Gun Show & The BKH-46 Box

Help Support Ruger Forum:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Gentlemen,
I set up at a small show in New Philly yesterday. I have some business cards that I put out on the table listing what I'm looking to buy. One of the items was Old Ruger Boxs.

A gentleman was looking at some of my stuff and we struck up a conversation on Rugers. He told me that he had a four digit .44 FT that was his fathers in about 90% condition with the box and paper work.
He had read one of my cards and ask me if I would be interested in buying the box only, I said yes and he went home to get it.
I have been looking for one (who isn't) for my four digit (3721) shooter
for awhile.

About an hour later he came back carrying a soft pistol case with the .44 FT in it and white plastic bag with the box in it tucked under his arm. We
looked at his gun first and it was a Type 1 variation BKH-46 #7495, and
a easy 90% + gun with a cherry red loading date. It had been sent in by
his father for the safety conversion and the old parts had been lost.
You could tell that his father took great care of the gun.

We put the gun aside and he handed me the bag with the box in it, when
I took it out of the bag my heart sank!! The box was completly wrapped in
clear plastic tape! every inch of her :cry: Man was I bummed out! the warranty card and a 4 choice manual. Bottom line the box was ruined but
without the tape on it, it would have graded right at 80% in my eyes.

Story went that when his father passed he was still a young boy and his
uncle put the gun in the box and taped it up to store it. When he got older and got the gun he cut her open and thats how it remained. After we talked awhile we both decided that the box was best kept with the gun just like his father had left it for him. He shoots the gun and wanted to
someday hand it down to his son. Close but NO cigar! the hunt continues.

I know that rugerguy could write a book on some of the boxs he has seen
in all his years of collecting and attending gun shows.

Terry

Terry, GOOD story, you're finding out just "how" things come out of the woodwork, with a bit of chit chat and putting YOUR face and cards out there for all to "see" never failed us yet...and yes, we too had a 4 digit 357 flatop come to us this week end, in the box, no papers and the "MOT" white plastic pearls on it...oh well, he'll be selling it shortly, has to get the OK from the family....yes, I've had way MORE than my share of great boxes, and the guys who got them, KNOW what a "deal" the got on them too............long before I ever thought of taking ANY pictures of ANYTHING ( or in the case of Tulsa some years back) "the spur of the moment...." 8)

One we did take a picture of (had to, it lives here now, gave to Laura for a present....) :roll:
Don W and I were set up at the Maumee Valley gun show, and you would have had to SEE this gun "BEFORE", it too hung in a barn, on a hook, and was covered in barn owl or pigeon crap, among other things, and a good soaking in kerosene, voila, the gun is awesome, and the guy ( the son) had the box all these years, sitting in the closet, and as you can see by the markings (writing) on it, he kept all of his Boy Scout patches in it....................

LWAC200470top.jpg

we told him it was worth a LOT more,PLUS the value of the box, but he traded even up for a new model Blackhawk 357 mag ...............$350..........
so pays to "be there, pay attention, strike up a conversation, and be straight up with folks..." :wink:

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Terry,

I'd try to get that box any way. Clear plastic tape can be removed and the box cleaned up. I once bought a pair of 4 5/8" OM 41s, in their boxes which were completely covered in surgical/hospital tape. There wasn't a single inch of cardboard visible.

It took a while but I got all of that tape off and the boxes cleaned up VERY nicely.

If it were me, I'd buy that box (for the right price) and get the tape off.

BB45C

americal

Hunter
T.A. Thanks for the story --love them 8) Wish it had turned out better but it sures gets exciting :) ENJOYED your way of telling of the event.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
HAWKEYE#28 said:
The box belonged with the revolver..............

Well said Mike!! Thats the conclusion him and I came to also!!

rugerguy is 100% right about striking up a conversation and being
honest with people. In the past two years that I have been setting
up a table at the smaller shows I have talked to a lot of people who
know Dan and I have never heard a bad word said. Thats what
honesty and being willing to help them out gets you.
Terry