and let me know if that works as I used to just slingshot the slide when I first got my sr9c. Maybe that's the only time your supposed to use it as a slide release. Oh yeah and my slide is still tight when I try to rack it.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
rugerfan100 said:
spetch99 said:
rugerfan100 said:

To be more precise, according to Ruger, "the slide stop can be released by drawing back slightly on the slide and depressing the slide stop thumbpiece. When the slide is released, it will move forward under pressure from the recoil spring."

I believe rugerfan is correct. Please consider consulting the Ruger manual that came with the pistol, or alternatively, access the online manual by using the link I previously provided in this thread. :wink:

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
Locking back the slide for days, weeks, does not work. It's sort of like thinking you need to jack and block up your car at night so the springs don't get soft. But I tried anyway. I also don't believe that keeping mags loaded weaken the springs.

A

Anonymous

The only thing that is likely to weaken modern springs is continuous compression and decompression. Keeping a spring compressed will do very little to affect it.

crispy

Bearcat
After 100 rounds, slide impossible to release using just the slide stop.

After 200 rounds, slide now completely releasable (but stiff) using just the slide stop.

I figure after 300 rounds, it will be butter...

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
A few nights ago I was cleaning the SR9c after a range trip and took a very close, magnified, brightly lit look at the slide latch and slide notch. I was thinking about polishing them. What I found was that the slide notch, rear surface, is angled slightly toward the back (think saw blade) while the edge of the latch is angled slightly to the front. They actually "lock" together. What that means is that we're fighting those two locking angles, not stiffness, nor spring tension.

Question. How dangerous would it be to file one or the other surface (slide easier to get to) or both flat or square to each other? That's the way all my other guns are made, flat surfaces.

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
you might break the slide-lock entirely. I would think that would be the worst that would happen... and then your slide wouldn't lock back on it's own anymore.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
The slide "Stop" is not designed to be a release button, it is a locking mechanism. It does get easier to use after time, but I would NOT mess with it. You'll get stronger and it will become easier to use. In the mean time, just pul back on the slide, push the button, and slingshot it into battery.