Ran 357 BH 31-44998 by Records

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Axehandle

Buckeye
When I acquired this piece forum members pointed out that it was listed in RENE on page 57 as the highest known 30- and 31- sn with silver eagles... Forum member also pointed it that it is on the convertible list... Called Ruger today. If I heard correctly it shipped on 9/72 as a BKH-36X.. I'll have the letter in hand in a week or so and verify...

Axe, I'll be very interested to learn what the letter reveals.

"Bob Campbell's List of Old Model .357 Blackhawks" shows 31-44998 as being shipped in January of 1973 as a 4-5/8" convertible . . . making it a BKH-34X. Discrepancies like this are common.

It's very close to the end of the Old Models, as 31-45190 is shown as shipped in May of 1973 as the last one shipped. 31-45191 is shown as being scrapped at the factory.

This is the kinda stuff that keeps Ruger collecting interesting. I serve as Bob's "secretary" in maintaining TheList, so this information is of considerable interest. Many thanks to you for sharing it with us.

:) :) :)

flatgate

Hawkeye
HH, it's been my observation that the early NM's were shipped in the "left over" OM boxes........THEN the NM Boxes began to be used.

JMHO,

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
flatgate":2j174mfu said:
HH, it's been my observation that the early NM's were shipped in the "left over" OM boxes........THEN the NM Boxes began to be used.
JMHO,
flatgate

Right...no OM stickers known on red hinged boxes. Ruger had quite a supply of two-piece boxes (probably close to 30,000) so used them up first.
Chet15

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
From what I've seen, Ruger had no leftover OM boxes in .357 caliber. All early .357 NM's that I have seen were shipped in NM red hinged boxes. In fact, I suspect they ran out of OM .357 boxes while still shipping OM's so the very last of the OM .357 guns were shipped in OM .41 Mag boxes with white .357 stickers.

But the other caliber NM's, including the Super Blackhawk and the blue Single Sixes, have been seen in stickered OM boxes. Although none of my early NM .41 Mags have OM boxes (maybe those were pretty much used up shipping OM .357 guns). There were not many NM Super Blackhawks shipped in OM packaging, I think they only had a few leftover S47 boxes.

If any OM was ever shipped in a NM box, my money would be on the .357 but I think by and large they filled the gap with other OM boxes. But since the only other 6.5" gun was the BKH42, and the first 6.5" BN42's were in NM attire, they likely ran out of 6.5" boxes before running out of 6.5" OM guns, so a few of the very last BKH36 guns may have shipped in 7.5" barrel boxes.

Axehandle

Buckeye
Letter in hand... Serial number on the letter is not the one I gave over the phone. Explains a lot.... I'll call and get the right one...

Axehandle

Buckeye
Right... Not a convertible. This time made a point of asking for verification that did not ship with two cylinders... She repeated that it did not...

just a point of information, there is an Old model "S" gun over here on the west side of town, that was shipped in a new model box, and has the old model white label sticker on the end......the original owner still has the complete package, and letter from Ruger, and bill of sale from Cleveland Sports Headquaters............1973
A few of the guys are aware of it, and the owner still has NOT decided to sell ( wanted to trade) for it, with our own Bill, the appleman, in fact the 'radical 'one met and talked with him at one of the OGCA shows, sometime back..............I do not recall the exact number but had passed it on to Chad some years ago......

sorry you BKH did not 'letter' as an "X" 'Axe" but we see that happen all too often, good enough reason that Bob ( or 'Ale-8') do NOT make the note change too quickly..... :wink:

Just want to confirm everything . . .

Serial number 31-44998

Barrel length 4-5/8"

Ship date 1/73

Ship configuration BKH-34

NOT A BKH-34X . . . NO 9mm cylinder

Above all correct??

Sorry to be a pest, but we do try to do it right.

Talked to Bob, and it has been a long time so he has no idea where he got the original information. This happens on occasion.

:)

Axehandle

Buckeye
And here is the letter.... :D
31-44998.jpg