2nd Day....found tricolor lightweight "pics added"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Today was the second day of the show.....very slow.....until near the end I was taking a last tour of the show. An exhibitor was loading up and had several revolvers layed out. One was a flatgate, tricolor lightweight single six. It has an aluminum cylinder, larger flat faced ejector rod button, and an undistinguishable mark forward of the trigger guard on the bottom of the grip frame, an s? SN is 204104. It is at best 90% condition and has been converted. I think it is a factory second, but will contact Ruger to get a letter.

I am not going to post the price paid, because some here may think it is bragging.......if you want to know, pm me. Let's say maybe a third of its value. I will post pics tomorrow..... :D

Dave :wink:
Here are some pics.....

lightweight005.jpg

lightweight006.jpg

lightweight004.jpg

lightweight007.jpg

lightweight001.jpg

lightweight003.jpg

lightweight009.jpg

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Nice Lightweight!

This pic has me confused though, it shows a flat face ER button (you'd expect a dimple faced round button on a late tri-color) but the real confusing part is that the front sight seems to have disappeared!

lightweight001.jpg

Maybe the magic vanishing front sight trick is why the frame is marked with a smiley face :)

lightweight003.jpg

weaselmeatgravy said:
Nice Lightweight!

This pic has me confused though, it shows a flat face ER button (you'd expect a dimple faced round button on a late tri-color) but the real confusing part is that the front sight seems to have disappeared!

lightweight001.jpg

Maybe the magic vanishing front sight trick is why the frame is marked with a smiley face :)

lightweight003.jpg

The front sight is fine, it was caught up in the towel. And you are right, it does look like a smiley face! :D The ejector rod button has me confused as well. I'll call Ruger today and see what I can find out..........

Dave

chet15

Hawkeye
Heliman said:

This is where one of the electrodes was connected to the cylinder frame in order to put the silverish colored anodizing on it. Most Lightweights show this unusual looking mark.
Two similar marks, more oblong in shape can be found on the very bottom of the grip of XR3 grip frames.
Also, this gun doesn't show up on any of the "S" Lightweight lists that have been printed

As to the flat faced ejector button somebody may have changed it. But it might be original to the gun too, probably no way to ever tell. The dimple was only an extra step in the process of making these from the extruded stock. The dimple was probably machined into the front of the button first, then the button sliced off the extrusion. Would be easy to miss the dimple operation.
Chet15