Anybody use a 9mm for pest control?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skoopski

Single-Sixer
Used mine today on a chipmunk that's been eating my wiring on my tractor. 147gr. JHP did the trick... Finally caught him sitting on top of my stepped retaining wall, only had my carry gun, a S&W shield. Got out of my truck and he just stood there, had a decent shot and a good backstop. So I drew and fired. I got really tired of working on wiring....

wilson123

Bearcat
Hello..
I convey a 9mm and it came to me that where I live, I will probably keep running into a frenzied raccoon or other such bugs than any 2-legged varmint. I could bear a rifle constantly however who does that? So I am pondering around 9mm nuisance loads.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
ranger1 said:
andylate said:
I shot a bunny rabbit with my Hi-Power loaded with ball once. It was underwhelming; maybe hollowpoints would be a lot better. We were trying to thin down the cotton tails in my Dad's treerow.

Andy

Why don't you "live trap" them and release them in the country, the humane way? Rabbits are virtually harmless the way I see it. :)

They are great BBQ'd or in stew!
Blackie

grobin

Blackhawk
I have used a 9mms for skunks and some coons. I legally shot a deer during season and that took one round. I prefer a 22 for inside work (one skunk, a bunch of rats and squirrels). I've used my 10mm on hogs works fine. There was a post, now down, that claimed a guy had killed a griz with a 9mm-sho nuf!

Dan51

Bearcat
9mm works great on groundhogs.
A buddy and I were groundhog hunting on opposite ends of an alfalfa field. After about 30 minutes I heard a different
firearm report (not the sound of a 17 HMR that we were using) than I would have expected.
We had walkie talkies so I hailed him and asked what the heck was going on. He said he ambushed a large hog as it was coming out of her hole.
Another example of a 9mm 115 gr. HP dispatching a pest. Btw, he used a P95.

5of7

Hunter
I shot a woodchuck that was dumb enough to sit still while I was within 10 feet of him sitting in my pickup. I used my 'carry around home' gun; an LCP with Ruger's ARX ammo. 8)

Spleenless Dave

Single-Sixer
When I read the title about using a 9mm for pest control, I thought "Well, I've thought about it, but it might be overkill for the Brown Recluse spiders I have in the apartment. Plus the lady downstairs might not like bullets coming through the ceiling." :mrgreen:

wilson456

Bearcat
Hello..
I also looking for pest control tips but till now I am not getting satisfaction response from anyone please give me some suggestions or some effective tips about pest control and also tell me about 9mm for pest control, please...

syll1949

Bearcat
Hello,

I utilize an Anschutz 9MM rimfire cultivate weapon for mice and they carry out the activity pleasantly. Cant promise to how they will perform on rats, however, I am certain that in the event that you utilize them inside 10 yards they will stop one. With respect to a commotion, they are still a significant pop however in no way like a 12g. My family don't hear them unless the entryway is open.

grobin

Blackhawk
wilson456 I'm sorry to not address your question dirrectly. It depends on the location. My experience is that for small pests a .22LR is fine-particularly indoors. For mid-sized (coons, skunks, possums.... etc. a 9mms is a bit of overkill-but they often have rabies. For large ferral animals (large dogs, hogs....) a 9mms is mostly fine. For special pests it is marginal; grizzleys, rinos, buffalo, etc. The location matters as you may be prohibited from using a firearm or even killing them.

The same is true for poisions, the effective ones are often restricted to licesened pros. There are some available "natural" ones; but they require often esoteric knowledge. e.g. Goats are immune to botulism toxin and deer eat poison ivy, oak and sumac.

Traps may be successfully, but some jurisdictions restrict their use and getting the critter you are after instead of the cat or dog is problematic.

Booby traps and IED are a very bad idea as is gas.

ranny123

Bearcat
Hello,

I am searching for a pest control service immediately so please suggest me.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Took a shot at a rat in the barn with a 9mm. Once ! The 115gr +P+ did a number on my ears inside the barn . ( Wasn't rat hunting on purpose, but doing chores with a normal carry gun , and rat presented himself, and dared me to shoot him . .45Colt makes much better inside barn gun.)

The above mentioned 9mm load Will drop a deer in its tracks, with proper placement. I will observe , that in an adjacent state where I hunt , 9mm is legal for deer.

And in an unfortunate case , 9mm +P+ will put down a TWH with unsurvivable colic .

Taterman

Buckeye
Biggfoot44 said:
Took a shot at a rat in the barn with a 9mm. Once ! The 115gr +P+ did a number on my ears inside the barn . ( Wasn't rat hunting on purpose, but doing chores with a normal carry gun , and rat presented himself, and dared me to shoot him . .45Colt makes much better inside barn gun.)

The above mentioned 9mm load Will drop a deer in its tracks, with proper placement. I will observe , that in an adjacent state where I hunt , 9mm is legal for deer.

And in an unfortunate case , 9mm +P+ will put down a TWH with unsurvivable colic .

TWH?

Surprised this thread is still alive, must be because it's about 9mm and not 45acp... (caliber joke)... in fact I used a 9mm about two months ago to dispose of a sick possum... took 3-4 rounds to the head to kill the dern thing...

My real comment is that I always thought that's what the 9mm pistol was designed for... eliminating pest.

Trushe45

Bearcat
Hello...

I convey a 9mm and it came to me that where I live..., I will probably keep running into an out of control raccoon or another such bug than any 2-legged varmint...
I could bear a rifle constantly yet who does that...? So I am pondering around 9mm nuisance loads.

grobin

Blackhawk
I've used several different loads on various critters; mostly skunks and raccoons. I have tried segmenting, frangable, FMJ,hard cast and hollow point. On most small and mid sized critters I've had very good results with Hornady Critical Duty and good results with Underwood Xtreme Defender/Penetrator on feral hogs. I feel more comfortable with Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman +P 147 Grain Hard Cast for boar and one black bear. There's an article on a guide putting down a griz with it. I think there is info on the Buffalo Bore site.

DonD

Single-Sixer
My son is a retired cop though he remains LE through quals and continuing ED.

The only time he fired his duty firearm was when he was called to a scene about a bothersome animal. Almost as soon as he stepped out of his cruiser, a large, angry pit came at him. One shot from his 45ACP ended the event.

His department now carries 9mm and Federal HST ammo. Don