"Found a gun - will you come and get it?"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

XLIV

Single-Sixer
The widow down the road called.."I found a gun in the drawer and I don't want it in the house. It was my husband's, will you come and get it?"

Heart racing as fast as my feet, cross the street, down the road. Forgot what it was to run like that. Got to the door, out of breath, down the hallway to the dresser..Hoping to see a surplus 1911, or a python..or a...

Oh well. Who can't always use another 922...
fwrfa1.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Why are you complaining? A gift horse kicked your door,, and while we all hope to stumble upon a rare piece,, smile at the fact you were given a neat little gun!

Terry T

Buckeye
I agree with 'Contender'. These are neat little guns and were a good value in their time. A good example of a 'working man's' gun. From an historical, 2nd amendment point of view, a handgun that an ordinary working man can afford is a huge deal. Handguns should not be available to only the rich in a free country such as ours.

I even know a fellow that has put together a very extensive collection of H&Rs just because they are more affordable to collect than Colts, etc.

Also says a lot about your reputation as an honest citizen - that the widow thought of you as a responsible person to give the gun to.
Terry T

XLIV

Single-Sixer
who's complaining?

I fondled it all night, wiped it down, took pictures of it and posted it to show it off (hoping lovemydals would be jealous).

Wouldnt it have nice if it was a scratched up jared gun tho?

lovemydals

Buckeye
XLIV,

I might have an original box for it. I will check my stash of extra boxes & let you know. Knowing the s/n prefix will help narrow it down to the correct box. From the color & style of the grips, I'm thinking late 1950's to early 1960's.

lmd

contender

Ruger Guru
XLIV; Maybe I sounded a bit harsh,, I hope you didn't take my post wrong. Anytime a free gun is offered,, I'll take them with a SMILE! (Even a junky Jennings. I'll tear it up just so I can tinker with it.)
We all dream of finding that rare,, old classic firearm,, and getting it for clunker pricing or as a gift,, but usually,, it just doesn't happen too often.

XLIV

Single-Sixer
Outlaw joe wales - nothing harmed. I too cherish any of these machines that come my way. The internet makes it easy for detective work of it's origin.

lmd -

M40191 -

I impressed by the heft of it. I have another, a second model (I think) and it feels lighter even with a longer barrel. All the parts look to be milled. What a concept.

Anyway, good to see you on..PM me if you have a box..I'll find somthing to trade you for it.

lovemydals

Buckeye
XLIV,

That s/n dates it to 1953. Ran short on time last night & didn't get a chance to look for a box. Will do so over the weekend & get back to you.
Just to be sure, you received an H&R 922. Correct?

lmd

XLIV

Single-Sixer
Yep..a 922. It surprises me it's that early given it's nice condition. Maybe it was just a quick grab gun for intruders.

The widow and her late husband were good friends so it will be a wonderful way to remember them.

Hope to see you at the next northern (way northern ) Cali show.. do you ever do the Kfalls shows?

1gg9js.jpg

34rh9uo.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
The last instance I heard of with a widow lady asking something like this, an Illinois collector that I know of wound up with a consecutive pair of NIB 2-digit .44 flattops! Were numerous other goodies (non-Ruger) that were there too...all apparently put away in the '50's and '60's...Winchesters, Colts etc.
Chet15

resident

Single-Sixer
As a young-20's college kid, I borrowed my Dad's H&R 922 for a hunting trip and stopped for the night at a cheap motel, leaving it beneath the car seat.
Next morning, the vent window was found pried, and the gun was gone. :cry:

Good thing my Dad never knew I'd borrowed it, but sad I didn't have the SN to report it stolen. Sure wish I still had it, now that he's gone. (Still got his nice Marlin Mod. 80 tho'.... made circa 1939 with no serial number at all.)

Chance

Buckeye
About 6 years ago my best friend died and a couple of months later his widow called and asked if I wanted Jim's guns. She said If I didn't want them she would call the sheriff to come and get them. Since their son didn't want them I told her I would take them and keep them safe in case their grandson should want them someday.

lovemydals

Buckeye
XLIV,

I checked my known stash for H&R 922 boxes last night & only found boxes for the 2" & 6" revolvers. I have another place I need to check & will get back to you ASAP!

lmd

Johnnu2

Hunter
Haven't posted in a long while; but love the "widow" stories. I have three:
Widow GAVE a 4 digit, 44 Flattop to a LEO friend of mine; I have it now. Another gave an OM SBH to another LEO friend....got that one too :) Final story (altho I have more); lady gave me her father's ole shotgun that had been standing in the closet for MANY years. Turns out go be an unfired (1959 vintage IIRC) Ithaca Mod 37 Featherweight. One of her daughters had a son and when he got old enough to "understand" I presented him with his grandfathers shotgun (hope he really "understands" some day). John N.

coastie

Bearcat
Have recovered three of 12 stolen from home on the early 1990's.
Thank you Houston PD.

Ruger 10-22, Universal .30 carbine, and Ruger SA .357 at gunshow.

Keep them numbers and descriptions handy......and safe.

NICE GRIPS on that 922!

[Norwegian M-1914 still out there, time to record on those databases mentioned above.]

lovemydals

Buckeye
XLIV,

Found a box & Intruction manual for your four inch H&R 922 revolver. The s/n written on the box starts with a "P" & five digits. If interested, I will consider $25 shipped. Can send pic's if need be.

lmd

PS. Kfalls = Klamath Falls, OR? If so, just expressed an interest in attending a show or two there in the near future to a friend the other day.

Longrange

Bearcat
I got a VERY NICE Colt Detective model that way from the wife's Grandma she brought it down stairs and asked me to dispose of it! I said yes I will with a giant smile on my face!

wixedmords

Blackhawk