The .40 cal. trade-off...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Yet your .45 generates less chamber pressure, less muzzle flip, and hits harder than the .40. At the same time the 9mm. gives you a higher capacity than the .40, less chamber pressure, less muzzle flip and is almost ballistically the same as the 40.

I don't have the stat.'s in front of me right now & sadly I don't have time to look it up right now. I will later if you like but IIRC 9mm & .40 operate at pretty much the same pressure levels. Especially if you are running plus p or plus p plus trying to get the same levels of performance as a .40.

This topic is kinda like the whole polymer pistol topic. Some people don't like .40-some people don't like plastic guns. I am fine with this. Why it is necessary to start threads to justify the anti .40 or anti plastic pistols to justify their choices is beyond me.

revhigh

Hawkeye
pjvrefugee said:
I shoot 40 and 45 both better than I shoot 9. have no clue why but I do.

Your 40 and 45 guns are better than your 9mm guns could be one reason for shooting them better ...

REV

pyth0n

Buckeye
WAYNO said:
Boy, we sure do overthink this stuff. If ya really like the 9mm, and ya can't handle the .40, then shoot what ya can.

The .38/9mm was considered marginal as a man stopper for many decades. Better bullets and more velocity sure does improve on things.

But at the same time the 9mm and .38 was being improved, so was the .40 and .45. So improving the 9mm/.38 does not make it as good as the .40 or .45, cuz the .40 and .45 was also being improved, (even though the .45 needed no improvement.) :mrgreen:

So, rationalization is not necessary. A gun or cartridge you can handle trumps any gun you cannot handle.

But alas, even I will rationalize when necessary. When my attire requires a little tiny gun, it just may include a little tiny cartridge, like a .38. I just don't tell anybody how underpowered it is.

And more of my opinion...The .40 S&W is an incredible little cartridge.

WAYNO.
+100%

SteveC51

Bearcat
I have been evaluating several .40 guns for CC potential because of the superior velocity and penetration. Even though I can fire .357 in a J frame without issue, I haven't found a 40 that does not have obnoxious recoil. I have tried the Shield, M&P9C, and XD in subcompact, compact, and full size. I would like to try a p239, but haven't found one to try.

I'm trying to decide if I want to stick with my LC9 for carry, or go with an XDS in .45.

Steve

Idaho Spud

Bearcat
40 S&W is another choice. Choices are nice. Glad we still have choices here. Pick what you like. I like them all. incl. the 40 Smith. Just can't afford to buy them all. But if I could, I would. The end.

eveled

Hawkeye
To each his own. In my opinion, the 9mm and the .45acp cover all the bases. I have no use for .380, .40, 10mm, or .357sig. But the .40cal is the one that seems the least practical to me of all of them. I always felt is was an answer to a question nobody was asking. Ed

I truly do not understand all the vitriol and almost anger expressed about the 40S&W round. Its just a bit larger than the 9mm or 38 Special, and a bit smaller than the 45acp. It allows higher capacity in the same size gun as compared to 45acp, but less than a 9mm round would allow. Big deal. It still is the most prevalent round used by law enforcement agencies throughout the country, so I assume these agencies feel it is at least acceptable if not preferable to other available calibers. None of these handgun rounds will do everything we wish they could do, i.e., ensure that the threat is stopped with a single round that hits other than a vital organ, but probably comes as close as any other round, or at least close enough. I'm glad a have one gun that fires 40S&W since for awhile it was the only ammo I could readily find when I went to the gun stores. But I also carry a 38+ round in my 5-shot snubbie, or 6+1 in my little LCP 380. All of these are compromises between size, capacity, power, etc. In my own mind I go back and forth between wanting to maintain the five different calibers that I routinely shoot at the range to thinking that maybe it would be simpler to reduce to a single caliber for all the guns I own. So like it or hate it, its just another round. If you like it you still don't have to convince yourself that it is the best round ever conceived, and if you don't like it you don't need to convince yourself that it is the worst round every conceived. Just go shoot and be safe.

vacextar

Blackhawk
The biggest problem with .40S&W is that it's not 10mm. ;-)

With that said, I carry 9mm. I just think it's a shame that the 40 kind of killed off the 10mm, because the 10mm is really a great round. Not many other rounds that offer the flexibility it has......load it hot for hunting.....load it light for plinking. Get a 135gr hollowpoint screaming out at 1450fps to blow up pumpkins (or a bad guy's brain cavity) or load up 200gr flat-nose fmj to (slow) 45acp velocities to mow down bowling pins without destroying them.

I guess that sums up my beef with the 40. All it offers is an "in between" (9mm & 45). And all the while it was sucking up popularity for it's supreme "in-between-ness", it was killing off a truly great cartridge that offers so much more than just being "between" two other calibers.

Now THAT I agree with. The 10mm is in another league. I have considered purchasing one for a while. Not many guns are made in 10mm, I can name only 3. The EAA Witness, the Colt Delta Elite, and ironically, the Glock 20, being the most durable towards that round. OK... Not bashing plastic guns here ;-) or the 40. Wish more 10mm offerings were available.

vacextar

Blackhawk
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Now THAT I agree with. The 10mm is in another league. I have considered purchasing one for a while. Not many guns are made in 10mm, I can name only 3. The EAA Witness, the Colt Delta Elite, and ironically, the Glock 20, being the most durable towards that round. OK... Not bashing plastic guns here ;-) or the 40. Wish more 10mm offerings were available.

Agreed! My G20 might not be the prettiest gun you'll ever see, but it has never, ever once malfunctioned in any way, and it will take 10mm-hot-load abuse all day long with no complaints. We all know the Delta Elite is basically a safe-queen......nice to look at, but shooting it and expecting it to remain in one piece for very long is unlikely. I haven't heard much feedback on the EAA. I know they make some nice looking guns and I've always kind of kicked around the idea of getting one, but I already can't afford to shoot the 10mm I do have.....so not much sense in buying another. I bought the G20 when you could still get Blazer 10mm ammo for $11/box of 50. My local gun store has some on the shelf for $32/box....... :cry:

Went to the range yesterday and was primarily shooting my sr40c. Worked great, and what some might call snappy seemed just like an obviously powerful round being fired to me. Makes nice big holes in the paper target, and it seems likely it would make pretty good holes in other things that it might hit. With the stock magazine it holds 9 +1, and if that is not enough for self defense it means you are really in trouble.

Mike J

Hunter
vacextar said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:

Agreed! My G20 might not be the prettiest gun you'll ever see, but it has never, ever once malfunctioned in any way, and it will take 10mm-hot-load abuse all day long with no complaints. We all know the Delta Elite is basically a safe-queen......nice to look at, but shooting it and expecting it to remain in one piece for very long is unlikely. I haven't heard much feedback on the EAA. I know they make some nice looking guns and I've always kind of kicked around the idea of getting one, but I already can't afford to shoot the 10mm I do have.....so not much sense in buying another. I bought the G20 when you could still get Blazer 10mm ammo for $11/box of 50. My local gun store has some on the shelf for $32/box....... :cry:

I have been interested in 10mm for a while but I believe it would be pointless for me unless I got into reloading.

steenroller

Bearcat
Just picked up a blue label G20 on the first responder discount and have not shot it yet. I have dies to reload 40 S&W and they work for 10mm also so I am ready. Just need to get some brass. I have 9mm, .40, .45, .357, .45 colt, and .44 along with a compact.380. I would feel comfortable with anyone of them but the closest I have ever come to a self-defense situation is competition and hope it stays that way. From my reading the 9mm and .38 are the threshold of a good self defense round. I have a compact Glock G27 in .40 that I can shoot as well as a full size pistol.
Said all this to say that they are all good rounds and shot placement is probably more important than size of round among the standard pistol cartridges. If everybody had the same opinion there would be one cartridge and one type of pistol.

S & W 1006 is another 10 mm gun. Similar to a 4506. My son has the happy family in Glock .40 sw. I have shot his, owned a Sigma in .40, but never warmed up to it. I still have a 9mm, but find my EDC to be a revolver now in .44 spcl. :)
gramps

Sunset_Va

Bearcat
I got into 40 caliber many years ago when it first came out. I had been shooting primarily 45 acp through 1911 pistols, I think my first 40 cal was a HK USP.

I didn't get into the 357 Sig caliber until about 4 years ago and have adopted it as my primary caliber. I don't shoot as much as I used to, but I can shoot much better with the 357 Sig than the 40. Many will say, the 357 Sig is just a +P+ 9mm, my viewpoint is maybe, but not as destructive on the gun.

I am not a 9mm fan, and most of the time choose the 40 over the 9mm, just not that many 357 Sig pistols available, especially sub compacts.

Owned a Kahr P40, and handled the recoil in that very well, using Corbon 135 gr ammo, I always enjoy reading others viewpoints on calibers.