flattop box..end label variation?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike722

Buckeye
I was trying to create a box end label for a flattop display poster, and so I found a good picture of a 44 flattop box end label for a 6 1/2 inch gun online, from a great article Bill Hamm wrote a while back on Gunblast.. the end label he had pictured looked just like a box I pulled out of my safe..
392477594.jpg

then I was trying to make the end label, with photoshop/etc (well, my son was photoshopping, I just watched) and I picked up another box I had for a 6 1/2 inch 44 to double check the line spacing/etc.. and it looked like this..
392477593.jpg

see the diiference?
well, confused, I checked all of my other flattop boxes..several 357s, the rest of my 44s, including the catalog number boxes, and every one I had looked like the second picture...I had exactly one box that was exactly like the picture in the article..
so, even though tis may just be chalked up to happenstance..please don't tell me I gotta have more than one "variation" of BOX.. :lol:

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'm confused by your images......

Mr. Hamm posts these boxes on Gunblast.

DSC00074.jpg

What he does NOT show is the really rare 6-1/2" box that shows the BKH-46 catalog number. I don't have one of those, either!!!

flatgate

mike722

Buckeye
You are right flatgate, I thought the box pictured was like my pic number 1.. but it is just like pic two..
the "s" in "Sturm" and the "s" in "Southport" are lined up, Sturm atop Southport, in all of the pics of boxes I've seen and all of my boxes except one.. and that is the box in pic 1.. the "s" in Southport in slightly inset underneath "Sturm"..
maybe I've simply lost my mind.. :lol:

mike722

Buckeye
and the period before the "44" is bigger... but it is also bigger on the catalog number boxes... ala 7.5 inch and the 10"..
maybe the bigger dot had to do with when it was printed.. this 44 box in question has a 27xxx serial number on the end..

I'd say the young lad working in the printshop on one of those days, set the type off, as well as changed the color shade of the inks.................OR was it a change of printing vendors???.....OR....................?? 8)

reminds us of the old story about a Ruger collector of 'yore' who was possibly contemplating "biting the bullet", looked down the bore of his RST and saw the difference of a type 1 and the "now" type1A , in the number of grooves down the barrel............... :roll: :?: 8) :shock:

Doc44

Single-Sixer
I checked the four boxes I have and three of them are like the one in the second photo. These boxes date to March, June, and November of 1957 as they are serial numbered to the revolver. The fourth box is like the one in the first photo. Unfortunately, it has no serial number on it and I bought it on ebay several months ago. It is in like new condition, so I assume it is from 1958 or later, but that is only a guess on my part.

Bill
Life Member RCA

contender

Ruger Guru
Now I gotta dig out my measly one 44 Flattop box to check it.
I noticed the font differences at first,, but not the offst letters. Go figure!

mike722

Buckeye
OK, here is another difference I found... this time on two (black wreath) Lightweight Single Six boxes, same kind of thing..

398299170.jpg

looks like the same kind of "offset" with the address line below "22 caliber revolver".. and the line "22 caliber revolver" is spread out farther on the label of the bottom box..

here are the 2 44 boxes again too..
398299046.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
You really know how to screw with us don'tcha?
Sheesh, MORE box variations. Heck, I'd be happy with one LWT box, now you show me this!