Old marlin 60's and NEF / H&R Pardner SBI20, help please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
HI guys,
These aren't Ruger but it does say other in the title.

Got these used and need a little help. The NEF hammer won't stay cocked and the 60's are real dirty.

If anyone has any good diagrams or insight I would appreciate it.

Got a manual coming from each manufacturer to start. and downloaded exploded views.

Thanks,
Roy

The Marlin 60s are very prone to fouling, good cleaning, soaking ,scrubbing (flush out the mechanism good,) and lightly oil, NO OIL in the chamber please. The NEF could have a broken sear notch, common problem with them, but easy to fix and work on....that too may need a good cleaning..
nothing fancy, plain old kerosene works wonders............

roylt

Hunter
I have never really taken any guns apart before. (field stripped my P89 & Glock once each so far is all) My biggest problem will be knowing if something is missing or bad. I can take it apart but won't know what is wrong.

Any books or anything that would have details of what the internals should be or look like?

I don't know what a sear is? Just learning.

usually the Gun Digest books of 'assembly & disassembly' provided by the NRA have pretty good detailed ,easy to follow with pictures ,etc....find the one related to the guns you are asking about, as they usually group them by firearms 'type' ...we see these books at the gun shows ,any of the book dealers carry them , but check with the NRA, OR if you have any larger gun shops ( stores) Gander Mtn, Cabelas, etc, they usually have a gun library section...........if you are handy in taking things aparts, then just "observe" what you are doing, look into the action and try and "see" just what may or may NOT be taking place...the disassembly books help to put things in a proper order ( sequence), and any parts drawings may not be "detailed" enough to show sear notches, or engagement of them ( trigger to hammer, etc) It is not rocket science, pretty cut and dry , and for the most part, pretty 'primative' on them old single shots..as for the 22's its basically "fouling" (dirt) brings them to a screaming halt...nature of the beast. Then it is usually the ammo 'type', change brands maybe.......and of course use the proper type of ammo,standard versus high velocity ,versus 'hyper velocity, and so on..............
as I said , a GOOD cleaning is first before anything else,cause that may be alll thats needed....good luck

Here is one to check out.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=11760

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=3626