Semi auto magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
Was cruising the internet and wandered into Berettas site. Found in their FAQ section that they recommend swapping magazines in their semiautos every six months to give the springs a rest. That makes a bit of sense but have never heard that from Ruger. Whats the consensus here? I just got a LCP that I carry daily and have been thinking of getting another magazine anyway.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I do swap about every six months but I'm not exact about it. Every 4-7 months would be more precise. As for if it matters? Some will say as long as the spring in any semi magazine is in proper spec it doesn't, (or shouldn't matter) how long they are loaded. They believe wear on the spring comes not from the compression but the loading and unloading (or firing). Which I believe is mostly true.

Others say they have experienced better magazine life by resting the springs a bit. Who's right? I dunno. I swap out because some of the voices who recommend it are reputable experienced shooters and I respect their opinion. For me there's no good reason not too, I have at least 3 mags for all my pistols so it takes very little effort to swap them out a ~couple of times a year.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Far be it for me to go against a goliath like Beretta but I challenge the contention springs need to "rest". A spring either has resilience or it does not (due to improper temper). The most common reason springs lose their "set" is due to being repeatedly compressed and released, which induces metal fatigue.

Allowing a spring to expand for some length of time does not magically replace any perceived lost strength.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Highspeedlane said:
Far be it for me to go against a goliath like Beretta but I challenge the contention springs need to "rest". A spring either has resilience or it does not (due to improper temper). The most common reason springs lose their "set" is due to being repeatedly compressed and released, which induces metal fatigue.

Allowing a spring to expand for some length of time does not magically replace any perceived lost strength.

I agree but Beretta needs to sell magazines and those Beretta owner guys might have ISIS raiders running around in their backyards and keeping four or more magazines for a gun will make them feel safer and Beretta much happier. :D

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Who ever does the Beretta web site should spend more time talking to the company metallurgist. That advice is nonsense. Highspeedlane has it right.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
It's probably worth noting that I think Beretta is also the company that recently started recommending recoil springs be replaced every 8000 ish rounds I can't remember the exact number. Anyway the beauty of the magazine spring issue is that it really is a non issue.

If you do it fine, if not it's like you've fired that magazine once or twice per year as far as the spring is concerned... I can hardly see what difference it makes.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
Pretty much my thoughts but what do I know. I need another mag anyway but will probably keep them both loaded. By the way, I have a Beretta .22 rifle made in the '50s with magazines that were loaded for 20 years and they still work. :shock:

Sounds like the "replace the springs every 8,000 rounds" is more practical than letting them 'rest'.... still kind of pushing the world of reality... would be more practical to just promote "everyone should own at least 6-10 magazines and keep at least half of them fully loaded.

modrifle3

Buckeye
It is most likely marketing or a CYA to those who try to get freebies by claiming spring failure. I have seen lower quality mags have an issue but that was a lot of GI contract M16 mags left loaded for a year.

I would focus on swapping your ammo before the mag. Oil and sweat can damage a primer before you realize it. Especially the round in the chamber from wiping the gun down.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
Have read other places that its good to run your carry ammo through once in awhile. Especially in a HD shotgun where the plastic shells can actually crush enough over time that they wont chamber. Hadn't thought about the primer thing but I clean my guns often enough there is usually a film of hoppes in the chamber.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
NixieTube said:
I don't mean to sound skeptical but can you show us where they give that advice on their website? I can't find it.

It's here: http://berettausa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/169/kw/Magazine%20springs/session/L3RpbWUvMTQxMDU3NjAxNC9zaWQvVWN6QUxmMm0%3D

I imagined and probably rightfully so that many would want both their magazines that came with the pistol "combat loaded and ready for action". In order to do so, one would need to buy some new ones, selling parts is a part of this game.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Wow. They're basically admitting their magazine springs are overloaded when the magazine is used as it was designed. Springs should never take a "static set" unless they are used in a way that deforms them beyond the yield point. Engineers can calculate this. If loading a Beretta magazine deforms the springs beyond the yield point even when they're being used as designed and not even cycled, that's a design flaw. Letting the springs "rest" is a dodge. I keep thinking for some reason of a Southern Belle waving a folding fan...."Oh, Beretta, let me rest, you scoundrel! You've got me all tired out here on your steamboat!" ;)

19&41

Bearcat
Rust is a much faster ruination of springs than them taking a "set". It's a good idea to inspect and lube the springs periodically.

groberts

Single-Sixer
To let the spring rest it would have to sit empty. To have an empty magazine is like having a bowl for cereal but no cereal. Or, if you prefer, a beer mug but no beer.

Taterman

Buckeye
groberts said:
To let the spring rest it would have to sit empty. To have an empty magazine is like having a bowl for cereal but no cereal. Or, if you prefer, a beer mug but no beer.

I prefer beer in my cereal.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
Just a thought. I'm an auto technician by trade. Older car springs do weaken over time. If you have ever seen a 50s or 60s car sagging in the back its because the springs have weakened and they need to be replaced. Newer technology would take some account into that. It would probably take a lot of time just like a car for this to happen though.

modrifle3

Buckeye
It's usage not a static set. Cheap springs that are over stressed will do this. Good springs need to be used to do this. Usually they break not take a set.