The 50 Best Guns Ever Made

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Well, I was a little late (almost 3 years) to the party but just stumbled onto this article:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/kentucky/2007/09/50-best-guns-ever-made

I clicked through it wondering when/whether a Ruger would appear and whether Ruger would get a fair shake against Colt in the typically biased press. Surprisingly, there were 5 Rugers on the list (10/22, .22 auto-pistol, Single Six, #1, & Blackhawk) and zero Colts. And no pandering to the black plastic rifle crowd. But that no 1911 pistol made the list yet the Remington XP-100 did was more than a little shocking.

"Field & Stream" . . . emphasis, hunting and shotgun games. Not too surprising that the majority of the guns are rifles and shotguns, and a few handguns that can theoretically be used for hunting.

No 1911's and Black Rifles? Wrong magazine.

I didn't understand the reference to Bill Ruger's Standard Pistol as being his second entry into the firearms field after a failed first effort?? What have I missed? Surely they're not referring to his machine-gun development stuff . . . are they?

:)

Very interesting thanks for the link.

I cain't say I agree with the entire list but on the other hand I cain't disagree with the entire list either. As far as best guns ever made I believe a large part of the list is Most popular guns ever made.
Still very interesting I enjoyed it. ps

Agreed. Those are all guns of note, and were the "hot setup" in their day. The term "best" perhaps confused here with "most popular" within a given demographic of shooters, as PS mentions.

These lists are always fun.

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
This list is an amalgam of hunting, classic, ground-breaking, or popular firearms. Some of them (S & W 500, Tar-Hunt RSG-12, Savage Mod. 99, and the Ithaca M37) don't fit my definition of "The 50 Best Firearms". Sorry, but the list isn't complete without including historically significant firearms like the Sharps, Martini-Henry, M1 Garand, MG42, and the M16 family.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Clinton defined "sex" a bit differently, so I figure F & S is entitled to define "Best" however they want.

I don't deny the importance of the 1911 and the black guns at all, but they are items I'm not "in to" so I'd put them on my list of 50 "important" guns, not necessarily "best" guns. In the same way, all motorcyclists would count Harley Davidsons as "important" motorcycles, but lots of folks would not count them among the "best" motorcycles.

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
tomiswho said:
Clinton defined "sex" a bit differently, so I figure F & S is entitled to define "Best" however they want.

I don't deny the importance of the 1911 and the black guns at all, but they are items I'm not "in to" so I'd put them on my list of 50 "important" guns, not necessarily "best" guns. In the same way, all motorcyclists would count Harley Davidsons as "important" motorcycles, but lots of folks would not count them among the "best" motorcycles.

How do you define "best"?

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Heavy Barrel said:
tomiswho said:

How do you define "best"?

Exactly!!!! However the h*ll I want to! that's what most all of us, magazines included, do, isn't it? My "best" is seldom anyone elses "best."

If you asked a dozen 'riters for a "best gun" list . . . you'd get a dozen different lists. Same if you asked the question here.

Heavy Barrel, I'll take all yer junk Colts. I'll even pay shipping.

;)