Do you lube the firing pin?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

louchia

Single-Sixer
Read a post on another site. He mentions that lubing the firing pin can be a bad idea.
Typically, when someone carries, the muzzle is pointed down. That being so, if the pin or firing pin block are oiled, that oil can migrate downward and then contaminate the primer. That may result in a misfire.
Ialwys run mine dry.
Something to think about.

DGW1949

Hunter
Captain America said:
I use Hoppes oil, rub it on then gently wipe it off with a rag leaving a sheen behind.

Yep, me too.

If ya gots enough oil on a firing pin that it can actually drip off and leak through the breech block (or bolt) hole, ya put too dern much on it. :lol: :lol: :lol: .

DGW

you can flush out the firing through the hole in front, then blow it out with an air hose...other wise do not "lube" the firing pin, we also used to see Remingtons in the winter time around here, if there was oil or lube on the firing pin they would misfire!!! freeze up, be sluggish, especially if you even get condensation in there and go out in freezing weather, same thing......keep it CLEAN !!!

louchia

Single-Sixer
When I flush out the firing pin block I use Gun Scrubber followed by a long blast of compressed air.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I use a very small amount of EEZOX. And make sure it dries. It provides lubrication dry and thus there is not tendency to stick or attract dirt.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Most striker fires pistols have a plastic sleeve in the striker channel to act as a low friction sliding surface and make additional lubrication unnecessary. As to oil running down the firing pin channel in sufficient amount to contaminate a primer, you would have to really over-oil it to have that happen.

websterz

Single-Sixer
Clean and dry for me. I used a bit of Mother's Mag Polish and buffed my striker to a mirror shine. No lube is necessary now.

willydstyle

Bearcat
It seems to me like lubing the striker in my SR9 would just encourage fouling to build up in the striker assembly.

louchia

Single-Sixer
loaded round said:
How many different websites did you post this question? Like reading your own post?
I posted the question/ comment on 2 different forums. I, and I am sure others, are interested in the different responses.
Isn't that what these forums are about, firearms discussion.
If the topic boars or irritates you, move on to another post/subject.

The only reference I've ever heard about this was with Glocks and you were not supposed to put any lube on the firing pin of some. I presume the potential for fowling the primer would really depend more on the type of oil as well as the type of ammo.

loaded round

Hunter
The proper spelling should be bores, not ''boars''. Neither adverb bothers me in any way, just posters that like to read their own posts that appear to just pump up their egos.

quote="louchia"]
loaded round said:
How many different websites did you post this question? Like reading your own post?
I posted the question/ comment on 2 different forums. I, and I am sure others, are interested in the different responses.
If the topic boars or irritates you, move on to another post/subject.[/quote]

tinman

Buckeye
The only oil any of mine get might be from me handling it. Like the others have said.....cleaned, checked for burs then reinstalled.

louchia

Single-Sixer
loaded round said:
The proper spelling should be bores, not ''boars''. Neither adverb bothers me in any way, just posters that like to read their own posts that appear to just pump up their egos.

quote="louchia"]
loaded round said:
If the topic boars or irritates you, move on to another post/subject.
[/quote]

Thank you for the correction "loaded". It's not my intention to carry on a pissing match. Just interested in conversation and opinions of others. Sometimes a post does not get much interest on a forum so I'll try another. As yourself, you search more than one forum.

louchia

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
louchia,

You got to watch out for the grammar and spelling police, they are every where....

i get curated all ways....

Tank yu fer da wornin.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
Posting the same question on two forums seeking opinions hardly seems excessive or an exercise in ego building. That post seemed unnecessarily confrontational. Maybe the poster was loaded.