Duplicate Old Model .357's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flattop44

Buckeye
Just picked up BKH34 #D30-98517, came to me as a single cylinder gun. Will have to wait a few weeks to get a letter to see if that was how it was shipped.
FT44

Wow!

Out there all by itself, with no other "D" guns around . . . at least on Bob's List.

Ya sure there isn't a "30-" prefix on it?

Or was that supposed to be understood?

Just askin' . . . I'm a beginner.

:)

Asked and answered . . . see below.

;)

bedrockfred

Blackhawk
hi people, i dont understand this game, but maybe i can play? i just got my first 3 screw blackhawk 30-89709 357 with numbered 9mm cylinder and 6.5 barrel.no box,i would like one! can you tell me if the silver squashed chicken grips are right for this gun? sorry if i jumped in to the wrong game!__bedrockfred

Hi, Fred. In this case you're in the right church, even if perhaps in the wrong pew.

That said, it would depend on exactly when your gun was shipped. Others in your immediate serial number range appear to have shipped in "earlyish" 1971 when there's a good chance they were still shipping the occasional older "blackbird" grip panels. If it were shipped considerably later, it's more likely it came with the "squashed chickens". Unfortunately, we cannot obtain data from the factory on exactly which components were furnished on any particular gun.

I'm prepared to be corrected by more experienced members.

At any rate, you have a nice Old Model there, particularly with the matching 9mm cylinder. Enjoy.

You will note from the listing on page one that your gun was almost certainly shipped before the long "run" of duplicate D-marked guns.

croesus

Bearcat
BKH 34X D30-97496

No letter. Just bought it. 9mm cylinder appears to number to the gun. I'll let you know if it is not a match -- have to get it in my hands first.

That one appears on Bob's List, indicated as having been seen on Guns America.

I have added it to the list at the beginning of this thread.

Congrats on a nice score, and thanks for posting.

41 nut son

Bearcat
I have two of them, D30-38756 BKH 34x with letter and more interestingly D30-97623, this one has a backwards "D", super grip frame, trigger, and hammer. Waiting on the letter for this one. I do have one other BKH 36 that letters with the MR-3-D super grip frame and MR 40-44-S super hammer.

D30-38756 and D30-97623 appear in the list. Please confirm the unusual stuff on D30-97623 when you get the letter.

Care to share the number on that last one? Interesting features.

Richard had neat toys, and always seemed to get them lettered quite nicely.

Thanks for your efforts.

Edited to add: If you check on page 2 of this thread, you will see where Richard added a couple to this effort, including one of the ones mentioned right here.

:mrgreen:

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I have BKH D 30-98024 that I bought last summer. I was wanting an Old Model 357 and this one came up at a good price. I didn't even notice the "D" in the serial number until after I bought it and was looking at it more closely. It has a 6 1/2" barrel and the squashed chicken medallion in the grips. It has the factory transfer bar conversion.

Bell Swamp

Bearcat
I will show my ignorance here. What is the deal with the "D" in the serial number? My old 357 Blackhawk I got back when I was about 14 just has 843XX with no dashes or letters. It came without a 9mm cylinder.

Guns with a "D" are the result of Ruger accidentally running a second batch of identical model guns in the same serial number block. When this is discovered, they go back and stamp a "D" into the serial numbers of the second batch so the number is "different" and they can be sold. This has happened with several of their models over the years.

843XX would have been shipped very late in 1966, a period when Ruger was not shipping convertibles.

The "D" guns listed here are from 1971, coinciding with a run of convertibles as indicated by the "X" suffix model numbers . . . 34X, 36X.

:mrgreen: