Might have a line on a Single Six Lightweight.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jman8182

Bearcat
One of my gun pimps called me yesterday about a Ruger Single Six I might be interested in. He states it's a 5 digit and is unmolested except that maybe the rear sight had been changed. He stated it have an aluminum grip frame and some of the blueing has turned purple. :shock: He says he's not sure what it is worth and I told him condition, condition, condition. A collector would pay $600 and up for one ANIB. No box with this one. He offered it to me for $225 site unseen. I told him to hold it as I was to be there Suunday to pickup the Henry BSAC .22 rifle that arrived for me yesterday.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy it, but want a few of the experts to chime in. I know the price is real good. I was just wondering if there was anything specific to look for. Any help would be appreciated. I'll post pics Sunday evening after I see it. I may even have it! :D :D

Thanks.

Pete

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey Pete, I believe all LW's have a 6 digit serial number(2xxxxx) and a 4 5/8's BBL length...most LW's turn brown instead of purple(just what I have noticed)......still a decent price.... if not converted even a better deal....have fun, RR.

contender

Ruger Guru
It's not the aluminum grip frame that makes it a LWT,, it's the alloy main frame,, and in some variations,, the cylinder as well is alloy.
I agree,, ya need the books!

flatgate

Hawkeye
All Old Model Ruger Single Actions, except the Super Blackhawks, were made with aluminum grip frames.

The "5 digit" serial numbered Single-Sixes would NOT be Lightweights, as RR mentioned. They would have a drift adjustable rear sight, set in a dovetail slot in the top strap of the steel Cylinder Frame.

143562440.jpg

Guns from s/n 1 up to about 63,000 would have been shipped with the "flat loading gate", as pictured in the above image. After that s/n they were fitted with a standard, "round" loading gate. Some of the early guns will be found with an aftermarket loading gate. Most were from the Premier Weapons Company, out of California.

357816416.jpg

As mentioned by my Friends, one needs to acquire a book or two prior to jumping into the bottomless pit called Collecting..... :D

JMHO,

flatgate

Jman8182

Bearcat
HAWKEYE#28 said:
8) Pete........You need to get some Ruger Reference books........... :wink:

I have some books. I just don't have them memorized yet and needed quick info before tomorrow.
This is the "Go To" place for quick Ruger info.

Thanks Flatgate and Contender. You told me just what I needed to know.

I Love this place!

Pete