M77RS tang in .338 win mag walnut/blue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

C6S1C

Bearcat
Was there many of these made??? I was having trouble figuring out if they commom or uncommon??? Walnut/Blued with tang safety and round bolt. Thanks....I have my eye on one.

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I've been told that the ones that came from the factory with iron sights are harder to find.

C6S1C

Bearcat
This looks to have ruger factory sights. Seems like it might be a beast to shoot.

I just wasn't sure if they made many in that caliber in the tang safety days.

chet15

Hawkeye
All RS models are fairly tough to find.
Yes, the .338 can be hard on the shoulder after a box of ammo, but you will really appreciate its flat-shooting characteristics.
Chet15

mcknight77

Blackhawk
They are not common, but they can be found occasionally on the auction sites. I have a tang safety RS with black pad and a MK II stainless with Zytel stock.

They do have recoil, but are completely manageable, IMHO.

As Chad said, any RS is harder to find.

picketpin

Buckeye
How about "Uncommon"? You have to figure that at least 80% if not 90% of total production were "R" rifles. Right there any of the "RS", "ST" or "PL" guns are uncommon by definition.

How rare/uncommon depends on calber and time frame when it was built.
Certainly fewer 338s RS rifles than say 270s or 30-06 and 243s, probably the three most common. I'd have to look at the catalogs to figure out years and calibers. Chad?? Took a look at the catalogs and Burkes book.
Apparently every caliber except the Swift made prior to 1985 was offered as a RS. I didn't realize till right now that the ST was a LA only thing. What's an "S" listed twice in the Buirke book?

The 338 is a superb elk/moose/big bear rifle. If you shoot more than a few rounds each year at things/critters I'd be surprised. I hunt a lot with my 338 "S" #1. In 20+ years I've fired less than 50 rounds at animals and 5 each year before elk season just to be sure everything is still working/sighted in. I do admit you don't spend a lot of time working up loads and when you find one that works your done. ;-) Thankfully mine shoots 250 Nocler Partitions at 2800 fps in under 2 inches at 200 yards. so I quit load work. Out of 17 elk, 2 moose and 3 bears, I've recovered exactly 2 bullets.

Jimmy: You home??

Ross

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Ross, it's been my experience that rifles in 7Mag are by far the most common caliber in RS rifles. The .338Mag is second, but not a close second. .30-06 is next with everything else falling in behind. The rarest is probably the .22-250 and maybe the .250Savage. .280Rems are pretty scarce also.

I have no facts to back this up. Just based on the rifles I've seen.

An 'S' is a rifle with sights shipped without rings. Only way to tell an 'S' from an RS is to have the box so marked or call the factory to check shipping configuration.

I'm not in AK; stuck in Orlando for a couple more weeks. Trying to make it to ID later in Nov to deer hunt.

Jim

picketpin

Buckeye
Jim: Did you draw late season tags!! I have a landowners permit for 41 in the late hunt.

I see more 270s and 30-06s than 7mm Mags. Burke lists the 270 and 30-06 in PL which ihave seen but also "possible" the 300 Win and the 338 Win.

Only LA not listed as a ST is the 280 Rem.

Guess a guy wouldn't want to buy an "S" without the original box

Drop my a line if you get this way. Been raining for the last 4 days here. The desert is a muddy mess.

Ross