.357 Type 1 Transitional

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
This gun came up for auction a couple months ago and I bid on it, but didn't get it; way more money then I bid. The Auction Company said the winner put it right back up (guess he couldn't afford his own bid, maybe?), so it came back up and I, bid on it again (just got some money together after a gun show I was in), and won it this time, lot less money.
Really nice gun, looks like it just came out of a display case in 1963, but the package as discribed in the auction add was short two things, wax paper and Instruction Manual, but has the box and warranty cards. Going to keep it anyway and have ratttled the cage of the Auction House aready and they're looking for the missing items, and will adjust the price if not found. Long story but I'm happy to get it. Here's a few pics of it.
391686087.jpg

391686089.jpg

And the most important characteristic:
391686088.jpg

It has the steel ejector rod housing also, but didn't take a pic of it. It also shows that grayish early XR-3Red gripframe pretty well.
Enjoy,
HH

Well HH,
I would say that is pretty rare. A total of 300 made. I have been looking for one for awhile :( I do have a type 2 1 of 1000.
OUTSTANDING find. So what auction site was it on??????
Jim

OK flatgate you can tell your story about yours :wink:

bigbore45colt

Hunter
WOW, Hashknife, outstanding. That is one VERY hard gun to find. One like this is on my short list. I have a 6.5" but have never come across a 4 5/8".

Good for you, that is a heck of an addition to any Ruger collection. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing!!

If you don't get the oil wrap and manual from the auction house, drop me an email, I'm sure I have spares of both.

BB45C

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words, as I let myself get deeper and deeper into this Ruger collecting it means a lot. And Matt, I'll sure do that as I'd like to make it complete package if I can. Then, of course I'll need a Type 2 short barrel (I've got access to a Type 3) to make a complete set of short barrel Transitionals. This is a disease, but a really enjoyable one, and it keeps me out of the bars (no money). And Jim, it was on the Little John's Auction site in California, saw it through Proixbid.
Thanks again for all the replies.
HH

street

Hunter
That's a hard one to find. I found that model in a 6 1/2 in. bl. but never got one in 4 5/8. Way to go!!!!!

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, great gun! I only have about 10 reported of that one.
It has long been considered the rarest of the .357 transitionals.
Chet15

Chance

Buckeye
Good to see all that good living is paying off. You just keep coming up with the really good ones.

You coming down to the Ice House Show this weekend?

Congrats

street

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
Bob's List shows over 50 of the Type 1 Transitionals.

Chet15's list likely has many of the same guns as Bob's List, and vice versa.

:)

Of those 50, are they all 4 5/8s? Or does it include the 6 1/2 in guns also?

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
Hey Chance, I won't be coming down to the show, I just had back surgery last week (fused two vertebrae together) and couldn't walk that far yet. Working on it, but gun shows will have to wait a couple of months, as will cowboy matches, silhouette shoots and all that fun stuff. Have to make up for it with drinking I guess.

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
Hey, neato magneto Gary, what's the ship dates on those jems, I just called Ruger and this one was shipped 11/62. Also, the box doesn't have a serial # written on it and I was wondering if it was original, but reading Chad's book a little further reveals that Ruger didn't start writing the #'s on them till up about 94,400 or so. So, I'm figuring it's the original box alright.
HH

Hashknife Hartley said:
Hey, neato magneto Gary, what's the ship dates on those jems, I just called Ruger and this one was shipped 11/62. Also, the box doesn't have a serial # written on it and I was wondering if it was original, but reading Chad's book a little further reveals that Ruger didn't start writing the #'s on them till up about 94,400 or so. So, I'm figuring it's the original box alright.
HH
42750 - 12/62 BKH34
42977 - 11/62 BKH34
43075 - 11/62 BKH34
43582 - 11/62 BKH36
43034 - 12/62 BKH34

Might check with Chad but the early transition guns (ones that I have that were boxed) had s/n on the end of the box and not the side. Not sure when Ruger started numbering on the sides of the boxes.

radicalrod

Hunter
Well I think I have one of these but it is in the 60xxx range....maybe GW remembers.......I do remember that he called Ruger while we were in T Town and told me it letters as a 6 1/2 .......not a 4 5/8's.....once again he was yanking my chain GOOD......RR.