Vaquero .40 S&W San Diego Sheriff Commemorative

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SDPEC

Bearcat
Howdy.

One of our customers contacted me and gave me links to posts on this forum regarding the Ruger .40 S&W Vaquero commemorative done for the San Diego Sheriff's Department's 150th anniversary in 2000. I'm the President of San Diego Police Equipment Company Inc. We've been a law enforcement distributor for Sturm, Ruger for approximately 25 years, and we ordered and sold the guns. I see there seems to be a little confusion as to the details of this model, so I thought I'd try and help clear it up. I apologize in advance for the lengthy post. I just thought it best to answer more questions instead of less.

In late 1998 or early 1999, I met with members of the committee organizing the upcoming celebration of the department's 150th Anniversary in 2000. We discussed various concepts for a commemorative badge, and several members asked about producing a commemorative firearm. A western themed gun was thought to be appropriate, and an engraved Colt Single Action Army was suggested by several members. Having experience with previous LE commemorative guns, I cautioned that the cost would likely be prohibitive for the Colt. Other's suggested a S&W double action revolver, as the department had issued those prior to converting to semi autos. At the end of the meeting, I promised to research possibilities.

Having a long business, and personal relationship with Sturm Ruger, and having been their largest LE distributor, I felt they might be amenable to making some sort of special feature gun, so, I contemplated ideas. What if Ruger would chamber one of their western style revolvers in .40 S&W, the cartridge in current use by the department at the time? This would tie in the old with the new. I contacted our representative for Ruger, Ron Macy, and ran the idea by him. He felt it was a great idea, so we started making inquiries. Hitting a bit of a brick wall in the "sales prevention department", I finally called Bill Ruger Jr., and ran the idea by him. He replied, "no problem, that would be easy", "it sounds like a fantastic idea". Common theme, virtually every large piece of business we did in the old days was stifled on the way up, due to insignificant perceived problems, until we contacted Tom, Bill Jr. or WBR himself, who would then, "make it happen". After more meetings with Captain Dennis Cole, Captain John Tenwolde, and Sheriff Bill Kolender, the designs for both the badge and the guns were approved.

The initial order to Ruger was for 500 units, the usual minimum Ruger would accept for a special run at the time. Since there was no guarantee of how many orders we would get, we hoped that we could sell that many. When initial orders were strong, representatives from the department asked if we could increase the amount. Though a little hesitant, we placed another order for 500 more units.

The guns were received from Ruger as standard stainless Vaqueros, chambered in .40 S&W, model KBNV-404SW. San Diego Police Equipment Company Inc. then arranged for an outside contractor to do the laser engraving on the right side of barrel of the gun, as well as the right grip panel. (We originally experimented with acid etching the barrel, but the results were unsatisfactory). We also had a custom display case maker design and manufacture glass top, solid oak cases, with Kelly green lining, inletted for the Vaquero. (The lining color was a tribute to former Sheriff John Duffy, who used it in everything from the ink he signed letters with, to patrol cars.) A place for the commemorative badge was inlet into the box, next to the gun, but the badges were not sold as part of the gun set. The badge was, and is, an official badge for the San Diego Sheriff's Department, and was authorized for wear during the anniversary year 2000, and in succeeding years during the anniversary month of April. They were not sold to civilian employees of the department, except set into Lucite blocks. There were two models of badges that could be ordered through the Deputy Sheriff's Association. A silver tone alloy badge, (39.00), and a solid sterling silver badge, (69.00), both of the same design, with the owners rank on the front, and no badge number. A facsimile of Sheriff Kolender's signature was cast into the underside of the badges sold for the anniversary, as a mark of authenticity. The badge orders were completely separate from the gun orders, and many more badges were sold than guns. Small quantities of additional badges were manufactured for the Deputy Sheriff's Association in subsequent years, but do not contain Bill Kolender's signature.

The price for the gun and case set was $499.00. The reasonable price, and uniqueness of the gun, contributed to the initial brisk sales. Orders for the gun sets slowed before the second 500 guns were exhausted, and some cancelled their orders, partially due to delays in receiving the guns, cases, and getting the engraving done.

With a slight overrun, a total of 1015 guns were received by our company. Serial numbers were contained between 57-49XXX and 57-85XXX. We received them in various size groups between September of 1999 and the end of April 2000. Approximately 800 were engraved and sold as commemorative models. Of the remaining approximately 200 guns, a fairly large number, perhaps 50-75+, had been rejected for use as commemoratives due to poor quality on the engraving work, where the guns hadn't been set straight in the fixture, mistakes in the initial setup runs, scratches or marks from the fixtures, etc. (We never used that engraver again). They, and the remaining unmarked guns were sold to several dealers, with many going to Sheriff's Deputies who hadn't ordered on the initial order, or those who wanted a "shooter".

Some early re-sellers, (or planned resellers), of the guns made the claim that Ruger would never chamber a Vaquero in that caliber ever again in their sales pitches. No promise was ever made by Ruger or anyone else to that effect, though, other than the double cylinder guns made for a commercial distributor some time later, and a few clean up guns made from old parts, I'm not aware of any others that were manufactured.

Even though it wasn't hugely profitable, it's still my favorite of any similar project I've been involved with in the last 30+ years in the business. Probably because it was done for our friends. Compared to some of the other "commemoratives" done in the past, I think it turned out rather well.

I hope I helped fill in some of the details for those who own these guns and I hope you enjoy them. You can thank Bill Ruger Jr. They wouldn't have happened without him.

Best regards,

Don Hacklander
President, San Diego Police Equipment Company, Inc.

PS. No, we don't have any of the unmarked guns left. I wish we did. I didn't even put one aside for myself. Anybody want to make me a deal on one? Maybe I have something else I could trade you? :wink:

flattop44

Buckeye
Don,

Great post with great information. We certainly do appreciate it. I get questions from time to time about these guns and this will answer them.

I was fortunate enough to be able to buy one of these guns several years ago, I believe it was an overrun gun that one of your employees had purchased. But I too let it get away from me.

Thanks again, Bill

chet15

Hawkeye
Great info Don!! That really helps to substantiate a lot of the things we've heard.

Ruger published a list a while ago for distributors of most of the special distributor models they've made and claimed that their grand total at the time for the KBNV404SW was 1,164 units. Obviously, anything over the 1,015 you guys got went through other distributors including Davidson's and Banger's in Alabama as late as 2004. Several of these included "cleanup" guns from the original Vaquero "cleanup" production with sn's known as high as 58-87646. Everything up to that last number has a Southport barrel address on the left side of the barrel. More recently, Ruger did another "cleanup" of 16 to 25 units which all appear in the 58-99210 to 58-99234 serial number range and these all have the Newport Warning rollmark on the bottom of the barrel (same size font on both lines of the address).

Here's a couple pics of our KBNV404SW, which is also the the only known "D" gun known to have been produced in a .40, serial number D57-49437. It was shipped to Davidson's in one of their "D" serial number warehouse cleanings a few years ago.

KBNV404SWD57-49437.jpg

KBNV404SWD57-49437rollmark.jpg

Chet15

SDPEC

Bearcat
Glad I could help.

Back in the day, we were the largest LE distributor, and sold quite a few agencies Rugers. I'll try and look for any other areas I can add information to.

It's nice to see how much interest there seems to be in Ruger collecting now. There was a time when even very rare guns drew little interest.

Terry T

Buckeye
"SPDEC",

Any chance you were involved in or have knowledge of Ruger's attempt to obtain the CHP contract in about 1980 with a .38spl stainless big grip 6" Security Six?

We have found several that are marked 'CHP' on the left side above the trigger. They are an identical configuration to the S&W 'CHP model' in use at that time.

Thanks,
Terry T

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Don, that is great info - thanks for sharing!

I bought one of the commemorative guns from an "early reseller", I guess, I have it in my records that I picked it up 23 Feb 2001. It is complete with the badge that I am not supposed to have according to your info (but am not giving back!).

sdsheriff.jpg

I copied the text from the online auction ad and pasted it into my collection spreadsheet so I wouldn't lose the info. Here is what that ad said:

150th ANNIVERSARY, SAN DIEGO COUNTY SHERIFF'S RUGER VAQUERO WITH ORIGINAL BADGE AND OAK PRESENTATION CASE! The Vaquero is chambered for the 40 Cal. Smith and Wesson Round. The 40 Caliber round is what the San Diego County Sheriff's Department currently uses in their Glock Pistols. On the side of the barrel is stenciled "San Diego Sheriff" in black. On the grip is engraved the Department's commemorative badge. A genuine Department badge also comes with the revolver and case. The badge is silver plated and was issued to a Corrections Sergeant assigned to Detentions. On the obverse is engraved the current Sheriff's signature (Bill Kolender). The oak presentation case is beautiful with green felt and can be mounted on the wall if desired.

The seller had a $500 minimum bid on the gun with a $1000 Buy-Now price, but no reserve and I was the only bidder. So my total with shipping was $520. From the way the ad reads in conjunction with what you said, it sounds like the seller must have been a dealer with the gun on consignment from the original buyer. It looks like the original owner lost money on the deal if he gave $499 for the gun plus had to pay extra for the badge. I will have to dig the gun out and look at the badge to see if I can figure out which one it is - the ad said "silver plated", so I'm guessing it is the cheaper one. The gun must be one of the first as it is a 57-49xxx SN.

Later, I picked up a consecutive pair of the overruns from "California Police Supply". Was that your outfit with a previous name, or is that another shop? I have those logged as received 12 Apr 2001. They are in the middle of the SN range you stated at 57-68xxx.

Later that year, I picked up a consecutive pair of the first run .40 S&W x 38-40 convertibles that were accidentally shipped with Ivorex grips. They were meant to be sent with wood grips, but the first 134 guns got the white grips by mistake. Those guns were "in the air" from AZ on 9/11 but the plane made it through to the east coast before all air traffic was shutdown and they made the rest of the journey by truck per usual. I picked them up 13 Sep 2001.

For a good while after this, I recall seeing a recurring ad in Gunlist for overruns of the single cylinder .40 S&W guns, I think he had them priced at $450 at first and later dropped them to $425 to move out what was left.

SDPEC

Bearcat
Terry T":ot64k82z said:
"SPDEC",

Any chance you were involved in or have knowledge of Ruger's attempt to obtain the CHP contract in about 1980 with a .38spl stainless big grip 6" Security Six?

We have found several that are marked 'CHP' on the left side above the trigger. They are an identical configuration to the S&W 'CHP model' in use at that time.

Thanks,
Terry T

My company wasn't in business in 1980, but I'm aware of the CHP Security Sixes in .38 Special. My recollection is that they were made for the contract but the order was somehow "canceled" after they were made.

I was however involved with the CHP testing the GP100. CHP was conducting tests on .357 revolvers, due to performance of the 38 Special +P+ "Treasury loads" that they had switched to several years before. When we were notified that they wished to do an endurance test on .357 revolvers we contacted Ruger. The Stainless GP100 wasn't out yet, but Tom Ruger had stainless samples built and he personally came out to California with them. He and I, along with the area rep Ron Macy. met with CHP, including a private meeting with the Commissioner. Tom expressed his concerns that Ruger be given a fair chance, and he referenced the earlier contract. The Commissioner assured him the test would be fair.

The test consisted of firing 10,000 rounds of factory .357 magnum ammunition. As I recall, it was all Winchester 145 grain Silvertip. The revolvers would be cleaned after a certain amount of rounds, and they would be checked for measurable wear, or parts breakage. All of the other revolvers tested had parts breakage, or wear that would cause the gun to be taken from service, some in much less than 10,000 rounds. The reports on the GP100's, unlike the others, were very short.

"No malfunctions or measurable wear of any kind in 10,000 rounds fired".

CHP did buy some .357 revolvers after those tests, not Rugers though. But it was the time when agencies were converting to automatics, and they went on to purchase S&W 4006 automatics for the entire department. Recently, they again purchased S&W 4006 automatics, (9000 as I recall), despite receiving a significantly lower bid from at least one vendor, Sigarms.

Apparently, CHP really likes S&W.

SDPEC

Bearcat
weaselmeatgravy":3bv3yrou said:
Don, that is great info - thanks for sharing!

I bought one of the commemorative guns from an "early reseller", I guess, I have it in my records that I picked it up 23 Feb 2001. It is complete with the badge that I am not supposed to have according to your info (but am not giving back!).

sdsheriff.jpg

I copied the text from the online auction ad and pasted it into my collection spreadsheet so I wouldn't lose the info. Here is what that ad said:

150th ANNIVERSARY, SAN DIEGO COUNTY SHERIFF'S RUGER VAQUERO WITH ORIGINAL BADGE AND OAK PRESENTATION CASE! The Vaquero is chambered for the 40 Cal. Smith and Wesson Round. The 40 Caliber round is what the San Diego County Sheriff's Department currently uses in their Glock Pistols. On the side of the barrel is stenciled "San Diego Sheriff" in black. On the grip is engraved the Department's commemorative badge. A genuine Department badge also comes with the revolver and case. The badge is silver plated and was issued to a Corrections Sergeant assigned to Detentions. On the obverse is engraved the current Sheriff's signature (Bill Kolender). The oak presentation case is beautiful with green felt and can be mounted on the wall if desired.

The seller had a $500 minimum bid on the gun with a $1000 Buy-Now price, but no reserve and I was the only bidder. So my total with shipping was $520. From the way the ad reads in conjunction with what you said, it sounds like the seller must have been a dealer with the gun on consignment from the original buyer. It looks like the original owner lost money on the deal if he gave $499 for the gun plus had to pay extra for the badge. I will have to dig the gun out and look at the badge to see if I can figure out which one it is - the ad said "silver plated", so I'm guessing it is the cheaper one. The gun must be one of the first as it is a 57-49xxx SN.

Later, I picked up a consecutive pair of the overruns from "California Police Supply". Was that your outfit with a previous name, or is that another shop? I have those logged as received 12 Apr 2001. They are in the middle of the SN range you stated at 57-68xxx.

Later that year, I picked up a consecutive pair of the first run .40 S&W x 38-40 convertibles that were accidentally shipped with Ivorex grips. They were meant to be sent with wood grips, but the first 134 guns got the white grips by mistake. Those guns were "in the air" from AZ on 9/11 but the plane made it through to the east coast before all air traffic was shutdown and they made the rest of the journey by truck per usual. I picked them up 13 Sep 2001.

For a good while after this, I recall seeing a recurring ad in Gunlist for overruns of the single cylinder .40 S&W guns, I think he had them priced at $450 at first and later dropped them to $425 to move out what was left.

No CPE isn't our company. They were the dealer that handled the registrations for all the Deputies for us, and they bought a number of the overruns/blems from us, along with a couple other dealers. Funny how no one at the time was very interested in them, me included. Still wish I would have kept one.

And at $520, the original owner of your gun definitely lost money, especially after they paid tax and the state fees for registration. Sounds like they probably had money problems. If your badge is the less expensive one, it will say "alloy" on the back. They actually stay nicer looking than the Sterling ones, which tarnish pretty easily. And as long as you don't come to CA and flash the badge around trying to impersonate a deputy, I don't think you'll have any problems.

Terry T

Buckeye
Don,
Thanks for the quick reply.

We'd still like to run down the particulars of the CHP contract 'snafu'. My guess is that it was something like the recent SIG experience. SIG offered a much lower bid but the CHP went to court to keep S&Ws. Said it was a "training and compatibility" issue and the court agreed.

Interesting story about the GP100s - came out as durable but didn't get the contract.

By the way, my son just joined the CHP. He's currently serving in South L.A.
Terry T

chet15

Hawkeye
Just had 58-99529 confirmed as another KNV-404SW cleanup gun. Now it looks like there are two groups of cleanup guns in the .40. I have no idea how many guns there might be in this second group though.
Chad.

SouthernGypsy

Bearcat
chet15":39zpih1x said:
Just had 58-99529 confirmed as another KNV-404SW cleanup gun. Now it looks like there are two groups of cleanup guns in the .40. I have no idea how many guns there might be in this second group though.
Chad.

I can tell you that I own KBNV-404SW numbers 58-99505 and 58-99506 and I was wondering why they fell outside of the listed range of initial numbers. One unique thing about mine is that there is nothing at all stamped on the left side of the barrel, instead they moved the usual "warnings" that are stamped into the LH side of the barrel and moved it up undernieth the barrel. So it makes for a nice, clean look. Any idea why this was done?

I had been wanting one of these .40S&W models and was lucky enough to find these brand new still sealed in the box and unfired. The only problem was that the distributor who had them refused to sell them seperatly because they had been saving them for someone who wanted sequential serial numbers. They arn't part of an set where you get two in one box, just two individuals that he had that just happend to have sequential serial numbers. I actually am leaving the second one NIB and selling it. The only reason I haven't yet is that I gave it some time because my brother was thinking of buying the extra but in the end he's since decided that single actions wasn't "his thing", even though he does admit that mine is one of the most beautiful pistols he's ever seen anywhere.

One question though is you mention that these higher serial numbers are probably "cleanup" guns, what does that really mean? I've been around guns all my life (tactical driving specialist for GSS for 17 years before taking an early out) and don't think I have ever heard that term, at least not with reguard to the manufacture of guns.

Terry T

Buckeye
"SouthernGypsy",
Production of the original sized Vaquero ceased when the smaller sized New Vaquero was introduced in 2005.

However, a few original sized Vaqueros started showing up a couple of years later. Collector's made an assumption (you know what they say about assumptions!) that Ruger had some left over parts from the sudden change over in models and decided to make up some original sized Vaqueros to use up the 'left over' parts. hence the 'clean up' term. 'Clean up' the inventory of left over parts.

But----- more than a couple of thousand have shown up leading to the guess that Ruger is continuing to cast original full sized Vaquero frames and make both sizes side by side.

These late production 'full sized' Vaqueros are distinguished by having the 'warning' stamped on the bottom of the barrel rather than the side.

Without someone on the inside (of Ruger), we collectors are running a bit blind on this one.
Hope this helps,
Terry T

SouthernGypsy

Bearcat
Thanks. What I have definatally has the Warning Roll Stamped on the underside of the barrels instead of on the side and I've already mentioned the serial numbers. The strange thing was that they came in a box marked "Catalog No. KBNV-404SW" and the NV should stand for New Vaquero yet whats inside seems to be the larger older models, dispite the fact that the serial numbers on the label match the guns in the boxes. The boxes also have a large 03 printed on that end label, I was wondering if that could have meant 2003 but have found no reference to that anywhere. The only other marking on the label is "Model 00515" and under that "stainless ag", the serial number, and of course "Caliber .40 S&W" along with two bar codes.

I'm happy with mine (as I said, I have two and will be selling the extra, any takers?) though I actually have small hands and much prefer the feel of the New models, in fact what I really love is the Montado but at the same time I really wanted the .40 S&W caliber. So I don't think I can have it all, not unless it's possible to take a Montado in some caliber and have someone retool it for the .40 S&W and that would be unrealisticly expensive beyond all reason I'm sure.

I might take mine (yea, I know heracy for a rare model) and have it reworked some, Montado style hammer/trigger setup, springs, and coould even have the front of the cylender rounded a little like the Montados, heck I could probably even have the eject lever replaced with the cresent one from the newer ones. Though none of that will help the size in my hands but I have a friend who has an old model and he has very nice custom wood grips made for his that are thinner than the ones used on the old style Vaqueros and feels nice in my hands. He's had some custom work done on his also, his freewheels better, always stops lined up right, you can spin his either way, his trigger is shorter and nicer, and he now has a half-cock position. I think all that (not counting the grips) cost him about $225

Terry T":szngd0cz said:
"SouthernGypsy",
Production of the original sized Vaquero ceased when the smaller sized New Vaquero was introduced in 2005.

However, a few original sized Vaqueros started showing up a couple of years later. Collector's made an assumption (you know what they say about assumptions!) that Ruger had some left over parts from the sudden change over in models and decided to make up some original sized Vaqueros to use up the 'left over' parts. hence the 'clean up' term. 'Clean up' the inventory of left over parts.

But----- more than a couple of thousand have shown up leading to the guess that Ruger is continuing to cast original full sized Vaquero frames and make both sizes side by side.

These late production 'full sized' Vaqueros are distinguished by having the 'warning' stamped on the bottom of the barrel rather than the side.

Without someone on the inside (of Ruger), we collectors are running a bit blind on this one.
Hope this helps,
Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
"SouthernGypsy",
The low spur Super Blackhawk hammer is a 'drop in' swap in the original sized Vaqueros. Not quite a Montado but very close. I too have small hands and did such a swap on one of mine. Slimmer grips can also make a big difference. It's surprising how such a small change can really change the feel of a piece. If you can find some old wood Blackhawk grips that are a bit beat up, you could just sand on them till they suit you and then put an oil finish on them. That way you'd keep all of the original parts.

By the way, the gun does have some collector value - less than 100 have been made up with the 'warning' under the barrel and only about 1,000 with the warning on the side of the barrel. My point is that if you modify the gun with parts swaps - keep all of the original parts so that the gun can be restored if the next owner wants the original configuration. In the mean time - enjoy the heck out of it.
Terry T

chet15

Hawkeye
Hmmm...looks like another 25 or so guns in this 2nd cleanup run. Wonder how many they're going to make when all is said and done? Can they have that many cylinders and/or barrels laying around?
Chet15

tmgreene

Bearcat
I have 2 consecutives I did shoot one it is sweet . I wanted to keep them unfired but I spent to much money to leave them pristine. One will stay unfired
Frist batch cleanups 215 and 216

SouthernGypsy

Bearcat
Shouldn't be anymore, usually thats what a cleanup run is... it's the last of the last pieces being finished out into completed guns. The released them in 2009 and they would appear on the market new from time to time for about a year there and then they dried up and I havent seen any new ones since, only used ones that were unfired so advertized as "new" yet not from the original dealer, on occasion.

tmgreene

Bearcat
The ones I bought Had factory casings marked jan 2010. What was the dates on yours. I found the match from another guy than the first gun ,one was a Davidsons did you shoot your your 40s yet ?
TG