LC9s magazine reliability

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DJM007

Bearcat
I'm considering trading in my old LC9 for a new LC9s Pro (never liked the obtrusive loaded chamber indicator or the manual safety). I used to have problems with the American-made magazines (as many have reported) and have switched them out for the Italian-made magazines.

Does the LC9s accept LC9 magazines? And if so, have there been reports of the same problems with reliability in the American-made magazines?

OldePhart

Blackhawk
The LC9s uses the same magazines and, yes, there were issues with USA made ones but the Italian ones worked fine for me.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
DJ,
Trading your old LC9 in could be a bad idea. First off, you are going to have a disappointment at the LGS when they offer you an insulting price for your reliable little LC9. Second, you might really be interested in reading Old Phart's threads on some of the difficulties with his new LC9s. Apparently, Ruger was in such a haste to redesign the old hammer fired LC9 into a striker version that they made some dimensional mistakes in the slide of the striker new version. These shortcomings (extractor geometry) have resulted in reliability issues.

hittman

Staff member
We all have different comfort levels and tolerances to what we'll put up with in a gun. Likes, dislikes, etc.

My LC9 has been totally reliable so, I've learned how to shoot it ...... perceived long trigger pull and all. I wouldn't be surprised to see gun stores; the few that take trade-ins, offer under $200.00 for the "original" LC9s.

The grass ain't always greener ......

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
We all have different comfort levels and tolerances to what we'll put up with in a gun. Likes, dislikes, etc.

My LC9 has been totally reliable so, I've learned how to shoot it ...... perceived long trigger pull and all. I wouldn't be surprised to see gun stores; the few that take trade-ins, offer under $200.00 for the "original" LC9 .

The grass ain't always greener ......
I really like this post! :D

Looking at the cost of the new striker LC9s at $350-370 and current unpopularity of the original hammer fired LC9, a retailer may figure to price that used LC9 at $199 to $225. A great bargain for someone and good for the store to have bargains. Usually dealers will want to double their money so the seller get a hundred bucks.

Not only that, consider what you are buying this new defense pistol for. Several months ago I talked to local LEO who spent 26 years in our local PD. We have a lot of very unsavory places in our town that he went to on a regular basis, places I wouldn't think of going to. During his 26 years, he had only one (1) shooting. Now what are the chances of a civilian having a shooting?? For us civilians, the real danger and risk comes from gun handling on a daily basis. The original LC9 with that long double action revolver like trigger, is safer to handle. With snap cap practice and some range time, it's not hard to learn to shoot the hammer fired LC9 and it will still be instantly available in the event of a emergency.
Yep, that grass ain't always greener.

Toyman

Single-Sixer
I purchased an LC 9 pro and shot it for the first time today. I had 31 rounds of Federal 124 grain FMJ to use and all feed, fired, extracted and ejected with out a problem. The trigger is a long pull but smooth and not heavy. I bought the gun for my wife and she has yet to shoot it.
The target was shot at 3 , 5 and 7 yards, The low shots were the first as I got used to the feel of the gun and the trigger.
My first impression is very good.

LC9_zpsq9ttwlpm.jpg

I'm seriously considering a semiautomatic pistol to replace my Ruger SP101 5 shot 2 inch 357 stainless.

I'm considering a couple pistols in fact. One of which is the LC9 or LC9S.

I have read about issues with the magazine release dumping mags.

How may have experienced this problem prior to getting it fixed and what steps were taken to get it fixed?

I'm very interested in this because I would like to get a Ruger semiautomatic pistol for my next conceal carry.

Any information is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you RF family.

hittman

Staff member
hittman said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see gun stores; the few that take trade-ins, offer under $200.00 for the "original" LC9s.

Well, I was right for a change ... :lol: ... local store had a trade-in LC9 (looked new-in-box to me), with the box, docs, 2 mags, etc. and were asking $210.00. It didn't last a day; horrible long trigger and all. :mrgreen:

hittman

Staff member
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I'm considering a couple pistols in fact. One of which is the LC9 or LC9S.

I have read about issues with the magazine release dumping mags.

I've not had that problem. My LC9 is one of the first. After several hundred rounds I had light primer strike troubles. It went back to the mother ship for a free fix ..... I can't remember now all the long list of things they replaced. Regardless, I've sent 600 or more down-range since with not one problem at all.

Still, all that being said ...... I'm more comfy carrying my LCR.

I like the slim profile of the LC9S. Would fit in cargo pocket. My concern is with the mag release button. I can't risk my life on having it fail. If it's an easy fix, no big deal, I would buy the LC9S in a heart beat.

hittman

Staff member
I've carried my LC9 in cargo pants pockets with no mag-release problems. Now, I am left-handed so as I carry, the button rides on the "outside" - - not against my leg, if that makes sense.

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
I got a lc9s pro in late Feb. It came with one magazine made in the U.S. I ordered two more from Midway and finally got them about two weeks ago. Both were made in Italy. I tried them out last night at my range and didn't have any problems with them falling out, in fact the Italian ones wouldn't drop out when I hit the eject button. I had to pull them out. After it happened the first time I reloaded the mag, put it in the gun, hit the eject, and it dropped out. So far, so good. Reinsert the mag, shoot the rounds, hit the button, and the magazine stuck again. The U.S. mag works fine and I can't see any difference between it and the Italian ones. Opinions anyone?

Didn't know there were different mags for this gun? Are the Italian ones Mec Gar? The American ones are Ruger? What's the story? This is my first time reading this.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Didn't know there were different mags for this gun? Are the Italian ones Mec Gar? The American ones are Ruger? What's the story? This is my first time reading this.
The original mags for the LC9(hammer fired gun) were Italian made, thicker metal and high polish. They look just like a MecGar but are not marked with that brand. Toward the end of the LC9 production, Ruger Corp started supplying the American made magazines produced by Checkmate Co. The metal is thinner and the finish is simple blue without polish. Users reported that the new magazines would pop out during firing cycle, but Ruger claims that if you send your pistol in, they can adjust the pistol to work better with the new cheaper mag.

Note carefully that there is a different between the Ruger LC9(hammer fired) and the LC9s (Striker fired). The newer striker guns LC9s all ship with the new Checkmate(USA) magazine. This new striker version was response to consumers who wanted a better trigger. The old hammer version was dropped.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
One comment.... I don't think the LC9s Pro should ever be carried in a pocket with out a holster that covers the trigger.... the trigger on this critter needs to be covered.
This is very good advice!

dlidster

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
One comment.... I don't think the LC9s Pro should ever be carried in a pocket with out a holster that covers the trigger.... the trigger on this critter needs to be covered.
^^^
Big Plus 1!

I have both an LC9s-Pro and an LC9. I use the LC9s-Pro as a CCP in IDPA matches where i carry it in an outside holster. The trigger is makes it amazingly accurate for such a small gun. But it's way too light for pocket or IWB carry [in my opinion].

I don't find the trigger on the LC9 "awful" as some have said. In fact, it's a pretty good double-action that can be mastered with practice. The LC9 is safe for pocket or IWB carry [in my opinion].

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
dlidster said:
blume357 said:
^^^
Big Plus 1!

I have both an LC9s-Pro and an LC9. I use the LC9s-Pro as a CCP in IDPA matches where i carry it in an outside holster. The trigger is makes it amazingly accurate for such a small gun. But it's way too light for pocket or IWB carry [in my opinion].

I don't find the trigger on the LC9 "awful" as some have said. In fact, it's a pretty good double-action that can be mastered with practice. The LC9 is safe for pocket or IWB carry [in my opinion].
Totally agree with your assessment! When the LC9 first came out, everyone seemed to like it and it shot well and even had good reviews. Then along came the new striker version and the old double action, hammer version was suddenly worse than last year's Christmas present.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
MountainWalker said:
...When the LC9 first came out, everyone seemed to like it and it shot well and even had good reviews. Then along came the new striker version and the old double action, hammer version was suddenly worse than last year's Christmas present.
Well...gun writers gotta have somethin' to jaw about!

Seriously, though, the original LC9 trigger would have been a deal breaker for me (I have a friend who has one). It's not that the pull is especially long or heavy, it's long and heavy for such a short grip...it put my trigger finger in the wrong position to squeeze smoothly. For someone with hands a different shape, or maybe more mobile fingers, it's probably fine.

John