LCP problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

louchia

Single-Sixer
While at the range today, I had a very unexpected issue. The take down pin on my reasonable new LCP ( 500 rnds +or-) backed all the way out. The slide flew completely off and the guide rod and springs went 20 down range. I did not see any damage or unusual wear. Putting every thing back together, all worked fine. Pin snaps into place and holds tight until pried out with a snap.
Called Rugar. They have had some calls about this happening. Some guns show the hole into which the takedown pin fits , to be slightly out of round. In this case they will replace the gun .
Has anyone else had this experience?

OldePhart

Blackhawk
If you search you'll find other posts similar to yours, here. There is a company that makes improved take down pins for the LCP, I can't recall the name of the company at the moment but apparently they at least must have felt it was a frequent enough issue that there was money to be made...

louchia

Single-Sixer
Thanks Blackhawk I'll do a search. Rugar is sending me another pin. Maybe it's an improved model. I'll give a report when I get it. Also sending recoil springs and guide pin.

Nano65

Bearcat
OldePhart said:
If you search you'll find other posts similar to yours, here. There is a company that makes improved take down pins for the LCP, I can't recall the name of the company at the moment but apparently they at least must have felt it was a frequent enough issue that there was money to be made...
Go to http://www.tandemkross.com and search for LCP Tool-less takedown pin.
I have one in my LCP and really like it.

louchia

Single-Sixer
Nano65, how many rounds have you now shot with the new pin? I'm assuming you haven't had any problem with the new pin.

Nano65

Bearcat
louchia said:
Nano65, how many rounds have you now shot with the new pin? I'm assuming you haven't had any problem with the new pin.
I have shot 100 rounds with the new pin. No problems but I didn't have any problems with the old pin.

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
Same thing happened to my wife at the range. Pin didn't break but backed out enough for the slide to wind up 10 feet down range. Gunsmith looked at it and tightened the spring that holds the take down pin in. No problems since.