Question On OM Loading Gate Color?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deserttrans

Buckeye
I've noticed in pictures and some first hand observations. On some of the older flattops the loading gate is purple to brown color. Is this from replacement or the bluing process on that particular part?

Thanks Ron

On many OMs the grip frames or loading gates have turned plum or even cherry colored. It is a reaction of the bluing chemicals and the steel alloy. Silicon was added to the melt in order to increase fluidity of the metal when casting. If the silicon content was of the right amount, the metal would turn the plum color. Many collectors like it.

Only the Super Blackhawk steel grip frames will turn plum in the Old Models. All the rest have aluminum grip frames (yes, except the brass frames, but they're kinda obvious). It's the main frames that turn plum.

In the beginning, Ruger would re-blue your gun for free if it "got plummy" but they wouldn't guarantee the results. Usually, the plum came back, sometimes even more pronounced.

Personally, I like it and wish I had an extreme example.

:)

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'm plum crazy over those goofy colored Rugers......

357690092.jpg

This ol' Super has been Factory Refinished. Even the grip frame is plum....

flatgate

Danjet500":1dl1js51 said:
Plum grip frame on this SBH too.

SBH005.jpg
Danjet - does that super have a micro rear sight and non eagle barrel? Looks like a white box super. Just curious if you have a ship date. Should be Oct. 62 or earlier. Here is one that I have. Nice gun you have there.
10168SBH8.jpg

mstuck

Bearcat
Flatgate, I loved the look of that super so much it inspired me to get
this one!
PS. My wifes not very happy with you!! :lol:

SuperBlackhawk.jpg